dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

Congrats on the press, DP. :cheers:

... the stuff about absinthe by Christmas is unlikely now. Sorry. I'm waiting as fast as I can.

I know what that's like. Here's hoping they get the lead out.

...solar powered prayer wheels spinning in the sunlight...

Aren’t those the things with mirrors on them that attract birds for capture?? Seriously- DP I’m all the rage about your good ink! I’m thinking great thoughts and sending them your way.

Da-da-bump!

Today I received forumula approval for my absinthes!

Unfortunately, I have to say something to the effect of "artificially colored" even though all the color comes from the coloring herbs, which doesn't seem very artificial to me. I think it has something to do with FDA regulations regarding claims of "all natural". But it does say the label has to indicate the use of "coloring herbs".

I guess it is artificial that I put herbs in alcohol to change the color of the alcohol. That really isn't natural.

Maybe if I'd described my process as post-distillation flavoring, and the color was simply a side effect of that process, maybe I would have had something nicer to say on the label. But I'm tired of fighting bureaucracy. So, onward absinthe drinkers and distillers! Onward!

Artificially colored...........if it doesn't specify, perhaps one drop of anything per run.

I honestly get weary just reading about your setbacks and couldn't imagine myself going through so much stuff. Your determination is amazing.

Another hurdle jumped and a few to go. Your doing great DP! :thumbup:

I know I'm not the only one anxious to try your product. *smile*

Things are getting better every day. Leopold Bros. just got here, Marteau pre-ordered, Vieux Carre to arrive in my neck of the woods next week and Pacifique and Dakini's absinthe right around the corner.

Good for my palate... bad for my wallet.

Do you even have to mention coloring? It would seem that if you don't mention coloring on the label that you won't have to specify natural, artificial, herbal, or otherwise.

It seems so ridiculously arbitrary at times, no?

Re: ridiculously arbitrary: yes!

Since there is no TTB class and type for absinthe, it falls in the wonderful Distilled Spirits Specialty category. That invokes a bunch of rules about describing the product. It makes my head hurt just thinking about it, so I won't describe it.

But I do know putting herbs in the alcohol, tain't artificial!

i was explaining the "using herbs = artificial" deal to my wife who then proceeded to do what I did when I first heard it:

tilt head, look confused, mutter "wha???" followed with a "how, I mean, you know, they're herbs, I...huh, wow", this ended with a headache.

But don't despair because you're doing the Lord's work!

At Hiram's suggestion I checked out the Statement of Composition of other already approved absinthes on the US market.

Not a single one says "artificially colored", though La Fee lists it's use of caramel and two FD&C colors on the back label, and the Red and green Stromu (Djabel and Green Fairy respectively) state "alcohol with herbs, natural flavor, certified colors and FD&C Yellow #5".

It's really interesting to see all the different descriptions for all the products, even the ones that are naturally colored. "with natural flavors added" seems common. Some actually get to say "infused/colored/flavored with herbs".

Gee, looks like I have another windmill to tilt at. Isn't that right, Sancho? :twitchsmile:

Edited by dakini_painter

Si, amigo. :cheers:

Was it your formula reviewer or your COLA reviewer who wanted the "artificially colored" BS?

If the latter, I've had three different COLA reviewers in the last few months, each of whom have disapproved various bits of our labels that the other reviewers had no issue with. It seems to be a crapshoot. If you bite the bullet and get your label approved with that line, you might want to submit a redesign in a few months just to see what gets by.

But you're getting close! I'm looking forward to asking my biz partner to pick up some next time he's in up north.

Best,

Andrew at Corsair Artisan distillery

Edited by Wolfish