Scott R. Cohen

Milwaukee Absinthe

Thanks for the link, Derrick - I'm getting lazy.

The "natural botanicals" on the rouge belay some of my concerns.

Also good absinthe information on their homepage.

And it looks like their distillery (or at least their business location) is right here downtown. Guess who's going for a visit? :wave2:

The only thing I really dislike about these products (so far)...375ml bottles. I feel like small bottles are a waste of my time and shipping budget.

I just got off of the phone with Doug MacKenzie, the Master Distiller at Great Lakes Distillery, and I have an invite to come down before the actual distillery tour and chat.

I'm definitely looking forward to it. Then, later tomorrow night, there's a tasting at a nearby restaurant. It's going to be a good Friday!

Their product page looks pretty true to form. Sounds like it could be a winner. Definitely let us know what you think!

I just got off of the phone with Doug MacKenzie, the Master Distiller at Great Lakes Distillery...

When did that hoser defect to America, and did he bring his brother Bob with him?

Seriously, sounds interesting, indeed, especially a U.S. foray into the rouge genre.

I have an invite to come down before the actual distillery tour and chat.

Please ask them if they plan to distribute to DUNY and Binny's so the rest of the states can try their product. :cheers:

Please ask them if they plan to distribute to DUNY and Binny's so the rest of the states can try their product. :cheers:

Looks like they're already affiliated with Binny's (as long as you're not in Wisconsin), but I'll definitely be asking about DUNY.

Hi All,

Just to answer a few items that have come up here...

Package- We decided to do 375ml's to make absinthe more accessible. When we were talking to people in our area about absinthe we found a reluctance to make the investment in a bottle of something that a lot of people weren't sure they would like, by doing a smaller bottle we get it down to a price range that opens up trying absinthe to more people.

Distribution- as I'm sure many of you are aware distribution for little guys like us is painful to say the least. We hope to get the product into Binny's and more online stores in the near future. The state of Wisconsin does not permit us or liquor stores in our state to ship spirits to consumers. In the meantime, we welcome visitors to our distillery/tasting room.

We're looking forward to Scott's visit and his impressions of our products! I'm sure he'll have more to report soon.

Guy

I think the 375ml bottles are a good way to introduce a new spirit. Lots of folks would like a sampler before buying the big bottle. Besides, the 375ml bottle fits in my cup holder on my motorcycle. Another selling point....or not. *smileywinkforkintheeyewithadevilgrin*

My apologies for not getting back here faster - it's been a busy several days!

I've never been to a distillery before and this one was a treat. I got to meet Guy, Ryan, and Doug and spend some time chatting and sampling. They're all great folks who are just hyped about being able to distill their own product and it rubbed off on me.

Their vodkas and gin were delicious - and this comes from a guy who generally doesn't like gin.

We also sampled their two absinthes - Amerique 1912 Verte and Amerique 1912 Rouge. In my opinion, they are good beginner absinthes but are not quite ready for prime-time. I'll give a review at a later date. I'm confident that new absintheurs aren't being "led astray" by the Ameriques - they are traditional-style and naturally-colored absinthes, they are tasty, and the facts about absinthe and how to serve it are taught at every turn (including a mini-pamphlet with every bottle and during the distillery tour). I'm looking forward to future versions of them as well.

And thanks again to the folks at Great Lakes Distillery!