Le Loup

What's Your Favorite Absinthe Style of Glass?

Currently, my "go-to" glass is a Yvonne-style glass. I found it at a GoodWill and it can't be that old, maybe from the 50's or 60's. It looks like a cross between the Verlaine style glass from the famous absinthe drinking pic of him, and the glass in the classic Privat-Livemont "Absinthe Robette" poster.

:arrr:

Edited by Le Loup

I usually don't drink from "absinthe style" glass but of those I like the East glass and the Swirl glasses.

To derail this a bit, my favorite glass is the one I'm sipping from at the time. *smile*

To derail this a bit, my favorite glass is the one I'm sipping from at the time. *smile*

:cheers:

I don't own it yet, but I really like the simplicity of the Cordon glass, sans cuts. Of course, my fountain could use some bubble glass companions, as well! Time to check the coffers.

+1. 'Cept mine is etched. It's been my go-to glass for many a moon.

My bubble and cordon glasses see some action now and again as well.

I often have to deal with situations where I might have a glass broken because of pets. So I'll use a heavy torsade in those circumstances. Otherwise I go for the reservoir glasses without panel cuts pictured above.

For me, I'd say my Cordon. Though I would like to give the Perigord, Bubble, Pontarlier and East styles a try. I just bought and gave my friend a pair of Torsade glasses as a wedding gift (along with spoons & a bottle, of course ;) ). I thought of almost ruining them by engraving the bases with butterflies.

For me, I'd say my Cordon. Though I would like to give the Perigord, Bubble, Pontarlier and East styles a try.

Tried all those, vintage besides, 'cept for the buble.

Perigord is quite heavy, but it lacks the dose, and the louche is difficult to observe since the bottom is flat... By far the one I like the least. Needs the glass in a glass method to be really useful

Pontarlier is, in my humble opinion a bit over-hyped. While gorgeous in appearance, if the reservoir is not plain, it's not as easy to see the louche. A bit awkward in hand, unless it is one of the elusive "pontarlier cup glass"

Bubble is the king if you want to drink a blanche, or don't use sugar, and drink as a masturbatory (understand solitary) pleasure. You don't need no spoon or brouilleur, and can see perfectly a good absinthe louching.

Tip : Frenchman, creator of fines bubble reproductions, says that you shouldn't put your absinthe until the top of the bubble, so that the water blends better

East style is... Well a glass for vikings. Very sturdy things they are. No particular reason to complain if you have a strong hand.

Currently, my "go-to" glass is a Yvonne-style glass.

Mine, as well.

Clearly a man with class...and not just because he stole the username I wanted, or because his absinthe reviews are spot on.

:worshippy:

You're too kind, LeLoupe. :cheers:

But you're still not getting my Bud Lite screen name...I had too much fun stealing it from Rimbaud. :shifty:

"It is the most delicate, the most tremulous of garments-this drunkeness induced by virtue of that sage of the glaciers."

I too pilfered Jean-Nicolas-Arthur " Le Loup criait" The wolf Howled.

:heart:

The wolf Howled.

The hog jowled.

(OT, yes, but I'm on a roll.)

Don't get me started on that most noble of proteins (the pig). Oh shimmering pork belly, oh crispy crackling, oh baby back, baby back, baby back ribs. Departure into bacon wrapped smoked pork shoulder and artisinal sausage. This is the time of the organic, fat marbled, bone in pork chop.

:chop:

I have three different types and my favorite, without a doubt, and the one I will always use is my Pontarlier. But, I do have a strange fondness for an Yvonne style, which I've never even used. I think it's because my favorite absinthe painting is those two gruffy-looking men in black leaning on their elbows staring at their absinthe. The glasses are of the Yvonne style. I think... I think they're Yvonne...

So yeah, my Pontarlier!