dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

I have two more bottles of MOL on the way from Catskill cellars! Add those to the two empties and that will make four bottles in about 9 months :twitchsmile:! MOL is definitely the favorite in my house.

I'm a total n00b in the absinthe world. I gave in to instant gratification recently and picked up a bottle of Lucid, after seeing reviews here that it wasn't horrible for what it was. I had basically the whole bottle myself in a few weeks, and I definitely liked the last glass better than the first. I decided when I bought it that if I didn't hate it by the time I finished the bottle, I'd order some good stuff.

My Walton Waters from Astor Wines arrived today (bottle 1 from batch 10-12). Wow. Admittedly, I have only the Lucid to compare it to, but it's amazing how much better the WW is. Whereas the Lucid had a distinct high-alcohol bite to it and a very strong anise flavor, the WW is much smoother and has a deeper flavor. I'd say the anise is actually milder, but it's a more complex flavor. The Lucid just seems to be lots of alcohol with a black licorice flavor, while the WW is an anise-based drink that happens to have a high ABV.

As I'm sure the connoisseurs here understand, I'd still like to try others (possibly starting with MoL), but the slight difference in price between these two is a no-brainer - shipping cost is the only thing that even slowed me down. The WW was worth every penny over the Lucid. Now I just have to see if I can get the local specialty shop to carry it. =)

Keep up the good work, Cheryl!

First InvisiBill please introduce yourself, and now that you have tried Walton Waters, you will really like MoL, for further choices use the reviews page, you can find other mail order vendors as well, it will save you money when you shop around :cheers:

Good news for DP found here!

For those of you who don't care for links, here's a relevant paragraph:

"The 2010 Absinthe Devil survey-conducted from late March to early May 2010-polled 174 American consumers via an online self-completion questionnaire. The survey queried Absinthe Devil customers about their favorite absinthe brands and found that the most popular absinthes aren't necessarily those in broadest distribution. Lucid, Kübler, Le Tourment Vert, Pernod and St. George are in widest distribution across the United States. However, the top three absinthes among survey respondents were Meadow of Love, an American absinthe produced by Delaware Phoenix; Nouvelle Orleans, a French absinthe produced by Jade Liqueurs; and La Clandestine, a Swiss blanche absinthe produced by Artemisia Distillerie. They can be purchased at www.CatskillCellars.com. "

Walton Waters is still my fave, but Meadow Of Love is not far behind, so I'm very happy to hear this news, Cheryl.

Hmm...What's that next to the fancy antique swirl glass from Marc? Why it's a hand-made bag a la

Cheryl Lins that found its way here thru Catskills Cellars. Keep your MOL and WW green and well-dressed when it isn't stashed in that dark cellar!

MOLbag.jpg

That's a nice score, Scott. Did you purchase the bag, or was it free swag with your order? I wouldn't mind getting one of those myself, as it seems to fit that bottle shape well.

That's a beautiful glass! I love the torsade style, but the etched band makes it even nicer. A glass that nice deserves the caliber of booze you got with it.

Hey guys, yeah I bought that glass from Marc, it is sweet. The maker's name was stamped in tiny letters while still molten in one of the etch bands.

These bags are made by a friend of Cheryl. They aren't for sale yet that I know of, but she's the one to ask. Perhaps they're making more, and Julie at Catskill Cellars might be able to sell them, I just don't know the details. They are nice, and will keep the liquid a nice green, tho the flavor never seems to suffer from the changes.

Best, Scott

I remember my Sam Adams Millennium came in both a bag and a box.

Uh oh...I just realized how much like a pregnancy prevention tutorial that sounded. :paperbag3:

I don't get it. You put your absinthe bottle in a bag, but how is it supposed to drip into your glass? Do you put ice in the bag with the bottle as well?

I don't get it. You put your absinthe bottle in a bag, but how is it supposed to drip into your glass? Do you put ice in the bag with the bottle as well?

Nooo Baubel! You put the ice in the bag, then the bag on your head after having too much to drink. Keeping the bottle in the bag just saves space and makes it easier to find. :rolleyes:

For those who haven't had DP's fine offerings, the clear bottle is not UV coated, so the really lovely green color fades quickly, even in indirect light. The bags stop this, and look nice at the same time. It also stops one's incredibly religious cleaning lady from passing judgement when dusting around several bottles of absinthe.

The bags were made by my friend Annie here in Walton, on her 1946 Singer sewing machine. The drawstrings are hand braided by her too. The bags were designed to fit the bottles.

Their original purpose was to protect the bottles while they were at the store. Some stores have a lot of indirect sunlight and the color was fading more than I'd like. And customers worried that there was a problem. So this helps alleviate that problem.

The cost to make then is $5 which includes materials and some cash for Annie. So if someone really wants a bag they should mail me $5 and their address, and whether you want red (for MoL) or green (for WW). Checks, cash, money orders, bearer bonds all accepted.

I remember my Sam Adams Millennium came in both a bag and a box.

Uh oh...I just realized how much like a pregnancy prevention tutorial that sounded. :paperbag3:

:laugh:

Cool bottle bags...And although I'm a bit late in having tried some of Cheryl's fine product, I have to now say...it's fantastic! :clap:

The Delaware Phoenix bag seemed so well suited to Scott's taste I couldn't resist sending my sample in appreciation for his expert handling and organizing of the October Event. They are indeed very lovely and original, I've worked quite a bit with cording and have never seen such finely made silken cord anywhere…Kudos to Annie! :cheers:

Wanted to make my first post a good one. I'll do a new person thread next. I get to the Downsville area once a year to visit with family. Last year I stopped in at the Cellar and noticed the WW. This year I scraped the bottom of the pockets to get some. My past experience with Absinthe was in the mid 90's on a trip to Canada. I got a bottle/kit from the duty free shop. And proceeded to burn sugar and use shot glasses. I know, somehow I escaped the stake. But a few wiser years later, I get to try again. Have to say I have horrible fine tuned taste buds. So the subtle stuff always gets lost. I was told that I wouldn't need to add sugar, but I know my alcohol tastes(usually sweet bourbons). I was glad to help out a local company(well both of them). Well here's my first go. Might cut down on the water a little next time. Thanks for a great product. Maybe next year I can find a tasting...doesn't seem to be anything going on in Rochester(kinda surprised about that).

4935922755_5b26d1f388.jpg