AiO

Sipping Absinthe :) Watchin' Movies

That's been in my Netflix queue for awhile, but there's no date on when they'll get it in. :(

Edited by Phoenix

Hey Phoenix. Are you referring to 'A Serbian Film'? It has not yet found a distributor or been released so the only way to see it is by obtaining a screener copy. What was really scary was how good the score was, how well it was shot and acted. Yikes.

Docks was amazing.

I'd only ever seen it once, on grainy VHS, back in the '90s. The Criterion DVD is a revelation, showing off Sternberg's expert command of light and shadow to stunning effect:

Docks_New_York_3.jpg

A silent classic, indeed.

Oh, and I had a Jade in case anyone was wondering. ;)

The Criterion DVD's can be awesome. Most of my Kurosawa stuff is from Criterion, and they often have some very interesting special features that are otherwise impossible to find, like interviews from the 50's and 60's from Kurosawa or Mifune. They do a good job with picture and sound quality as well. Congrats on the purchase!

I finally saw the Danish original series "The Kingdom". I loved it! Stephen King's American version, "Kingdom Hospital", simply does not compare to the original. A perfect cocktail of bizarre, dark humor, and horror.

Unfortunately, season two ends in a cliffhanger which will never be resolved due to the deaths of three of the leading actors.

The new release of the restored Metropolis with the correct orchestral score.

I still think it was a good choice for the added rock soundtrack of the 80's to use Bonnie Tyler's "Here She Comes" when Maria begins her puppet ministrations. :heart:

I just watched Delicatessen on laserdisc last night at about 2 in the morning and finished off my bottle of Walton Waters. That has to be one of my all time favorite movies (and absinthes).

I found that a good David Lynch film can be fun (something like Eraser Head or Mulholland Drive). Although the last flick I watched while sipping absinthe was the Toxic Avenger part 2, and I couldn't stop laughing. True I always laugh at those flicks, but that night it was just really really funny, for the obvious reasons :cheers:

Ooooo I haven't seen The Incredible Melting Man in a few years, I know what I'm watching later thanks for the heads up. The movie is worth watching if for no other reason than Rick Baker's effect work. Although his best work would have to be An American Werewolf in London.

I think I heard that somewhere.

The effects in The Melty Man Cometh just about blew my mind. My girlfriend was very amused to see my expression from across the living room turn from amusement to wide eyed shock during one scene. The scene happened right after the little girl says "Ewww, there's sticky stuff!" and then screams her head off for about three hours.

I had to watch that scene two or three times in a row. It was gross, but it didn't cause me to want to quit watching the film.

I believe so, I keep trying to get my girlfriend to watch it. I've told her it has be the funniest werewolf flick out there. Griffin Dunne as the dead best friend has got to my favorite part of the flick.

Good flick. Wasn't that the first movie to actually show a man turn into a wolf?

I assume you mean without the benefit of editing--like the kind of lap dissolves you see in a movie like the original Wolf Man?

funny, I just got a copy of American Werewolf and have had some nostalgic chuckles over it, and I see it has appeared here without me mentioning it.

If I recall correctly, American Werewolf and The Howling were released pretty close to the same time.

And the winner is: The Howling.

It was released in April of '81. American Werewolf in August.

Either way...a great year for Lycanthropes.

1981 was a good year for horror.

1982 was better.

The 80's in general were good to horror. Sadly, now a days horror movies seem to lacking any real creativity, they are all cheesy remakes or if they are original the lack any real story, just things popping out at you. Except Rob Zombie flicks, he tends to do a really good job. Can't wait to see his version of The Blob

The 80's in general were good to horror. Sadly, now a days horror movies seem to be lacking any real creativity, they are all cheesy remakes like Rob Zombie's flicks. And now he's doing a new version of The Blob? WTF?!

There. Fixed that for ya. ;)

When Rob Zombie re-makes a horror flick, he takes on a new perspective on the story. Like in his version of Halloween, we get to know Michael Myers reasons for all the killing, a back story if you will. By the end of the film you can't help but feel sorry for the guy. He turns Mike from an empty shell of slasher, into a real character.

Its when Michael Bay re-makes things like Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street and simply reshoots the same scenes with new actors, and rehashes the whole movie, without adding anything new to story. Give me something I haven't seen in the original if your going to do a remake.

Edited by zombie