dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

Indeed, they are both just as I scrumptious as I hoped! We're talkin' very high levels of scrumptuousity.

Absofrigginlutely!!! :yahoo:

I did a side-by-side comparison of the Phoenix sisters on Friday. I kept coming back to the Meadow of Love; it's definitely my favorite. Some of that may be due to birth date-- the WW was a bit closed in the nose and probably very new. I'm going to taste them together again with a friend this weekend and do a better reviewlet.

I'm having some Meadow of Love that came from the first official batch, as I type this. It has already aged very well. A lot of the initial sharpness from the coloring herbs has faded and this bottle tastes much more balanced now. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep this open bottle around much longer to tell if it'll continue to age so gracefully.

I'm having some Meadow of Love that came from the first official batch

Thanks for refreshing my memory on something that pissed me off a while back. If this isn't a kick in the wad, I don't know what is.

I was just happy not to have missed out on the first batch. DUNY canceled my order, told me they didn't know why they canceled my order, then said they'd accept a new order, but that I had to go to the back of the line and they were all sold out of the first batch. Luckily I had a second, smaller order in for the first batch as well that hadn't gotten canceled. It sure was a kick in the wad to have missed out on the larger order from the first batch though.

And yet, I miss that youthful ebullience.

That's probably why my latest two bottles won't get the chance to age too gracefully.

Just in case anyone is interested, I dropped off the latest batch of Walton Waters at DUNY yesterday. This batch, 09-15, uses what was left of the 2008 crop of New York (Hancock and Walton) wormwoods.

And next week, Hotel Delmano will have both available for consumption by the hipsters of Williamsburg (or anyone else).

:cheers:

Wow, great write up. And fantastic picture. Seems like this is a sign I should open one of those bottles in the near future. Way to go!

Not sure if that's a picture of my absinthe. Looks like pre-ban to me. But who knows.

btw, as of tomorrow (sometime) Ward III and Zinc Bar in Manhattan and Huckleberry Bar in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) will have DP absinthes for your enjoyment. Hotel Delmano blew through their original order and is reloading. I know Brooks will have an apoplectic fit, but hipsters are my clientele. :cheers:

Glad to hear of the expanding presence in the city, DP. I hope to head to one of those places soonish. Whether Brooks will join me is another story! :laugh:

Can anyone tell me why the Delaware Phoenix brands disappeared from DUNY? I've been enjoying my Walton Waters and should be getting Meadow of Love from them next week, but where to turn when they're empty? :huh:

I haven't been to the DUNY site in a couple days. Perhaps an email to them may help. Or, contact the distillery at their site. Cheers!

Can anyone tell me why the Delaware Phoenix brands disappeared from DUNY?

You'll have to inquire with DUNY.

but where to turn when they're empty?

You may contact Astor Wine and Spirits, or Catskill Cellars. The latter is a local retailer. They don't have a fancy web site for sales, but they'd love to hear from you. Give them a call or email, and they'll work up a quote.