AiO

Sipping Absinthe :) Watchin' Movies

Back tracking to the topic of 'horror' I find Bergman's Persona to be among the most terrifying of films.

depending on how comfortable one is with one's sexuality and level of mental illness, I suppose. On that note, Polanski's Repulsion is a good'un too.....

Back tracking to the topic of 'horror' I find Bergman's Persona to be among the most terrifying of films.

depending on how comfortable one is with one's sexuality and level of mental illness, I suppose. On that note, Polanski's Repulsion is a good'un too.....

...I loved the imagery and pace of the former and not much of Repulsion stayed with me.

I thought you knew not to believe the hype.

I had a friend back in Joisy who would have us over a few times a week and he'd pick the flicks. I really liked that arrangement--I didn't have to think about anything or make an actual decision and I ended up seeing a lot of movies I'd otherwise not have. Actually he's the one who first showed me Kriemhilde's Revenge, triggering a decades long obsession with vengeful mythological women and the empires that crumble as a result of their feelings...!

Anyway that's how I saw Repulsion, sans hype.

not much of Repulsion stayed with me.

Same here.

I dunno, I can think of one or two memorable moments:

large_repulsion_blu-ray2x.jpg

For my money, it's probably Polanski's best film from the '60s, though Knife in the Water runs a close second.

Sure, it's a bit dated in some respects, but over-hyped? I wish I ran in your circle, Abs; most of the people I talk to have never heard of it. The film he made during that decade that's truly over-hyped is Rosemary's Baby, IMO.

Really? I re-watched Knife recently and thought it held up pretty well--a taut little thriller that's nowhere near as cheesy as RB (or some of Polanski's more recent stuff like The Ninth Gate, for that matter).

I don't think I've ever seen a better send-up of macho posturing and male games of oneupsmanship. It's got a killer ending too.

Really? I re-watched Knife recently and thought it held up pretty well--a taut little thriller that's nowhere near as cheesy as RB (or some of Polanski's more recent stuff like The Ninth Gate, for that matter).

I don't think I've ever seen a better send-up of macho posturing and male games of oneupsmanship. It's got a killer ending too.

Somehow Purple Noon popped into my head. At any rate I would say Bitter Moon was one of the cheesier of Polanski's later films. May be a title association going on here.

There are similarities (and PN did come out two years earlier), but Knife isn't an adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's The Talented Mr. Ripley. Similar setting, very different themes, IMO. Also, since Polanski was living in Soviet-controlled Poland when he made Knife, I doubt he'd had the opportunity to see PN. Not to take anything away from the earlier film; it's a good 'un too.

PN was redone back in the '90s as The Talented Mr. Ripley, of course, while Knife was "remade" as Dead Calm in the late '80s. Not an improvement in either case...

Oh, and agreed on Bitter Moon--that movie is wack.

There are similarities (and PN did come out two years earlier), but Knife isn't an adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's The Talented Mr. Ripley. Similar setting, very different themes, IMO. Also, since Polanski was living in Soviet-controlled Poland when he made Knife, I doubt he'd had the opportunity to see PN. Not to take anything away from the earlier film; it's a good 'un too.

PN was redone back in the '90s as The Talented Mr. Ripley, of course, while Knife was "remade" as Dead Calm in the late '80s. Not an improvement in either case...

Oh, and agreed on Bitter Moon--that movie is wack.

Thank you- I suspected that of Dead Calm however it was so completely off! Agreed both are not really so good even without comparing to original works. I kind of liked Ripley's Game though, in a way & saw Strangers on a Train long before reading any (and all) of the Highsmith's Ripley series so it seemed to be a work unto itself in that respect. I had read about Purple Noon in an article about Scorsese and didn't even think I could get a copy of it in those days before internet.

After an evening entertaining, winding down with Roumani Dore Banyuls and watching Fahrenheit 451. I'ts a beautiful snowy evening. I'm liking this new year very much so far. :cheers:

After an evening entertaining, winding down with Roumani Dore Banyuls and watching Fahrenheit 451. I'ts a beautiful snowy evening.

Must have complemented the ending of the film nicely! I've never been a huge fan of Fahrenheit 451 (I greatly prefer some of Truffaut's other movies, as you may have guessed from my avatar), but I've always found the last scene very moving.

Just did Avatar, cool 3D Imax!Great SFX and the story wasnt as bad as the critics said! :thumbup:

I saw this last week myself (3D, no IMAX). It was definitely better than I expected. The motion capture (especially where facial expressions were concerned) was very impressive; the best I've ever seen. And I appreciated the subtlety and restraint Cameron showed in his use of 3D.

The story is nothing new--you know exactly where it's headed within the first 5 minutes and there are never really any surprises--but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Like with Star Wars or The Matrix, the familiarity of the narrative gives it a certain mythical, operatic quality that works well, given the material.

It's not the cinematic revolution that was proclaimed, but it's definitely worth seeing--and is one of those rare (EDIT: contemporary) movies that really does benefit from being seen theatrically, IMO.

After an evening entertaining, winding down with Roumani Dore Banyuls and watching Fahrenheit 451. I'ts a beautiful snowy evening.

Must have complemented the ending of the film nicely! I've never been a huge fan of Fahrenheit 451 (I greatly prefer some of Truffaut's other movies, as you may have guessed from my avatar), but I've always found the last scene very moving.

Just did Avatar, cool 3D Imax!Great SFX and the story wasnt as bad as the critics said! :thumbup:

I saw this last week myself (3D, no IMAX). It was definitely better than I expected. The motion capture (especially where facial expressions were concerned) was very impressive; the best I've ever seen. And I appreciated the subtlety and restraint Cameron showed in his use of 3D.

The story is nothing new--you know exactly where it's headed within the first 5 minutes and there are never really any surprises--but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Like with Star Wars or The Matrix, the familiarity of the narrative gives it a certain mythical, operatic quality that works well, given the material.

It's not the cinematic revolution that was proclaimed, but it's definitely worth seeing--and is one of those rare movies that really does benefit from being seen theatrically, IMO.

Yes it was perfect really... I figured you would catch the Truffaut reference. Do agree not his finest, however I liked the film more than the book. I saw it for the first time just a few years ago on TCM and was captivated. Surprised a coworker of mine recently by having a copy of "The Story of Adele H"- part of my odd vintage paperback collection, I've yet to see the film though!

"The Story of Adele H"

A good one. Maybe the best Truffaut made in the '70s (despite my fondness for The 400 Blows, I've never been all that crazy about the later Antoine Doinel films).

The Green Room gives it a run for its money, though.

Sipping on some 5 month old Pacifique and watching "Gothic" 1986 Ken Russell (one of my personal favorites)

and Andy Warhol's "Flesh For Frankenstein". So if you like the very weird more than seeing PF 1901 in a Bonque

you might want to check these out. :tongue:

Flesh for Frankenstein was weird shit. The title kept reminding me of some old song.

Just finished Cobra Verde. It's been awhile...

Sweet! Fitzcarraldo was my favorite Kinksi/Herzog collaboration, but Cobre Verde was right up there with it. Have you ever seen My Best Fiend?

Edited by baubel

Sweet! Fitzcarraldo was my favorite Kinksi/Herzog collaboration, but Cobre Verde was right up there with it. Have you ever seen My Best Fiend?

oh hell yeah. I like when he is talking to the old couple living in the former boardinghouse about Kinski living there as a kid; the wife's expression of distaste at hearing about the things that happened there was hilarious to me. I always wanted to smash a toilet until you could sift it thru a tennis racket...

Let's make a weekend of it some time. Back when I was doing creative writing stuff I wanted to imitate the poem he reads. ;)

"It Might Get Loud"

I laughed my ass off the first time I saw a trailer for it, because I had seen this years earlier.

About :45 seconds in. :twitchsmile:

Edited by baubel

I thought that film was cool. I got a kick out of the part at the end when the Edge is teaching Jimmy and Jack the chords to "The Weight" and they're playing it a bit and then he realizes that he has the wrong the chord and its supposed to be a Bm and Jimmy and Jack are like "oh shit", they were playing it the wrong way and didn't notice!

Good watch if you're into guitars. I was hoping there would be a bit more playing though. I originally thought it was a jam between the three of them which would haue been very interesting.