dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

I just read the Times article today. I thought the idea of a micro-distillery dedicated solely to absinthe production was an interesting approach. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that most absinthe, at least domestically, is produced at larger distilleries producing a wide variety of spirits ie Vieux Carré being made at Philadelphia Distilleries, which produces gins, vodkas and a host of other liquors. It's nice that Delaware Phoenix is more focused on one end product.

I'm on the TV. I can't believe it. If this is a dream, it's a good one.

Loved the story! I know they couldn't do it, but it would have been sweet if they had actually named the two labels that you send out the door. Congrats, young lady!

Your distillery is just so cosy. I really miss messing around there with you; fond memories of distilling protos and having ice cream breaks

That must have been fun! The ice cream too.

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that most absinthe, at least domestically, is produced at larger distilleries producing a wide variety of spirits ie Vieux Carré being made at Philadelphia Distilleries, which produces gins, vodkas and a host of other liquors.

Though they operate on a larger scale than Cheryl, I can testify--having visited just last week--that Philadelphia Distilling is by no means a big distillery. They are a micro-distillery that has just enough capacity (and capital) to produce the three spirits that they make. And they are one of the larger absinthe-producing operations in the US, AFAIK (up there with Pacific and Leopold Bros.).

There are a number of folks who work on a much smaller scale. Some of the producers here make their absinthe at host distilleries that they do not own or manage.

How about toddling over to the Introduction thread and telling us a little about yourself, Janusz?

How about toddling over to the Introduction thread and telling us a little about yourself, Janusz?

Somehow I had missed the Intro thread entirely...I'll correct that oversight now.

Just back from NYC. For those who might be interested...

Gary and Paul over at Bowery Poetry Club and some patrons were all very interested in the absinthe today and seemed to enjoy it. Keep fingers crossed for possible future event...

Astor got their big order today. Maybe someone else bought it all, but if you're interested you could give them a call. Doesn't seem to be up on the website yet.

Oh, tasting at Astor, April 3rd, 3-5 pm. I'll be fixing up some absinthes, some frappés, maybe a Sazerac or three, or that kind of cocktail thing for those not interested in simply adding water to absinthe (the best way, imho). Let me know if you want to be reminded as the date gets closer.

It's a good job as those things go. Still like being the boss. I know if I ever have employees, I'll have to hire someone to manage them right away as I'd drive them insane (they'd quit first, I'm sure).

But it was 7 hours driving (there and back), plus driving for basically three hours around the city (Brooklyn and Manhattan) with 5 minute stops (usually illegally parked as there is no other kind typically) to dash in with a box of absinthe, hopefully without getting an expensive parking ticket. Driving in New York City. :twitchsmile:

Probably would make more money with whiskey though. I feel a bit like the first people making PCs out of their garage. A PC? That will never sell. Get a job fixing mainframes, they'll be around forever.

And if I could sell across state lines (without a distributor) that would be a plus. Get quite a good number of calls from CT and NJ stores. But I'm not wealthy enough to take on the three tier system, even though they are interfering with my ability to conduct interstate commerce. :devil:

But overall very exciting in many ways and we'll see where it goes. :cheers:

Hi Cheryl, I can't wait to try MOL....I got an e-mail in from Astor that they have it, but I ordered it from Julie 2 weeks ago, and am waiting it out. Too bad you can't get a few to all your dealers at the same time,

but I DO understand the challenges you face dong this alone!

All the best -Scott

Hi Cheryl, I can't wait to try MOL....I got an e-mail in from Astor that they have it, but I ordered it from Julie 2 weeks ago, and am waiting it out. Too bad you can't get a few to all your dealers at the same time,

All the best -Scott

I also have ordered from Julie at Catskill Cellars...as I always do...I like giving business to our small business WS members, besides...I really like Catskill's customer service and shipping..

Hey Cheryl.

I'm headed up to Saugerties to pick up the bottle of MoL that the good folks at Partition are holding for me. I live in Jersey just a short hop over the river to NYC. I know you have the personal touch, but if you ever found that you needed someone to transport your product to this neck of the woods, I'd love to help you out.

All the best -Scott

I also have ordered from Julie at Catskill Cellars...as I always do...I like giving business to our small business WS members, besides...I really like Catskill's customer service and shipping..

PS..Cheryl, you have two excellent products..MOL and WW...your hands on quite simply makes for a unique product..congratulations....

Thanks much everyone. Yes it's difficult with such a small still to produce enough for all the vendors simultaneously. The wait would be much longer for everyone, so I haven't opted for that route.

I know Julie and Eric at Catskill Cellars really appreciate your support and patience. I know in under a couple weeks they'll be getting more product, so hopefully they'll be able to fill all the outstanding orders (but I don't know how their order list matches my deliveries). And I'm still making more every day. Little by little!

Screwtape, our post-Prohibition liquor laws don't allow me to sell to stores in other states without going through a distributor. And that would cause you to have to pay a lot more or I would have a harder time breaking even or growing the business. But thanks for the offer.

cheers to all!

Well... I finally opened one of my two bottles, Walton Waters. I've had these two bottles for a very long time, or so it seems. The bottle is Batch 09-3 Bottle 30.

I'm posting my review here as I have it, and at some point I'll formalize it and put it up in the review section:

This bottle is, I believe, from a very early batch. It was prepared in an East glass, with no sugar, and icy cold slow drip.

Initial Aroma: The smell coming from the newly uncorked bottle was everything I've come to expect in a quality absinthe. It seems one can, with experience, sense the quality of an absinthe, at least vaguely, by the very first sniff. In the glass there is no trace of alcohol, only the subtle sweet hint of fennel I've come to anticipate and crave. Very light and attractive.

Color, pre-louche: Being an older bottle, the color is somewhat less vibrant than when I first put it in storage, but it is still a perfectly clear, wonderfully hued olive oil.

Louche: The louche begins beautifully as a smokey cloud gently filling the bottom of the glass before rising evenly up to the band. Up until the band vanishes, very defined trails stand out, seeming to lift the band higher and higher. I've never seen a louche with such beautifully defined trails, let alone for so long during the transformation. The aroma barely changes from pre-louche, only growing in intensity and becoming more icy and complex. It smells incredibly balanced. This is a wonderfully thick louche, just how I prefer my absinthe, and the color is a gorgeous shade of velvety jade.

Flavor: At first sip this absinthe is nowhere near as sweet as I, for whatever reason, envisioned it. The first flavor to express itself is wormwood, and only after that does the complex mixture of traditional and unique ingredients begin to show their magic. I am instantly reminded of the highest quality traditional style absinthe I've had, and this one imminently sets itself up as contender to any. I find it difficult to point out specific flavors because it is so fantastically blended; nothing overpowers anything else, and yet they all come together perfectly.

Overall Judgment: With each absinthe I taste I find myself either crowning a new favorite or not being completely satisfied, but without any overreaction I can say this is by far the most delicious absinthe I've tasted. It is perfectly balanced and carries that wonderfully mysterious character that, to me, defines absinthe. I can't help but wonder if any absinthe served during the Belle Epoque tasted this good. There is nothing about this absinthe that seems "too much" or "out of place". I legitimately feel like I've tasted absinthe for the first time!

I feel like a monstrous idiot for not opening even one of these bottles sooner, but at the same time, I'm glad I waited. It has given me time to try many other offerings--I think the count is over 15 now--and really develop an absinthe palate. I'm fairly certain I've never tasted a Verte so fantastic (I had to leave room for the Essai 4).

Absolute success!!!

'Tis great, indeed. I believe I've had some of a very near batch, although I am not sure of the number. Butter-creme in a glass. Absolutely the most mellow, balanced absinthe I've tasted.

WoW. Nice review! OK, I'm sold, dammit. I have no excuse for not trying this yet. I've been meaning to since it first became available through DUNY, but didn't, then it was gone. Catskill will be hearing from me soon. And PT447, I can so relate to waiting for the "right time" to open a new bottle!

Oh, tasting at Astor, April 3rd, 3-5 pm... Let me know if you want to be reminded as the date gets closer.

Would that be Astor Wines on Lafayette Street?

'Tis great, indeed. I believe I've had some of a very near batch, although I am not sure of the number. Butter-creme in a glass. Absolutely the most mellow, balanced absinthe I've tasted.

That's it, it's mellow. In a fantastic way. Nothing jumps out over anything else, creating a perfectly blended flavor.

Oh, tasting at Astor, April 3rd, 3-5 pm... Let me know if you want to be reminded as the date gets closer.

Would that be Astor Wines on Lafayette Street?

I searched their site and couldn't find mention, but it might not be posted yet.

I bought a bottle of each of these from Astor at the beginning of Feb. Walton Waters batch 10-2 bottle 1, and Meadow of Love batch 10-1 bottle 13. These are my two favorite Absinthes I've tried thus far. You can taste the quality, great job on these they are works of art.

The biggest problem with either WW or MoL is that once you have them, you'll be reluctant to buy anything else... There goes my "I've had this many different" bragging rights.

:twitchsmile: