dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

The problem is the shipping of any distilled beverages (or, in some cases, even wine or beer) to killjoy states that forbid such interstate commerce.

Absinthe is legal in all 50 states, so I don't see what the problem is.

Each state has their own liquor control laws. A company like DUNY needs to obtain separate permission from each state and jump through each's hoops to be able to ship. At least, that's my understanding of it.

Everytime I've made any kind of inquiry about absinthe...or Chartreuse V.E.P., at the store I prefer to shop at, every employee, including the owners, revert to a monotone, robotic voice and recite a memorized speech about how "NM is a franchise state and needs some politico(s) to approve which brands of which kind of booze get to get sold here." Occasionally they'll throw in a pinch of snuttiness just for giggles.

:poop:

Damn robots.

:poop: :poop:

Yeah, I looked it up...Apparently Alabama and Mississippi run an Alcohol Monopoly.

Specifically how it works in MS: Merchant must sell alcohol to the state of MS. The state of MS will then sell the alcohol to an liquor store owner. The liquor store owner then sells to you... In other words, MS charges 27% more for liquor to pass through their hands... And all liquor bought by MS is warehoused in Southern Madison before shipping out to the rest of the state.

Oh, guess what...Absinthe was illegal in MS for 100 years...because MS banned alcohol 5 years before absinthe was banned in the us...But later on, MS began allowing counties to decide if alcohol was legal or not. In my county in MS, alcohol is illegal, except Beer and Light Wine aren't considered alcohol.

Alabama's the same way. We have state ABC stores at which you can get most booze at close to average retail price, but package stores pay the ABC the same amount per bottle that the public does and has to then put huge markups on what they sell in order to turn a profit. It's not so much an alcohol monopoly as it is a booze bottleneck.

The package stores can stay in business only because the ABC stores close at 6 or 7pm, depending on the store, and have a more limited selection.

MS puts a 27% tax before selling to liquor stores, then the liquor stores have to tax you another 7%.. :S so a total of 34%...although, MS prices are about the same as LA, AL, and TN...or so they say...

At any rate, they'd make more money if they didn't do the bottleneck thing...besides, I can get cheap moonshine from my local police...yes, right across from the Tax office...is... moonshine being sold at the police station? o.O :twitchsmile: Where my brains?.

I'm assuming around 25 bottles per batch?

Batch size is variable. 25 bottles would be the very low end. Currently running about 50-60 bottles per batch.

They don't deliver to a lot of places.

"Due to restrictive regulations, we cannot accept orders for shipment to the following locations:

Alabama, Alaska, Delaware, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia"

The FedEx wine shipping chart for NY to other states.

https://www.fedex.com/cgi-bin/wineShipping.cgi?State=NY

The UPS list seems to be the same, but UPS says they'll only ship wine.

http://www.ups.com/media/en/wine_addendum.pdf

"onsite" consumers went to the winery and purchased, and the winery shipped them their bottles. "offsite" consumers called on the phone/internet/etc.

A lot of these states have restrictions on how much you can buy and have shipped to you, and over certain amounts are supposed to be reported to the state (presumably to make sure you're not operating a business by selling that wine). But I doubt anyone is bothering to comply.

The alcohol laws in the various states are all very broken.

A company like DUNY needs to obtain separate permission from each state and jump through each's hoops to be able to ship.

Nope. See above. The various states have never specified rules regarding shipments from retailers. All the above rules are supposed to apply to wineries.

Edited by dakini_painter

MS puts a 27% tax before selling to liquor stores, then the liquor stores have to tax you another 7%.. :S so a total of 34%...although, MS prices are about the same as LA, AL, and TN...or so they say

I reckon that if all that is added it would compare to overseas shipping charges. Why folks worry about overses shipping is ..........

Peace!

OK, just posted my reviews. I really can't say which I prefer because, on some level, they're the same to me. However, Meadow of Love (MoL) seems to have a smoother finish with a more relaxed finish, and Walton Waters (WW) is more crisp and zesty. So it all depends on the mood I'm in.

Hm, tough grader Tayker.

btw, I don't recommend sugar with my absinthes. Maybe that's what the tasting notes say, but I wouldn't do that. It flattens out the flavors, and obliterates a lot of the subtlety and depth.

I've had people say to me "Oh we tried it with sugar and we really liked it". But every time I do that, the sugar (even 1/2 cube) masks the flavors and makes it too sweet. I may want to suggest using not as cold water. I know that's outright heresy, but I often louche up my absinthe using a brouilleur with just cold tap water, without any ice at all.

I hope you explore a little bit with my absinthes rather than just put them in the back of your cabinet. I personally hope you'll be rewarded.

:cheers:

Hm, tough grader Tayker.

Indeed.

It helps to pick out the nuances if you delay the crack smoking until after you've sampled the absinthe. :harhar:

Just kidding, buddy. :cheers:

DP, I really enjoyed them and had a couple glasses today, and liked them just fine with the sugar. I've also been trying to adhere more to the examples set in the WWS eval instructions. However, I will definitely have a couple glasses tomorrow without it. :) It's hard for me to pick which I prefer because I like the MoL when I'm mellow and relaxed, but the WW is great for those refreshing moments.

The only low mark, as shown in this pic, was the color - the glass was filled more than it looks and I didn't add a drop of water. I took pics and videos of the 3 reviews I did, which I'll be uploading later. I only posted that one just to show what I saw.

Think I'm tough? Wait till you see my VdF review. :)

OK, here's my flickr set of pics and videos of the absinthes. :)

Edit:

That's weird, I could've sworn that link was in there because I usually test them in preview before I post. Anyway, it's in there now. :)

Huh.

My MoL has a definite amber hue, but my WW is an absolutely beautiful shade of green. A bit darker than true peridot, but stunning nonetheless. And it maintains a traditional milky greenish color post-louche. It looks nothing like the glass of WW you're louching in the Flickr video. That's much more what my MoL looks like, though perhaps not quite as dark. Your bottles haven't been unduly exposed to heat or light, have they?

I have to concur with Absomphe. My MoL was (and still is) verdant. Pardon the size, but it's worth seeing this miracle elixir in its full glory.

3658637494_cf417d4e9c_o.jpg

Edit: Finally added my review.

Any updates on DP availability at DUNY? (I've inquired, but methinks DUNY is giving me the silent treatment :3869-sadbanana:).

I've been told recently that consumers aren't entitled to any explanation at all.

That aside, there's always a reason. When things are resolved, the product will flow.

My DP absinthes were bright emerald green upon arrival a couple months ago, and are fading to a nice dead leafish peridot at this point, despite being stashed in the dark the whole time. My first bottle of MoL, which I am trying not to polish off in one glorious fell swoop, was left on top of my cabinet in the kitchen, which gets full Eastern sun,after one of those Green Hours that ends up being 11 hours. I realized after 3 or 4 days that I better get that stuff outa the sun, but too late, it's deader lookin' than the one in storage. Still tastes great,but I'd rather the color be an indicator of blissful rest than hazy-brained poor storage!

Any updates on DP availability at DUNY? (I've inquired, but methinks DUNY is giving me the silent treatment :3869-sadbanana:).

It's up to DUNY to decide whether to say anything or not. It's a sad state of affairs, but that's the way it is.

DP products are still available through Catskill Cellars and Astor Wine and Spirits. And product is available. It's available at both of these sources.

I've been told recently that consumers aren't entitled to any explanation at all.

I hope it wasn't something I said. But I don't feel it's appropriate for me to comment on DUNY's actions or attempt to explain them. It's just not my place to do so.

I'm moving on and continuing to develop my business. I get re-orders from existing customers, new orders, and inquiries from new, potential future customers.

I appreciate all the support from everyone and your valuable comments and reviews.

:cheers:

btw, the color is sans garantie

Edited by dakini_painter

Haha. No, I wasn't talking of you Cheryl. No worries.

As to the topic of color, we were actually talking a little bit about that the other night at workman's place. He asked what our feelings were on scoring for color, and in the process of that conversation, I used MoL as an example of a fine coloring. I also said though, that I thought it was a bit too dead leaf for being a recent bottle. It's still green, to be sure, but had some of that chlorophyll breakdown that will eventually go brown. That's not a strike against Cheryl's technique or anything, as there are so many variables in temps and light and handling throughout the process. I wonder if a UV treatment for the bottles could help that? Clear glass is nice to showcase the absinthe, but it allows too much chance for error, methinks. It should look brilliant in my drinking glass, and stay nice, dark, and hidden in it's own bottle.

DP products are still available through Catskill Cellars and Astor Wine and Spirits.

Curious if anyone knows about any shipping restrictions from Catskill Cellars? Astor Wines won't ship to Oklahoma, which is why I've never used them. I can email them sure, but just wanted to know if anyone has had success with Catskills where they didn't with Astor?

At some point I'll switch to a dark bottle, but I wasn't able to do that in my last order as it would have required a label change and closure change (so more expense than I can afford).

PM sent on the ship to OK.

Last night while making dinner, I made myself a glass of WW again. Absolutely incredible, but of course I know that. Anyways, my wife decided to try some, and she enjoyed it so much I had to make her another glass. I also tried both WW and MOL without sugar for the first time, and I do agree that the sugar seems to mask some of the flavors in both, while dulling the edge on the MOL quite a bit, which isn't a bad thing if you dont want that sharper wormwood (in my wife's case).

All this to say I'm going to need more DP Absinthes. I contacted Catskill Cellars, this is the response:

The cost per bottle is $71.99 for phone/internet orders we have a nominal S+H charge of $10.00 per order (cartons hold up to 3 bottles) and yes we can ship to Texas (via FedEx).
My direct number is 914-629-7464 if you wish to order

Curious if anyone knows about any shipping restrictions from Catskill Cellars?

So if they can ship to Texas they can probably ship to Oklahoma.

I'll be a fan of DP Absinthes as long as I'm drinking Absinthe. I love craft distilling and the beauty small batch spirits. Since Catskill Cellars is in Downsville, NY and is so close to Walton (about 10 miles down the road) I'm sure its easier for them to get shipments of DP, and it seems like a really nice, small town store. I'm going to order 3 more bottles, today from them. Sadly the cartons hold 3 bottles not 4, I don't want to ship two boxes. So I'll probably get 2 WW and 1 MOL since my wife seems to be becoming a fast fan of WW.

At some point I'll switch to a dark bottle,

This I am excited about! That was the only thing I would have changed, is a UV resistant glass bottle to help preserve the magnificent color. I can't wait to get some DP Absinthe in a dark bottle. Of course this will not stop me from ordering more DP absinthe today.

Edited by walkingawire

btw, the color is sans garantie

But from the consensus here, I'd say the guaranty on flavor is etched in granite! :cheerz:

Thank you

Thank you

He will be here all week folks....

....oh, and try the fish.........

(canned applause)

cut to commercial........

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. To my taste buds, DP stuff is the best tasting non-Jade CO absinthe I've ever had the pleasure to drink. It looks good (even though mine resembles scotch now, too much light), and the fact that it's essentially HG in a bottle just makes me smile all the more.

That said, it looks like I'll have the same problems (and resolution?) that the rest of you are having due to the non-DUNY vendors.