AiO

Sipping Absinthe :) Watchin' Movies

Pacifique & a cheesy 80s docu-comedy on the proper way to catch and incarcerate ghosts. And animate gigantic statues. Part II.

Gotta love old skool comedy.

Pacifique and Live in Pompeii.

Mac, the tech used by PF then looks 'steampunk' to my 21 century eyes. Add to my enjoyment of this very cool movie

Edited by Miguel

I'm needing a Mel Brooks fix in the worst way, so I flipped through my MB collection and decided on History of the World, pt1.

Ummmm, I'm drinking water...but I'm imagining there's a yummy verte in it.

To quote Mel in the movie.....Everything is so green!

:cheers:

Last night, I enjoyed several glasses while watching Midnight Cowboy, while wife and kids were asleep.

What an ground-breaking film that was in its day.

Oh, if it's French you want, then Berthe de Joux and Jean Cocteau's 'Orpheus' (1947). Where death is a female - naturally - and she comes and goes through mirrors by using rubber gloves to penetrate the glass. She rides in a chauffered Rolls-Royce. Her henchmen drive motorcycles and and carry submachine guns. The scene where Orpheus goes into the underworld to find his wife Euridyce is beautifully done - one of my favorite scenes in any movie.

Edited by distill my beating heart

The scene where Orpheus goes into the underworld to find his wife Euridyce is beautifully done - one of my favorite scenes in any movie.

You have excellent taste, mon ami.

I'm salivating in anticipation of the Blu-Ray version of Orpheus that Criterion is releasing in a few short weeks. Meantime, I have their Blu-Ray of La belle et la bete to keep me company. I think I know what I'm watching (again) tonight.

The scene where Orpheus goes into the underworld to find his wife Euridyce is beautifully done - one of my favorite scenes in any movie.

You have excellent taste, mon ami.

I'm salivating...

I like Beauty and the Beast as well. There are some wonderful visuals in Beauty and the Beast: the living arms holding the candleabra to light the hallway, the living faces around the fireplace, the moving ears on the beast. Very subtle. Quite unique at the time. I'm not as seduced by Blood of a Poet, and the Testament of the Poet. But if Cocteau only made Orpheus and 'Beauty' it would be enough to rank him with the best.

I was taken as a child to go see a double feature of both of those movies; Beauty and the Beast was first, and in between movies a guy with a huge afro sat in front of me so I had to try and peek around it for the next hour and a half. I never saw Orpheus in its entirety until I was in my 20's. The really obnoxious part is that even as a kid I knew the story of Orpheus so I probably would have gotten much more of the story as a child than I was afforded the opportunity to. As it turned out I saw it when quite drunk, you know, like a poet.

Edited by buddhasynth

been hittin' the '50's sci-fi of late. Last night was the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, yesterday was Forbidden Planet, before that the War of the Worlds. Something about those clichéd '50's guys with the pipe, uniform, brilled-up hair, and baritone-voiced authoritative demeanor just cracks me up to no end.

Gene Barry?

I saw the Angry Red Planet over the weekend. I like Robinson Crusoe on Mars a lot more though.

The farmhouse scene in War of The Worlds used to scare the red weed out of me when I was a kid. Now though it's kind of laughable.