Brian Robinson

Where do you now buy absinthe?

Have your buying habits changed since 2007?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the legalization of absinthe in the US, I started wondering how many people have changed their buying habits regarding their sources for absinthe.

There are a lot of amazing brands available in the states now, but there are equally good absinthes available from outside sources. So I'm wondering if the shipping situation has skewed purchasers away from buying from Europe now.

The impetus for this poll came when I realized that there aren't many discussions regarding the most recent absinthe releases from places like Lion and LdF, such as the AO Spare, which has received huge acclaim and has been ranked quite high from absintheurs (formal review upcoming).

So, what are your thoughts?

Now that absinthe is legal in the US I only buy from LDF when they offer something new. Since they have not expanded their selection in a very long time I have had no need to shop there. There are a lot of new absinthes at the Lion that I would like to try but their shipping charges are way out of line. I have bought from other German stores that use the same shipping service as them and I can almost get twice the bottles shipped for what the they charge. The only drawback is that these other German stores don't carry a large selection of quality absinthes.

It's basically a money and shipping issue for me. I'm sure there will be times when I'll spring for something that's stellar and only available outside the US, but I'm satisfied with what I can order from DUNY, though not quite as satisfied with what's on the shelf at the state store. That's a whole other issue thanks to the regulation of liquor in my antiquated state.

I've bought mostly US of late, except for the A.O. Spare when it came out. I still want to get an order in with LdF some time when I can combine it with availability of Perique. Oops, just checked my records and found I did have a more recent LdF that took place in June. Just had to get Essai 4 so got a shipment.

I've leaned toward the domestics of late, I really have been enjoying  MoL and Pacifique. If shipping weren't a thing I'd grab a bottle or 3 of La Coquette in a heartbeat. And a number of others.... :laugh: The last Euro order I did was BA2 and Helfrich awhile back, and I had to go in on that one. The shipping was murderous. I coulda bought a bottle of Pacifique down the street from work for as much!

I still shop at LdF but don't make quite as many purchases. I look at what Lion has to offer but even now his shipping is still a bit rich(always has been)for me. Buying domestic is nice but buying from trusted vendors like LdF is something I'll continue to do until all the good brands are available here.

Right now I'm buying more gin, bitters and liqueur domestically due to my cocktail cravings.

LdF is still my "go to" overseas vendor. They have built quite a reputation and I can't/won't dismiss that hard work.

JMO

I moved closer to the absinthe... :twitchsmile:

When I was in the States still, I think I ordered from LdF once (but first order was from BW! :secret2: ) but didn't really crank up the rate of purchasing until I moved to where shipping is typically under a tenner(£s) for me. I suppose with the cost of moving and Citizenship, I could've stayed in Wisconsin with cupboards full of European bottles!

I didn't post any answers to the poll, but the results are interesting. I think if I was still in the US, I'd likely stock up on the fantastic MoL, but order most everything else from overseas. I haven't found enough to love in most of the US brands yet (but I keep trying)... Plus, call it a rebel streak, but I like getting the things that the US won't approve. :devil:

Edit to add: Actually, I'm in a similar boat with expensive shipping... You can get MoL FAR cheaper than I can. It's the shipping that keeps me from ordering... * sigh *

I've leaned toward the domestics of late, I really have been enjoying  MoL and Pacifique.

What he said.

Between those two, and the occasional HG that comes my way, I haven't had any inclination to do any Euro-shopping, although I occasionally miss the uniquely perfumy dryness of L'Italienne.

Oh, I thought we were talking about absinthe. :tongue:

There are several absinthes from Europe I'd like to keep stocked in my bar but the shipping (and my meager booze budget) keeps me focused on the domestic brands. As been noted before, with the quality of US swill it's hard to feel much more than a twang of nostalgia over the European choices.

I don't do much online shopping of any sort, but since the absinthe choices in local stores here in Austin Texas is shit, online is my only real option. But, DUNY doesn't ship to Texas, which blows. I have been looking at online options and found a joint called The Jug Shop that has a few I want to order like Marteau Absinthe de la Belle Epoque, Leopold Bros, La Clandestine and Vieux Pontarlier. I am wondering if anyone has done business with The Jug Shop and has any thoughts about them. Or if anyone has other suggestions that ship to Texas. Other than, obviously, the sites recommended by the WS. Getting ahold of some COs I want to try like MoL or Pacifique seems next to impossible here in the Lone Star State.

I am wondering if anyone has done business with The Jug Shop and has any thoughts about them. Or if anyone has other suggestions that ship to Texas.

Jug Shop certainly have a good range.

Hi-Time ship to Texas: good people, big range, some very good prices. Several of the Southern Cal people here know the store well.

Been considering sucking it up and ordering a bottle of MoL and WW from DUNY, but tell me if I'm reading this right:

http://www.drinkupny.com/Articles.asp?ID=132

So, I use Paypal (fine), also get charged a handling fee of 8.875%, plus $49 to ship to the UK? (The 'fee' confuses me... I'm wondering why it isn't it figured into the shipping cost already so it doesn't look like the customer -me- is getting stung twice?)

Anyone outside the US have experience with ordering with DUNY? Input/advice appreciated.

I want MoL again... * pouts *

--

Edited to add:

So I tried a dummy order just to run through the motions. A bottle of MoL at $71.99 gets tagged with a fee of $10.74 and then the $49. Total becomes $131.73 for that bottle.

I know that ordering multiples is better shipping value, but two bottles (MoL & WW) means $17.13 in fees... and so on...

Would love anyone to share an international DUNY experience.

Thank you :)

--

Because now I'm a woman obsessed ;) ... edited to add:

I just looked at a comparable order from http://www.absinthe24.de/

If I ordered a liter of Duplais Blanche (a similarly priced bottle to MoL) at $72.47 and shipped it to the US at $42.90, I come up with $115.37 as a total. That's more absinthe (a liter vs 0.75 liter) and $16.36 cheaper than the above DUNY dummy order to the UK.

Obviously, I understand it's cheaper for US to ship within US and EU to ship within EU, I just thought it was interesting to see what it would cost if I were still in the US and wanted EU absinthe. Looks like DUNY costs the UK more than absinthe24 costs the US. It ultimately doesn't mean anything, just interesting.

Because now I'm a woman obsessed ;) ...

That's why some of us live and sometimes simultaneously, the bane to our existence. :cheers:

Looks like DUNY costs the UK more than absinthe24 costs the US. It ultimately doesn't mean anything, just interesting.

Very interesting. The shipping costs/handling fees have been driving US crazy for a few years.

The shipping costs/handling fees have been driving US crazy for a few years.

Plus the "not knowing" factor and the time enroute and customs with another charge at their whim.

Years ago when I ordered from absinthe24, I had an additional cost mailed to me by the shipping company for some reason.....I can't remember now. That's why I've narrowed my vendors to just two or maybe three. If we had all our shipping costs back that we've spent in years/orders past, we'd surely have more booze in our cupboard. *smiley wink*

The shipping costs/handling fees have been driving US crazy for a few years.

Plus the "not knowing" factor and the time enroute and customs with another charge at their whim.

Years ago when I ordered from absinthe24, I had an additional cost mailed to me by the shipping company for some reason.....I can't remember now.

Sounds like the parcel may have been stopped at customs. I get customs bills from DHL when I order from ThinkGeek. :thumbdown:

That's exactly the reason I shop the places I do. When I have the price in my mind what the thing is costing, I don't need another hurdle or spike strips thrown in my way. *smile*

Agreed.

I'm crazy about MoL, and at $71.99 it's a real deal, but if I had to pay $131.73 it would be only a very occasional purchase, as the Jades used to be.

The availability of indigenous absinthe has been a very sobering experience, so to speak. :devil:

shipped it to the US at $42.90

Shipping and handling from ldf for a similar bottle is 25 pounds. 55 euros from Lion. Verte D'Absinthe has changed their shipping a bit, but if you want priority (8 days or less, which is the norm from other vendors) is runs 60 euros.

I suppose it's easy to think that shipping should be cheaper at all places -- generically referenced as -- overseas, but the fact that absinthe is breakable, heavyish, and requires air mail all contribute to the cost. If a bottle could be slipped into an envelope and thrown in a typical mailslot, it'd be cheaper. But it's not :no:

That said, take out air mail and factor in ground shipping via UPS or similar, and it gets a helluva lot cheaper. Which is why I guess I don't understand that extra fee that DUNY charge for international; the package is the same up to the point of entering an aircraft...

The dollar will likely continue to decline against other world currencies for the foreseeable future, so purchasing absinthe from Europe is only going to get more expensive, and not just due to the shipping.

It's certainly more practical for me to shop locally & forgo shipping charges. Although, in all honesty, it's not just that, for the most part I prefer the absinthe that's being produced in the United States to Europe with very few exceptions. Then you add what's been approved and is available in the US and it's almost no contest. I still order from Lion and LdF pretty regularly, I just split the orders, & therefore the amount of bottles that I actually get for myself, & shipping costs with a friend or two.

So, I use Paypal (fine), also get charged a handling fee of 8.875%, plus $49 to ship to the UK? (The 'fee' confuses me... I'm wondering why it isn't it figured into the shipping cost already so it doesn't look like the customer -me- is getting stung twice?)

I'd have to check, but I've heard that Paypal charges X% to commercial accounts above a certain cost. I don't think I could make that more vague. :twitchsmile:

...I order from ThinkGeek.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/831e/ I like this one, especially when trained on something that changes appearance with the changes in color.

the quality of US swill it

Would you hurry up and fire that sucker up?! I know I shorted you on some electrical work, but I'd love to see some of your hard work soon :D

It's more of a brand issue for me. Until DUNY has sexinabottle, I'm going to keep going to LdF.

Seconded. I don't mind ordering from overseas at all, so long as they have what it is I'm looking for. I don't order from overseas just for the fun of it. If DUNY carried what I was looking for, of course I would order it from them.

buying from trusted vendors is something I'll continue to do until all the good brands are available here.

Again, ditto here.

LdF is still my "go to" overseas vendor. They have built quite a reputation and I can't/won't dismiss that hard work.

They are probably the single best overseas vendor, imho. There are others, to be sure, but I'm a huge fan of LdF.

Would you hurry up and fire that sucker up?! I'd love to see some of your hard work soon :D

Everything is proceeding as the gub'mint sees fit and every day is one step closer. It is coming.

There is some great stuff available now. Marc, Gwydion, Rob, Todd and Cheryl are all kickin' out some excellent hooch. I'll throw a slightly different twist into the mix soon but no one can complain about the choices out there right now. How cool is that? :cheers:

I've had all of theirs, except for Todd's, and loved them all. Actually, now that I think about it, I think I had a Leopold DP at either your place or Bill's. Also, now that I think about it, I need to get a new bottle of Marteau.

Yeah, shipping from Europe is just too much to deal with. The money thrown down the drain for shipping is often enough to buy another bottle of absinthe.