dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

I'd suggest opening both, and having a glass or two from each bottle (not necessarily in one night!). That'll allow a little more air into the bottles. I'm partial to what happens with MoL by three months, but maybe everyone else won't, I don't know. But it seems real drinkable even now.

I'll have to let you decide. Both are like beaujolais, fresh and new. So both will benefit from more rest. But only you can decide what you want to drink. Sounds like you have some good choices no matter what you choose.

:cheers:

So, I guess I'm not totally keen on this aging and storing thing. Is it best to open a new bottle, have a glass or so, and then let it sit around? I always thought it was best to just leave it...

Personally, I think either way is a good way.

1. Take a drink and store it for a while.

2. Store it. (I've had some remarkable 100 year old Pernod treated this way)

Option three?

3. Open it. Drink it. Repeat as necessary.

So is there no real "best way"? I mean, aren't all these pre-bans that are found totally unopened? How long is the life once it is opened and some air is let in?

So is there no real "best way"? I mean, aren't all these pre-bans that are found totally unopened? How long is the life once it is opened and some air is let in?

It won't go "bad" by having some extra oxygen in the bottle I don't think. But Brian and Boggy have both said that once a bottle gets below halfway it may be better to transfer to a smaller bottle. Admittedly, I've never done that.

The one or two dose removal before aging may be emulating those pre-Bans. The seals weren't perfect and over the course of 100 years they did lose some contents to evaporation.

Wayek, I'd love to open a store on the US side of the bridge. It'd have a big sign "Absinthe Shoppe" and I and all my Canadian customers could thumb their noses at the OLCB as they buy their American absinthe. :cheers:

Another option for storing would be to keep accumulating bottles and drink from them in some sort of rotation. Buy two, or more of each, drink from one then move to a different bottle/brand until you run the course. There are loads of good absinthe out there and you could build quite a stash. You may be broke but not thirsty.

Storage is a personal thing just like sugar or water ratio. There are some I have stashed for holidays and very special occasions then there are daily sippers.

Just don't store it on it's side or in the fridge. I've got some 1930 Pernod Terragona that was stored on it's side. <sniff> It will make you weep openly.

In my case it's either bottle 1, 2 or 3.

<-----------------no will power.

As for DP's products, I'd buy two of each, stash one of each and never finish one until you have more ordered.

Now, if I could follow my own advice. *smile*

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the insight. I never really knew about how the seals weren't so tight on the pre-ban, although I knew people always talked about a good "level"... I knew what that meant obviously, but I never made the connection to modern storage. I guess it just comes down to personal preference; do I want to keep it sealed and see what an untouched sample is like years from now, or do I let in a bit of air after tasting. Decisions decisions decisions. I guess I'll just need to go with that other option and buy two of everything!!!

Yeah, I like that option best...

One question that I don't recall seeing discussed here, Dakini, about the clear bottles. I know that Philadelphia Distilling has stated that their clear bottle is treated with something to protect the Vieux Carre from UV rays.

Do the WW and MoL bottles have such a treatment, or should we be keeping them wrapped/in dark cabinets to protect against light?

The small print is "Store in the dark. Do not refrigerate or freeze."

But it'd probably be a little tacky Ken to keep them wrapped in a brown paper bag as I've been known to do when stumbling around the East Village. :twitchsmile:

I bet stumbling around the village with a full bottle of absinthe in a paper bag would make for a very interesting afternoon.

Wayek, I'd love to open a store on the US side of the bridge. It'd have a big sign "Absinthe Shoppe" and I and all my Canadian customers could thumb their noses at the OLCB as they buy their American absinthe. :cheers:

Locate in Buffalo, and I'll be your #1 customer!

I just want this stuff to be available in Canada someday somehow

I hear nothing but good feedback about it!!

((maybe you could sweet-talk the LCBO dakini? :blush:

Edited by Wayek

I would say you should always crack it and have a drink before putting it away. That way, you'll be able to appreciate the aging.

I'm OCD, so it's difficult to see so many bottles laying around. I want to drink them in order of purchase and not start a new bottle until finishing the old, etc, so to keep these around is always hard for me, though I'm much better about it now. My first few years drinking absinthe I wouldn't THINK of buying another bottle until my remaining ones were almost gone...wow, it it ever a different story these days.

Though I'm not the only one, I'm sure!:)

Just got my order of one of each and I have to say, they look beautiful. Something about seeing all that green at once. Gorgeous color for both. If they taste half as good as they look--which from what people have been saying, they do--this just has to be a home run!

I can't wait to louche!!!!!!!

My order arrived today and I just rushed home to see them :) I have one of each and they look delicious.

Is the cork reusable? I just want to make sure before I tear into these.

Yes, the Delaware Phoenix bottles are topped with T-corks, as are most absinthes. It's a plastic cap on top of a cork stopper. Peel off the wax, you can pull out the T-cork by hand, and you're ready for drinkin'! When done, you just push the stopper back in the bottle.

I actually left the wax on the top of the T-cork, and just peeled it off where it was in contact with the glass. But the wax did came off very easily, I bet it does slide off/on without removal, it didn't even occur to me to try that!

I feel quite proud to own the 1st bottle of the 4th run of WW (signed by Cheryl no less!). Of course, it's being dedicated to long-term storage.

I recently hosted an absinthe tasting party for my professional colleagues (who are hopelessly curious about experiences involving the taste buds). I served the majority of the most-recent, smaller distiller's offerings (in the USA). I was flabbergasted that not a single party member expressed disappointment about absinthe, especially since they were all absinthe virgins! Yes, I am convinced that all of them sincerely enjoyed this novel spirit. One of them confessed that the experience inspired her to follow an anise-flavored scone recipe the next morning.

I served 5 different products. DP's Meadow of Love captured gold as far as a popularity goes (Walton Waters was not offered). Marteau was a very close second.

I feel overjoyed by this experience!

I feel quite proud to own the 1st bottle of the 4th run of WW (signed by Cheryl no less!). Of course, it's being dedicated to long-term storage.

I think I should be receiving one of those very shortly.

Storing it fora few months isa fine idea, but I'd recommend enjoying one (or two) glasses now to create a little more airspace in the bottle, so that it can breathe a bit while being stored. At least that's my plan of "attack". :)

I don't even pull off the wax on DP's bottles. The wax slides right on and off the bottle with the cork. ;)

It's the coolest thing! Very handy I find.

My bottle of Walton Waters arrived on Friday, and I decided to open the bottle today and try it rather than age it. Perhaps in three months it will be even better, but I can't possibly imagine how. This smells and tastes SO GOOD. I'll be posting a review within the next day or two, but the short version is that this is my new favorite absinthe, edging out Pacifique.

I'm so happy to have discovered absinthe at a time when high quality products such as these are readily available!

If you haven't had the Meadow of Love yet, you should really look into getting some.

That's next on my list, once I have some cash. I waffled on which one to try first, but if I can afford it, I'm going to get a bottle of each sometime in the very near future.

Looks like your review put WW over the top.

Congrats, Cheryl, looks like your baby is now the new #1 WS U.S. release! :cheers:

Makes me even more impatient for that damned :censor1: truck to arrive! :mbanana: