dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

The boards didn't help much. All the announcments were on FB. Artemis did his best to keep the boards up to date.

Also sold out in CC, but not other NY stores.

Edited by Miguel

I'm slow on FB as well. ;)

Fortunately I did look and saw mention of checking Astor Wine & Spirits, Chambers Street Wines, and Heights Chateau's websites as they're supposed to be carrying Blues Cat as well.

Wonder if this will share any similarities to WW or MoL.

Not really, other than being green. This is Eric's recipe and Eric's method. Cheryl may or may not have used certain attributes of the former in batches of her own brands (but I think not) and I'm almost certain she never used his method before Blues Cat. This is an Eric-style absinthe. With all due respect and credit to Cheryl, this is Eric's baby.

The distillation protocols were no different that what I normally used and have been using for years now. They are similar to what I did back with the dinky 30 liter alembic, but the 45 gallon still allowed me to make a few further changes. But it's all methodology that I worked out prior to opening the distillery and especially during the time after getting my TTB permit and the NY State license (a period of nearly 7 months). I was the one that ran the still and made the cuts. We all worked together to load the still with base, water, herbs, herb prep and the like. Eric, Kirk, and Artemis did the coloring, and that was Eric's method upon which I will not comment.

If people want to bitch and moan about who gets credit for what or who did more work than someone else, well that's their problem. As far as I'm concerned, it was exactly what the label says: a collaborative effort. It's something Eric and I had talked about for two years and finally we said, let's just do it. I'm glad we did because I think it's a nice absinthe. And I hope people like it. I think they will.

I want to thank Catskill Cellars and the other retailers for taking on an additional absinthe. In this economy, most have little interest in absinthe, and another absinthe on the market doesn't seem to be the wisest thing. I know many of you have already supported Catskill Cellars, but for those yet to order there are other retailers with online purchasing that will have the product on their sites soon. They'll get their product later this week when I make a delivery trip to NYC. These stores are (in alphabetic order): Astor Wine and Spirits, Chambers Street Wine and Spirits, and Heights Chateau. They may be a little more expensive, but NYC has a bit higher overhead than other places. Hotel Delmano will carry it at their bar (so if you don't see it there, ask for it).

I also want to mention my good friend Sally Blakemore who designed the label which I think is a great label. And I believe it was Mrs. Kirk that took the picture of us on the back.

There's about 10 gallons left to be bottled, but that won't happen until the other stores are low. Then the remaining 50 bottles or so will be allocated to those stores that want it.

Thanks for the support and thanks to the guys for coming out and making a bit of American absinthe history.

It was bottled at 68% I believe; Eric had hoped for 72%.

Yum, 72% would have been a rare treat, although I understand some of the real-world implications which make that more difficult for a commercial distillery. Apparently, Obsello is bottled at only 50% due to some of those same concerns, which is a shame.

[sNIP] I raced to CC to buy a bottle, but of course it doesn't make sense to buy just one... and of COURSE if you buy two bottles it doesn't quite reach the $150 FREE SHIPPING total. So to get the free shipping you have to buy three bottles.

One option is to buy two bottles of absinthe, and then an accessory (such as a spoon) to push it over $150. This time around, I tacked on a bottle of Herbsaint, since I've never had it and I want to try a few prohibition-era cocktails which were originally designed for an absinthe substitute (and/or Herbsaint specifically).

I want to thank Catskill Cellars and the other retailers for taking on an additional absinthe. In this economy, most have little interest in absinthe, and another absinthe on the market doesn't seem to be the wisest thing.

And thanks to you, Eric, Kirk and Artemis for their cumulative contributions to this final product. I managed to get an order in via Catskill Cellars before they sold out, and am eagerly anticipating this one! :cheers:

The distillation protocols were no different that what I normally used and have been using for years now.

I meant "Texas Rectification" when I said Eric's method. I didn't know you were doing that previously. My apologies. I stand by my opinion that Blues Cat has more in common with what Eric has done previously than it does with MOL or WW. The change from fruit-based spirit (Texas Green etc.) to grain-based is significant though, and that makes it much more likely that BC would be perceived to be similar to MOL or WW (or even other grain-based absinthes, for that matter).

If people want to bitch and moan about who gets credit for what or who did more work than someone else, well that's their problem.

I'm not aware that anybody has bitched or moaned. I certainly haven't; I haven't seen or heard Kirk or Eric do so, either.

And I believe it was Mrs. Kirk that took the picture of us on the back.

Yes, she did.

Yum, 72% would have been a rare treat, although I understand some of the real-world implications which make that more difficult for a commercial distillery.

Right. The math is fairly simple, but in practice it doesn't always come out like it did on paper.

Hello All!

This is great to see the anticipation building for Blues Cat's release. It my opinion it's been a long time coming for Eric to get something produced like this. I'm not taking away anything from all that contributed, co-worked, collaborated, or counseled. I'm glad for the sterling team that came together for this. But, it is Eric and his touch that I think will come pouring out of those bottles.

My congratulations to all involved.

I was there in Portarlier in the spring of 2006 with Eric and the bunch. I was invited to tag along to document the process of making L'Artsinale. My wife, Becky and I didn't know anyone involved personally except Eric. For us it was an unforgettable trip. I have been thinking for a while to get those images pulled up and make them available for people to see. We had a small get-together a couple of months after getting back from the trip. I threw a little slide show together and intended to get copies to all involved. I don't remember how many actually got to see the show. I know Eric got a copy though.

I'm working on finally putting something together for those interested to see. I wanted to have it together by this past weekend but we were still working on the project. I'll let you know when I've got it ready and post a link. There's actually video too but, other than just seeing a few minutes of the footage, we still haven't even seen the video. I felt it would be a good thing to pay a little tribute to Blues Cat's Pappy, L'Artisinale.

I hope I can get this together soon.

Congratulations to all! Can't wait to taste the new addition.

Thanks for the support and thanks to the guys for coming out and making a bit of American absinthe history.
I'd say its all "American absinthe history", which I'm thrilled to be a part of even if only as a consumer. :cheers:

Tell us some more of the story, Artemis, please?

It would be the denouement, but what the hell. I think I will. A glass or six of Blues Cat might fuel the muse. Stay tuned.

By the way, I was moved by your whole post and I wanted to respond immediately, but I wanted Eric to read it before I did (as it turns out, he has). He agrees with me: you get it.

And if I didn't do anything but serve as Eric's chauffeur, getting him safely there and back again, I could live very easily with that. He's one crazy diamond that I'm pleased life dealt my way.

It would be the denouement, but what the hell. I think I will. A glass or six of Blues Cat might fuel the muse. Stay tuned

Drink up, man, I'm on the edge of my seat.

These guys and gal are such wonderful and dedicated people, and for them to team up was a win-win in so many ways. Gentlemen/woman/artisans all. I learned so much just from the day or so I hung out with them in Walton, and was humbled by their generosity and spirit. I'm so looking forward to trying this absinthe, as it is a completion of a journey from a year ago...a symbol of a defining moment. A gift... of friendship and love to absinthe, and those who care about it. These people have such knowledge and history, and are so human about it. If a fraction of the wisdom and genuineness I sensed comes through in Blues cat, it will truly be great.

Hey Artemis...Gene Wilder? Oh well... I do love his movies. to quote Willy Wonka, "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

Could have been worse, I could have taken you for Gene's assistant, Eye-gore, or that Jamaican hitman next door could have got you. That was a fun moment. Scott was trying to find our room and when he did walk in, Kirk was in full rant mode about the missing barrel of alcohol.

One off or mass production we will love and cherish every sip and proudly lick the drippings off the side of the bottle.

Oh who the hell am I kidding, we do that anyways! :cheers: :twitchsmile:

Mine's supposed to show up on Friday. I won't be at home that day. :wacko:

I'm still neurotically checking CSC every 2 seconds to see if they got new stock for sale. :(

If you read above, there cheryl still has 50 bottles for whatever stores needs them. I'm guessing poor Julie got steamrolled by the tsunami of orders, and needs a bit to recuperate before asking for more.

Mine's supposed to show up on Friday. I won't be at home that day. :wacko:

I've been in that position too many times.

Luckily, this order is scheduled to arrive next Tuesday, when I will be home. :yahoo:

My wife reminded me, in a hope I wouldn't forget on Saturday. :laugh:

Our hitching wasn't fancy, but the cake by t'sue was good, the crawfish stew was tasty, the Cajun and old rock music was great, the dancing profitable, and we didn't run out of beer and scotch.

Edited by Miguel

Anyone got theirs yet? Ours will arrive tomorrow.
Mine's supposed to show up on Friday
Tuesday,
May 12th.

Oh, oh! I got a confirmation from Julie, but no tracking info yet.

Who did you all order from?