Alan Moss

The 50 best things to eat in the world

If this doesn't make you hungry, nothing will.

What really irks me is the fact that although I've had 4 of the experiences listed, I've been within a few hundred yards of another 30 of them and didn't know it.

# 44 is a local pub: the steak and kidney pie is great, but the triple-cooked French fries are amazing.

I take major exception the "slow italian" category (no this isn't a politically incorrect cannibalism joke)...

That honor should go to Villa Borghese in Brooklyn, N.Y.

And what about chili?

Anyway, who cares?

Everyone knows the only category that matters is the best place to eat chicken wings, and that would Duff's in Tonawanda, N.Y. :harhar:

Everyone knows the only category that matters is the best place to eat chicken wings, and that would Duff's in Tonawanda, N.Y. :harhar:

:thumbup: And now with a 3rd location newly opened just a couple miles from my home!!! :dribble:

(I know they're bad for you, but you miss them, don't you, Abs? ;) )

:thumbup: And now with a 3rd location newly opened just a couple miles from my home!!! :dribble:

(I know they're bad for you, but you miss them, don't you, Abs? ;) )

Damn straight, especially their suicidals! :cheers:

Three Duff's locations???

Maybe it's time I thought about moving back. ;)

Only eaten one of those places so far: Konnopke's in Berlin, famous (and rightly so) for their currywurst. I can say, though, that the oysters from the local weekly farmer's market here in France where I am currently residing aren't half bad. A group of us have founded a "Food Club" and make weekly excursions to get oysters and whatever else they might have there. Last time (yesterday) we came back and didn't leave the kitchen for twelve hours. Just sitting and eating and drinking.

So Mississippi isn't represented on this list. I'm shocked! To be honest, I'm not sure I've been within 1,000 miles of any of these.

My first 18 years were lived in MS. I haven't been in 1,000 miles of any of those places either (except maybe Texas). Don't worry, they probably didn't visit MS. They don't know how good Southern Cooking is... There's a reason it's called soul food. They don't know the secret of where the real #1 place to eat is... Shhh.. (It's Grandma's House).

I hate to say it, but if it has to do with greens, gizzards, pig's feet, chitlins, grits, or any other soul food, I likely keep it at arm's length. I don't eat like a southern boy. :shock: I'm much better with some chicken sauteed with soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, buckwheat honey, and white onion served over a bed of steamed rice.

They don't know the secret of where the real #1 place to eat is... Shhh.. (It's Grandma's House).

:laugh: My Grandma wasn't from Mississippi but close enough. It is possible, she was one of the world's top-ten worst cooks. Oh, she tried diligently but was a remarkable failure.

That said, I've spent enough time in the deep south to have a great appreciation for soul food and I can faithfully report: it tastes just as good in the northern tier of the nation but without the repressive heat and humidity. The only problem with cooking soul food in Montana is that good quality fresh okra is rare.

I refuse to accept as definitive any list of the 50 Best Things to Eat in the World which does not include yum pla duk foo. :thumbdown:

Damn straight, skippy.

Thai food wins, always. CC has the best Thai place I've ever eaten at (And the best resturant I've ever eaten at, and lemme tell you, I'm no stickman!) called The Basil. It needs to be topping this list.

just realized I necro'd. Ignore this.

Edited by Mephistopheles D. Grimm

The first time I tried pho, I ordered it as take out, and tried to eat it in my car during my lunch break...It was a miracle that I managed to avoid scalding my own "nasty bits"! :laugh:

Pad Thai is a wonderful hangover cure

It's a wonderful ANYTHING cure.

They need to make rpgs like they made River City Ransom, and add Pad Thai. "Boosts offense, full heal, boosts defense"

And Absomphe, I'm pretty sure Thai is popular with rednecks everywhere. I recently noticed there's 3-4 other Thai places here in town and a small ways north.

I can hear Jeff Foxworthy now "You might be a redneck if..."

What? No crawfish étouffée? No gratons or boudin from Poche's?

No Gumbo from Pat's in Henderson? No boiled crawfish from Richard's Seafood Patio?

And my Mother in law's potato salad did not get mentioned. Fraud Im telling you! ;)

What? No crawfish étouffée? No gratons or boudin from Poche's?

No Gumbo from Pat's in Henderson? No boiled crawfish from Richard's Seafood Patio?

And my Mother in law's potato salad did not get mentioned. Fraud Im telling you! ;)

Miguel, if you know these things, why did you leave Louisiana? I mean, Texas? Really?

Better opportunities, better education for my kids, better Mexican food, better beer, better race tracks, kolaches, slightly less obvious corruption, and some really good steak houses. That and with my still valid passport, I can visit Louisiana whenever I need to re-stock my wormwood booze. :)

I guess the rest might be true, I have no kids and could live without Mexican food. But in my experience the beer is waaaahay not better. I lived in TX for a couple years and couldn't get out fast enough, me

(edit: with apologies for hijack, back on track)

If you ask me, the Abita beers are da bomb, and you can have some pretty damn good food and freshly made beer at the Abita brewery in Abita Springs LA. There's also some good beer being made at the Lazy Magnolia brewhouse in the Kiln MS

The Cajun food at Poor Boy's Riverside in Lafayette LA is some of the best, and their house dressing is to die for

gratons, boudin, etc: the Best Stop in Scott LA, Comeaux's in Lafayette, Billeaud's Shell station in Broussard

There is some damn good turtle soup served in Mobile AL at Felix's Fish Camp

the Mediterranean food at the Phoenicia Gourmet in Ocean Springs MS is just heavenly

Good Vietnamese food (try the Banh Xeo!) at Kim Long's in Biloxi MS

edit again: Husband has just informed me that I've not mentioned the turtle soup and bread pudding at the Bon Ton in New Orleans

Edited by tami

Abita is OK, but I prefer Real Ale Brewing's stuff. Houston has so many tasty ethinc restaurants, that I would miss that, but for cajun cooking they do suck.

When it comes to cajun cooking, the best for me was my mother in law's. A plate heaped with dirty rice, smothered chicken, crawfish stew, potato salad, sweet potato, and maccaroni baked with tons of cheddar and butter, mmmm. Afterwards, just go to the porch, sit on a chair, and watch the sugarcane while petting a cat/dog. And go to the gym for two months to lose the 'effects'. :)

For spirits you are way better off in LA.