m.a.mccullough

opinions would be much oblidged

So im faced with a decision, 3 bottles of La Coquette for $185 or a bottle of Pacifique, Vieux Pontarlier, and St. George for $195. I tend to have absinthe A.D.D but i hear good things about La Coqutte, is it worth getting 3 bottles of it rather than the variety of absinthes?

3 bottles of La Coquette. I'll trade you one of 'em for a bottle of Pacifique. Win-win.

VP and SG are also-rans, don't worry about them. I'll send you a sample of each as well if you simply MUST know.  :dev-cheers:

I'd say the Pacifique, VP and St. George. Get some variety out there. If you don't dig them then let them rest a bit and swap with someone else who might want to give them a try.

Suppose you don't like La Coquette, then you're stuck with three bottles of it.

Suppose you don't like La Coquette, then you're stuck with three bottles of it.

That's the risk.

That being said, if you knew La Coquette, 3 would not be a waste. I always have at least 2 bottles at a time : the one in my cave, the one in my bar.

Devoille's wine alcohol is a killer when it comes to aging, and having some Coquette in stock for a in a few years frome now is not quite the bad idea.

3 bottles of La Coquette. I'll trade you one of 'em for a bottle of Pacifique. Win-win.

VP and SG are also-rans, don't worry about them. I'll send you a sample of each as well if you simply MUST know. :dev-cheers:

i just might take you up on that.

You can't get 1 bottle of La Coquette and choose 2 of the other 3 bottles?

You're kinda taking a gamble with La Coquette since you haven't tried it. I'd try to get 3 bottles of 3 Absinthes I haven't tried rather than getting 3 bottles of 1 Absinthe I haven't tried.

Or maybe you could get the 3 bottles of La Coquette, and then trade the 2 extra bottles with someone else.

MA has 3 bottles of La Coquette

Rick James has Pacifique, Vieux Pontarlier, and St. George.

MA and Rick James do a trade.

Now MA has 2 bottles of La Coquette and 1 bottle of St. George.

If MA likes La Coquette, he has two bottles. If MA doesn't like La Coquette, he makes another trade with Rick James, who does like La Coquette.

Final:

MA: 1 bottle of La Coquette, 1 bottle of Vieux Pontarlier, and 1 bottle of St. George.

Rick James: Pacifique and 2 Coquettes.

MA: "I am really happy!"

Rick James: "I'm Rick James, Bitch!"

You can't get 1 bottle of La Coquette and choose 2 of the other 3 bottles?

You're kinda taking a gamble with La Coquette since you haven't tried it. I'd try to get 3 bottles of 3 Absinthes I haven't tried rather than getting 3 bottles of 1 Absinthe I haven't tried.

Or maybe you could get the 3 bottles of La Coquette, and then trade the 2 extra bottles with someone else.

MA has 3 bottles of La Coquette

Rick James has Pacifique, Vieux Pontarlier, and St. George.

MA and Rick James do a trade.

Now MA has 2 bottles of La Coquette and 1 bottle of St. George.

If MA likes La Coquette, he has two bottles. If MA doesn't like La Coquette, he makes another trade with Rick James, who does like La Coquette.

Final:

MA: 1 bottle of La Coquette, 1 bottle of Vieux Pontarlier, and 1 bottle of St. George.

Rick James: Pacifique and 2 Coquettes.

MA: "I am really happy!"

Rick James: "I'm Rick James, Bitch!"

nicley said :thumbup: I love it. The reason i can't get just one bottle is because Liquers De France is offering 3 bottle of La Coquette for the price of two so with shipping it comes out to about 60 bucks a bottle which is what ide be spending on any brand I get from DUNY

I'd say go with two bottles of Pacifique and a bottle of Vieux Pontarlier.

Or go with the St. George if you're looking for a fancy salad dressing. :twitchsmile:

This is a bit of an academic question, isn't it, since Pacifique is still listed as Out of Stock at DUNY?

My vote would be for variety as well (I'm also not the biggest fan of La Coquette, though it's admittedly a well-made absinthe that has many devotees). Of what DUNY currently has in stock, I'd pick Vieux Carre, Duplais Verte, and La Clandestine. Substitute VP for one of those if you must. I wouldn't, personally.

Or you could take your money elsewhere. DUNY no longer offers all of the best American absinthes on the market.

Why not make it CLB instead of St George and you'll do fine. It may be a few more of your hard earned $$$ but the rewards are better. JMHO.

<------- Fan of CLB

If you want to try an absinthe that spirits professional F. Paul Pacult rated 5 stars and Classic/Highest Recommendation in his June 2009 Spirit Journal, along with calling it 'the Gold Standard for the Absinthe category', try the Vieux Pontarlier....

If you want to try an absinthe that spirits professional F. Paul Pacult rated 5 stars and Classic/Highest Recommendation in his June 2009 Spirit Journal, along with calling it 'the Gold Standard for the Absinthe category', try the Vieux Pontarlier....

Seriously?

I just opened a bottle of that last night.

Have not tried it yet......but tonight I will.

WoW! Does noone like St. George? I seem to be reading some harshness towars them. And Thanks for the opinions. Does anyone know a good place in the states to order absinthe ( since i seem to be hearing DUNY isnt as good a selection as it could be these days )? Im hoping to find an offering of free shipping or at least cheap, so far DUNY is the cheapest prices I can find with a fair variaty.

- I've tried all 4 of the products you're considering. If it were me, I'd go with the 3 bottles of La Coquette. The exchange rate is pretty terrible right now so it's kind of a bad time to be ordering overseas, but the buy 2 get 1 free is a dang good deal that makes up for the bad timing.

- St. George isn't that bad. It's nothing I'd recommend for someone new to absinthe as it's very, very ecentric (much like the L'Italienne). SG is also priced higher then what I'd be willing to spend on a bottle. If it were a $30-40 absinthe, I'd buy a bottle.

- There is no such thing as free shipping.

Meh. SG is not my thing. I don't mind the flavor, but it's just way too thick from the star anise.

Seconded. I quite like it, but it is a tongue numb'er.

...enter Absomphe or Baubel.

Not to say whether tongue-numbing is good or bad, but how the tongue is numbed and to what degree are factors that go undiscussed. Not that it's easy to discuss, as the nomenclature is lacking.

Just something to think about, probably not very important.

i always asumed the anethole is what made a good tounge numbing as does "licorice" and so a good quality absinthe should have this effect. But thats just my opinion and i am a little bias because I love licorice!!! :heart:

Meh. SG is not my thing. I don't mind the flavor, but it's just way too thick from the star anise.

Seconded. I quite like it, but it is a tongue numb'er.

...enter Absomphe or Baubel.

I quite like it, as well.

On my baby spinach. :thumbup:

Sheesh, one would think you had a personal interest in the stuff, or sumpin'... :cheers: ;)