dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

Quarter Master,

My wife and have been thinking the same thing, although the only domestics we've had are Pacifique and the DPs, we have been astounded by the quality of the domestics and plan on using them as "go too" absinthe's and keeping the Jades around for their historical representations, but not worried if we run out. We are hoping that Gwydion's product gets back on line soon and Joe enjoys great success with his new line. So if you are enjoying your domestics, stay with them. :cheers:

Now, tell me seriously, is there any reason outside of establishing my Absinthe dilettante creds to bother ordering anything from Europe?

I haven't tried every European absinthe out there, but in my opinion, the Jades and Belle Amie hold there own against Leopold's and DP's products.

I have to agree, that with all the wonderful American offerings, you're pretty much set for vertes,

However there are great great absinthes coming out of Europe. The Jade line is amazing, and the absinthe coming out of Matter-Luginbühl is great as well. They have a different character than the American offerings that needs to be explored. Don't forget Eich!

I will say this, that if I had to live on American absinthe, as long as Marc keeps making Pacifique,

Cheryl keeps producing WW and MOL and Todd keeps making Leopold, I'd miss my European absinthe, but I'd still be a happy camper. Hit the brakes, I forgot those 2 bottles of Marteau are on the way! Must add Gwydion to this list...YOU NEED TO TRY MARTEAU!

Ahoy Touch-Money & Rob!

Thank you for the kind words.

Aye! When the green faery brings inspiration, one must act!

I can't say exactly how long actual process took as I didn't make note of that (I was feeling very inspired by that take!)

I will confess that there are things happening outside the frame to encourage the ice to melt ;) (The first take taught me that I should have turned the heat up before beginning this project!) Also, this billet was ice and water, i.e.: it had not frozen solid through and through.

I shot this with the time-lapse movie function of my Canon Powershot G9, nothing fancy. I had a fluorescent floor lamp turned towards the glass for lighting.

I'm looking forward to doing another take outdoors, in warmer weather. Might be nice with time-lapse clouds as a background.

Allright, thanks too to everybody for the opinions and information. Looks like I am going to have to get some Jades, and a few others ;)

Really want to try the Marteau! Alas - patience...

Back on track with DP here....I wanted to mention the great customder service I've received from Julie at Catskill Cellars. I only buy my MOL and WW form her. Her prices are better than Astor, and she has the best personal customer service...her cell phone is on the website. She has notified me and set aside in advance for me. The guys at Astor treated me like I didn't matter, and that they didn't have time for me when I called them with a couple questions. I've spent about $300 on DP...their loss, Julie's gain!

I'm getting a bottle with every batch to build up a stash, and Julie is happy to oblige by letting me know when its coming in.

My WW and MoL came in while I was on my lunch break, so I haven't gotten to try them yet. I did however get to open the box and take a look, and I am a little disappointed. They aren't green at all. They are amber. I know (from reading this forum) that it doesn't really affect the taste, but I was looking forward to seeing that nice deep green color that I see in all of the pictures and that everyone talks about.

Awful, where did you get that shipment from and what batch# ? My last shipment of WW from Astor Wines batch # 10-8 was a little off color but the taste was awsome !

My WW and MoL came in while I was on my lunch break, so I haven't gotten to try them yet. I did however get to open the box and take a look, and I am a little disappointed. They aren't green at all. They are amber. I know (from reading this forum) that it doesn't really affect the taste, but I was looking forward to seeing that nice deep green color that I see in all of the pictures and that everyone talks about.

Where did you buy it from? It will turn amber if left in the light, within a week or two. All the bottles I've purchased from Catskills Cellars were vibrant green

I got them from Catskill. Could heat have caused it? Its in the 90s here, and who knows what that makes the temperature in the back of a UPS truck. I also got a bottle of Pacifique from DUNY today, but I haven't opened it yet.

The WW is batch 10-6 and the MoL is batch 10-7.

Heres a pic:

DPs-1.jpg

I've had no problems with Astor, but I order online not via telephone. Didn't think of comparing prices, I'll take a look at Catskills.

Here's a pic of my recent arrivals. Don't worry! They were only outside for this quick shot!

The MOL is 10-7 and the WW 10-8.

IMG_0586-1.jpg

I thought they were pretty green, but maybe there is greener?

Addendum: I just viewed the pictures on the DP and Catskills Cellars site. Yeah, that's pretty green! Mine weren't that green either.

2nd addendum: Duh! The video shows the color of mine too!

3rd addendum: And this post shows the WW at 4:1 http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=211381

On the color issue: the absinthes are green when delivered to retailers. It's just a fact that most liquor stores do not have lighting control, and many have big windows which provide a bright cheery ambiance to their store. This is not the best for the preservation of the color.

Be assured, the color changes do not effect the taste.

Be assured, the color changes do not effect the taste.

10-4 on that! The MoL... I don't know what to say. Its the Pop-Rocks candy of absinthe. I almost feel bad for complaining about the color.

dakini,

just curious if you have thought of using a darker bottle for your products? Do the bottles cost that much more? I know color isn't as big an issues to some people as it is to others, but some might like that nice shade of green that your absinthes have. Not trying to nit pick at all, just curious.

Seems to me, when an absinthe undergoes appreciable changes in color, it's something that can certainly be sensed... not just by sight.

You've mentioned as much before as well. Do you think the changes you detect have to do with the chlorophyll breakdown? And if so, do you think those changes stop once it's all broken down? Or do you suspect there are more things changing besides the chlorophyll?

Colored spirits bottles in the quantities I use are simply not available. Wine bottles are another story, but that would necessitate a complete package redesign as the closure is custom for that bottle, and ditto for the label. That's simply not possible right now.

Maybe I'll have to hire a grandmother to make some nice green velvet drawstring covers a la Blanton's.

Ron, if you come by young absinthe, fresh out of the still... then watch as it's colored... then watch it grow, it's like a child. An absinthe assumes her own attitude as she ages, and before she matures she's sure to piss you off. Young absinthe's character is fleeting, and color is just one aspect that goes delicately with age... but it goes.

You know when a fruit is over-ripe, by sight or taste... I doubt you've ever needed a description of the catabolism of an apple to understand it.

Since this thread is about Delaware Pkoenix I have to say that I fianally got hold of a couple of bottles of MoL and opened one tonight and all my wife and I have to say is WOW ! Definately noticed the difference between the WW and MoL, the more floral notes and the more "dryness ?" very clean but still like the creaminess on the palet of the WW. So Cheryl, keep up the great work and we here on Hall Meadow Rd. are in love with Meadow of Love :cheers: :worshippy:

Ron, if you come by young absinthe, fresh out of the still... then watch as it's colored... then watch it grow, it's like a child.

Duly noted.

I doubt you've ever needed a description of the catabolism of an apple to understand it.

Ah, but we strive to understand what's happening, don't we?