dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

Who did you all order from?

Julie.

Now the expected delivery date has been adjusted from Tuesday to Wednesday.

Oh, well, another day to revel in the anticipation. :mbanana:

Edited by Absomphe

Oh, oh! I got a confirmation from Julie, but no tracking info yet.

Who did you all order from?

Eventually Fedex will let you know, I just got mine last night. Remember that her small store got hit by a tsunami of orders. Julie will take care of your order, which is why she gets so many orders to begin with.

Edited by Miguel

Sippin on a wee sample of blues cat at the moment. Very nice. Lots of fennel up front with a lingering woodsy/earthy aftertaste which i presume would be the AA. Not up front as much which is not a bad thing, but i prefer it more pronounced.

Will have to have a few glasses before i feel i can properly make up my mind about this one. You wont be disappointed though.

Edited by greytail

I'm still neurotically checking CSC every 2 seconds to see if they got new stock for sale. :(

If you're open to other vendors you might want to check out Chamber Street Wines or Astor Wine & Spirits' websites. ;)

My BC order arrived this afternoon (really, it's rather remarkable that Julie got everything out so fast, given the circumstances--kudos to her) and I'm enjoying my second glass.

It's top-notch, of course. The family resemblance to L'Artisinale is there, but not as powerfully as I had anticipated. Actually, the absinthe it reminds me of most--surprisingly--is Jade Eddy. It has a similar peppery spiciness, dryness, and elegance. I also get a bit of Walton Waters in the finish (and a bit of its richness on the nose, especially neat), which is very interesting, given the distillation protocol Cheryl and Artemis have outlined above. The color is a beautiful light peridot and the louche is just a shy of opalescent (not as opaque as the standard DP offerings).

All in all, a very classy, even traditional, offering that just about everyone should enjoy. Congrats to all involved--this is a fine absinthe.

the louche is just a shy of opalescent (not as opaque as the standard DP offerings).

This somewhat surprises me, since Blues Cat is Eric's recipe, and he is known to prefer his absinthe on the thick and creamy side.

L'Artianale certainly struck me that way.

Edited by Absomphe

The louche didn't strike me as being as opaque as either of the DPs (which are among the most opaque I've encountered) or as L'Artisanale. It's not thin, by any means--just on the cloudy side of opalescent, IMO.

I'll be interested to hear your take, Abs.

Louching up a proper glass now. We'll see how things go. Does have a quick louche to be sure.

Hmmm. Well. If anyone is interested in a trade let me know. Not bad by any means. Just dont think i'll be drinking this often.

Edited by greytail

Don't judge it based upon my interpretations. It isn't what i was expecting, but it still is a fine absinthe and those involved are to be commended on a job well done.

Edited by greytail

Monday! :yahoo:

Don't judge it based upon my interpretations. It isn't what i was expecting, but it still is a fine absinthe and those involved are to be commended on a job well done.

Admittedly, I've not tried very many commercial absinthes, I can still count on just two hands, but I would say most of my initial impressions were changed after several follow up glasses. Example; the taste of Vieux Carre put me off a little. I didn't expect the strong génépi smell and taste but I savor it now. Maybe others experienced this when breaking in their palate?

Edited by eskay

Thanks Abs and Miguel. Quite right, yippers, true dat. Just a little flare up of Blues Cat fever. Got the word today, delivery scheduled for May 17. Julie's record for customer service remains unblemished.

Doesn't seem like the reviews are that great thus far.

Not sure how you read a negative review into my comments, which I thought were pretty glowing. And they were intended as first impressions--not a formal review--for precisely this reason:

Admittedly, I've not tried very many commercial absinthes, I can still count on just two hands, but I would say most of my initial impressions were changed after several follow up glasses.

An absinthe can change, sometimes radically, in the weeks or even months after it's opened and has the chance to breathe. I already think BC is stellar, and I can't wait to see what it's going to taste like a few weeks from now, and a few weeks after that.

I wouldn't recommend anyone trading a bottle of any absinthe after only a glass or two upon opening; might turn out to be a mistake. At the very least, tasting it periodically will be an educational experience.

Edited by AiO

It's not thin, by any means--just on the cloudy side of opalescent, IMO.

I'll be interested to hear your take, Abs.

On the cloudy side of opalescent actually sounds quite nice. In fact, (generally) it would seem visually preferable to a louche that is completely opaque.

Besides, I'm always more concerned with the mouthfeel, which isn't always predicated on the density of the louche.

Fear not, Cinemaphile™.

You can count on my perspective, as soon as those bottles arrive. :)

Edited by Absomphe

I'm so excited about the reviews.

I feel like the folks involved have put their heart and souls into this project. They aren't Edward III type folks. These people know a bit about this booze. Ask them!

Actually, the absinthe it reminds me of most--surprisingly--is Jade Eddy.

Now THAT gets me excited. I'm hoping to pick mine up tomorrow, but will most likely have to wait for Sunday night to crack it open (car repair gods willing).

It's top-notch, of course. The family resemblance to L'Artisinale is there, but not as powerfully as I had anticipated. Actually, the absinthe it reminds me of most--surprisingly--is Jade Eddy. It has a similar peppery spiciness, dryness, and elegance. I also get a bit of Walton Waters in the finish...

When I first tasted L'Artisanale about a year ago, one of the first things that struck me was the resemblance to Walton Waters.

Doesn't seem like the reviews are that great thus far.

You probably need to know AiO. I've never known him to traffic in hyperbole.

Not sure how you read a negative review into my comments, which I thought were pretty glowing. And they were intended as first impressions--not a formal review--for precisely this reason:

...It isn't what i was expecting...

I would caution everyone that there has been so much hype and anticipation over this one that it might be quite natural for some people to initially experience some disappointment or over-elation with it until their "filters" return to normal.

I would caution everyone that there has been so much hype and anticipation over this one that it might be quite natural for some people to initially experience some disappointment with it until their "filters" return to normal.

Well said. I know I like the Delaware Phoenix absinthes, and I liked L'Artisanale, but I honestly have no idea what to expect from this one. I have the excitement that I would from getting a bottle of any absinthe I haven't tried yet...but I'm not under the impression that's it's going to be the most unbelievable, best absinthe I've ever tasted. I just hope it's good. :laugh:

I agree post #1045 offered some helpful levity. In any case, I believe that billnchristy's mention of some less-than-favorable reviews was largely inspired by Greytail's take on the Blues Cat and his readiness to trade it away so soon after buying it, and not so much by AiO's observations.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I suppose it's difficult to be both blunt and objective about products in a forum where the manufacturers are part of the community, but hopefully we can all recognize that it's not meant as a personal dig or even necessarily a criticism of quality if we happen to not favor a particular absinthe. That just leaves more for the rest of us who DO enjoy a particular absinthe, and I'm all for that.

[Edited now that I see how the time-zones affects where posts show up!]

Edited by Jay