dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

For those who are interested in these sorts of things, my Walton Waters absinthe and forthcoming Rye Dog white whiskey made from rye received Gold Medal awards from the New York International Spirits Competition 2010. (MoL wasn't entered.) Only 13 gold awards were handed out amongst the 270+ entries.

I also received the distinction of being their Distillery of the Year for the consistently high quality of my products, and the craftmanship that goes into them.

This is quite an honor as unlike some other competitions where if you enter, you get an award, NYISC is not like that. Only the most deserving spirits receive awards.

More info at the NYISC web site.

:cheers:

Well I think I know what my next order will be...Got some green back heading your way Cheryl. Hope the green bottles won't be far behind. :cheers: Congrats on making such a wonderful thing, and thank you as well.

I finished my first bottle of Walton Waters last night. Absolutely great experience! I need to buy another bottle of this and Leopold Brothers to see which I like better. Probably going to be hard to choose.

Going to crack my bottle of Meadow of Love. Let's see how it measures up.

Going to crack my bottle of Meadow of Love. Let's see how it measures up.

You're in for a pleasant surprise. May I suggest that you save some of that Meadow of Love for a side-by-side tasting with Walton Waters next time you pick up a bottle? The best way to develop your palate, IMHO, is to compare and contrast. Hard to do when you only have one bottle open at a time!

OMG!!! MoL is awesome!!! Pretty, nice louche, wonderful aroma, intoxicating flavor, great finish.

This should have been the official booze at Woodstock.

And the Watkins Glen festival (which was bigger than Woodstock) that I actually attended in 1974. :wheelchair:

MoL is awesome stuff, indeed!

Having my second glass (well first proper glass) right now of M.o.L. Absolutely stunning. Like a wise man told me, "with so many good absinthes available now in the U.S. Why mess with the Jades?" Not exactly a precise quote, but the idea is right. After tasting M.o.L I can say I no longer desire to spend the additional amount of money on a Jade product. One day perhaps more will be available here than just the N.O.

Well, this second time, the louche was gradual rather than sudden with my first glass. It just came off the truck, so temperatures may have had an influence on the speedy louche I experienced the first time around. However, for me, louche is second to taste. Taste: Wow, many things have already been said about it, but here are my opinions.

1. Nice natural color

2. Nice color after addition of water

3. Aroma is great, but I am still getting over a bout with something and so I can't smell like I can when I am at full operating capacity.

4. mouthfeel is just right. Not too thick, not too thin. I like my absinthe, like others do, with less water than some. I feel that with M.o.L the flavor suits me when I have it around 3:1 (by my estimates)

5. Can definitely pin point the AA and some other things going on. I won't pretend to know what they are, but from tasting the Jade offerings, I would say these equal what I remember liking about them. (been awhile).

Well, I am excited to get some tax returns back and get a bottle of WW to compare. I know I will like it as well. Just which one I will like better? Who knows. Well done Cheryl.

The other day I bought some "violet" mints to get myself acquainted with the taste. So far, I have yet to taste it. To be honest, In any absinthe I have had, I can only identify the following so far:

AA

Fennel

Anise

Hyssop (I think)

Though I have had lots of absinthe, I am just a n00b at being a connoisseur of absinthe.

I had thought Hyssop added a "minty" quality, but after talking with someone today, I might be mistaken.

Any good ways to get better at identifying?

Then again. It tastes great and I like it, so either way, I guess it doesn't truly matter in the end.

The road of identifying all the herbs can lead to some messy thoughts. When something is distilled it can change flavor quite a bit. Wormwood itself is a great example of this. Raw it is very bitter, distilled it is floral (and oh so tasty). As many herbs can have a minty quality the lineup of what might cause that flavor is pretty extensive.

There are absinthes I could've sworn had cacao or vanilla and one that had subtle flavors of both (Mansinthe actually). I'm fairly certain those weren't in the herb bill of any absinthe but caused by other parts of the distilling, aging, and production process.

Point is that ingredient identification is good, but taste is better. L'Italienne and lemongrass anyone?

I can identify the violet aroma, onacuz we had some in the house growing up.

Evan, I think my grapefruits in Perroquet is still one of the most out there ones. But unlike real grapefruit, sugar made it a lot better.

Though new to absinthe, I have quickly expanded my collection of bottles to seven different ones.

I ordered a bottle of WW and MoL before Christmas and got it two days before New Years. I will keep bottles of both in stock from now on, as long as I can get them!

Edited by Maredudd

Cheryl,

Just had some WW. Great stuff. I do get a lot more of the Aa up front than with the MoL. I like them both and also like that I can have one or the other depending on the mood of my taste that evening. Well done. For sure I'll have to keep these two and the Ridge in stock like Maredudd.