AiO

Sipping Absinthe :) Watchin' Movies

My Ipad does not allow me to see certain pop ups or video links. I missed entirely what you watched Hedonmonkey. I watched a horrible movie called EVIL THINGS. At least it was free on Amazon Prime instant video. Even $1 would have been too much.

However, like Lee Van Cleef used to say as his character in THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY......"when I start a job, I always see it through!"

I was watching "Around The Horn". Filmed in 1929 by Irving Johnson. It's only about half an hour long, but quite interesting. (even if one doesn't sail)

Instead of EVIL THINGS, you might try Evil Bong... it's funny enough to be worth a buck. :devil: (imo)

the other night saw The Wicker Man remake. Oy Vey. Truly awful. Utter failure on so many fronts; I had to watch the 1980 Flash Gordon afterward to wipe the taste out of my mind. The Pacifique, however, was as nice as ever.

Last night, Perroquet and The Master. I'm no die-hard fan of P.T. Anderson (in fact, I find much of his work insufferably pretentious), but this is a remarkable film. And Joaquin Phoenix's performance is truly astonishing.

I'm no die-hard fan of P.T. Anderson (in fact, I find much of his work insufferably pretentious), but this is a remarkable film. And Joaquin Phoenix's performance is truly astonishing.

Phoenix's performance was, indeed, incredible (in fact, everyone's performance was stellar) but the film itself left me a bit cold, and I can't say that I didn't sense more than a bit of that trademark insufferable P.T. Anderson pretentiousness.* To each his own, obviously.

*OMG... why is it suddenly raining frogs, up in heah?! :shock: :laugh:

Edited by Absomphe

Some dry blackberry wine and watching VIKINGS episode 1.

May go with a bit of L'Ancienne later.

Edited by greytail

I'll do you the favor of assuming you mean the Jade. There are not many films I'd describe as evil; Birth of a Nation is one of them. It's not every movie that single-handedly helps revive the KKK and contributes to an uptick in lynchings. It's always defended as "historically important," but 90% of the things Griffith is credited with inventing in it, he stole from better filmmakers. It's racist garbage, pure and simple.

This is not to condemn Songcatcher for watching it. I sometimes show clips to students in my classes when I want to impress on them the fact that films can have a devastating ideological impact on society. I occasionally show clips from Triumph of the Will for the same reason. Personally, however, neither are movies I'd pair with a fine absinthe.

Good one was more of a humourous jab at your emoticon response. Have not seen the film myself.

Edited by greytail

Unless watching white actors in blackface attempting to rape virginal white women and the Klan riding heroically to the rescue is your idea of a good time, I'd say you can safely pass.

The first time I saw Birth was a grainy, poor quality version/ Netflix has a digitally remastered one. It amazes me the mindset of people back then. Or was that just the directors idea of popular society at the time? And no, it did not make for a fine sipping experience, so I switched to 'The African Queen'. But now 'Warriors of the Rainbow', about the Tiawanese peoples revolt against invading Japan, (on netflix also), was both compelling and amazing.