dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

I think you're confusing yourself with yourself.

I thought he was quoting from the Lanfray trial transcript. :twitchsmile:

Alfred Jarry led an extremely hedonistic life, especially when it came to alcoholic beverages. Between wine, brandy, & absinthe, he damn nearly swam in booze. Think of him as an early day Jim Morrison.

I recieved a bottle of Walton Waters for Xmas. I brought it over to a friends who said he hated absinthe. He had tried several brands all of which seemed to be artifical dyed brands from europe. After 20 minutes of "Dude trust me this is the good stuff " he relented. Long story short after his third glass his mind was completely changed. " Man I have to get a bottle of this " was repeated over and over. Another new convert thanks to Delaware Phoenix

Someone help me out here. I seem to keep getting my ass kicked by MoL.

4-1 was ridiculously strong, 4.5-1 was still very harsh. I am assuming I should go to 5-1?

What does everyone else dilute at? Has anyone received the latest batch? This stuff seems mega-strong in the alcohol department.

Ridge is the same proof and I drink at 4.5-1 with beautiful results but the MoL is like I am still drinking firewater. The taste is incredible and I know when I find the right dilution it will be delicious but right now it almost stops me from drinking because I feel like I am drinking booze....maybe I need sugar? I never use it.

Sugar has been known to help. Add water. When you have too much water it may seem "flat".

The whole thing is about your personal appreciation of the drink. Some can't drink absinthe without sugar and some abhor it. Water is another personal choice. There are some I prefer with less water and some absinthes require, to me, to need a bit more to lessen the alcohol and bring out the beauty in the drink.

Each absinthe will be different. Each batch of each brand will have slight differences and age will do things to change the drink as will your surroundings, what you had for dinner and the temperature of the drink.

There is a dilution matrix on the home page of this site. Fingerpickinblue and Brian put it together. I give them both credit for going over and above merely absinthe appreciating folks.

Absinthe, it's an adventure.

:cheers:

Oh I know all about the index, it's taped inside my cabinet door. I didn't convert to ml upto 5.0 so I will need to do that though.

I'll give 5.0 a try tonight, its supposed to be rainy so we are going to pick up more art supplies. :cheers:

Now that you mention it, I think I saw that taped to your cabinet door in a pic you posted. Pretty handy little tool.

I still just play with my ratios as I drink. I'm not so into science as I am in relaxing. But hey, that's just me. ;)

Well, I gotta come clean on that. I enjoy science. I practice it often.

It's uplifting to see a couple that are enjoying their booze and are artists to boot.

It's groovy stuff. Seriously! :thumbup:

It was cute last night, our 9yo daughter came home and jumped in on the action so all three of us were at the kitchen table painting. It was odd to me because I consider it a personal thing, not a public or family activity but it worked...we were all in our own world but together.

Just did some experimentation with half doses.

Looks like I am happy at about 5-1 and Christy was happier at 6-1.

Man MoL is a finicky girl.

Oh and I can't believe I contemplated sugar after tasting it properly diluted.

The label was approved only a few days ago. It's not bottled yet. Don't know about pre-orders; I suppose that would be up to the individual vendors.

Thanks. Someone had to keep them from strangling each other.

I've met Julie and been to her store as well as to her restaurant (courtesy of Sbmac) and I can attest to the fact she's a very nice person and Catskill Cellars is a classy operation.

I must say that I find the WW to seem underated.

Although I find the MoL to be more fragrantly seductive, I agree with you about the WW.

Except, of course, I think it's underrated. :harhar:

I must say that I find the WW to seem underated. It is a fabulous absinthe. I will compare with MoL this weekend.

I must say that I find the WW to seem underated.

Although I find the MoL to be more fragrantly seductive, I agree with you about the WW.

Except, of course, I think it's underrated. :harhar:

I'd sure like to know where youse guys think that is the case. Here are the top 15 absinthes rated on this site, by all reviews averaged, including user and expert reviews.

1 Pacifique Absinthe Verte Superieure 4.588

2 Sauvage 4.586

3 Ridge Verte 4.580

4 La Grenouille 4.560

5 L'Ancienne 4.533

6 Meadow Of Love 4.517

7 Ridge Blanche 4.511

8 Jade PF 1901 4.500

9 Walton Waters 4.493

10 MARTEAU Absinthe de la Belle Époque 4.423

11 Jade Verte Suisse 65° 4.409

12 Sevil 4.400

13 Doubs Mystique 4.391

14 La Maison Fontaine 4.380

15 La Veuve Verte 4.375

The top 9 have from 5 to 21 reviews each, and the differences in scores for all 9 are pretty much splitting hairs. In fact, rounded according to our scoring system, they would range from 4.6 to 4.5. The remaining 6 on the list don't suck either. They would all round to 4.4.