• Please log in to reply
988 replies to this topic

#31 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:52 AM

I don't think you'll be disappointed--just don't expect the fireworks of Apocalypse Now or the opera of The Godfather. It's a film in a completely different register. Great, great movie. It also has one of my favorite musical scores of all time--really haunting.

Check out Buffalo 66 too while you're at it. Take a look at this trailer and tell me it isn't one of the best ever cut.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#32 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:46 AM

Funny you mention Buffalo 66. A buddy gave me a stack of obscure and indie films to watch, and Buffalo 66 was one of them.

As a matter of fact, I got on here to recommend a different one from that stack. If you all haven't seen Winter Passing, you should go find a copy somewhere. Maybe the rental stores will have it. Netflix probably does. It made me fall in love with Zooey Deschanel all over again too (HG2G).
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#33 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

Pan's Labrynth
Life is moist and stinky

#34 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

Been hittin' Young Frankenstein pretty hard in the last few days; last night was Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#35 Mike R.

Mike R.

• PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

Showgirls: The unrated version?

#36 Le Loup

Le Loup

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:35 PM

"Naked" by Mike Leigh (one of my favorite directors). David Thewlis's performance as Johnny is classic. Although I have watched many women leave the room during this film.

#37 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

Brutal movie. And brilliant.

I'm about to pop in Godard's Contempt and give it another watch before we tackle it in class this week. I'm thinking that Meadow of Love may pair well with Brigitte Bardot.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#38 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

really? I was not impressed. Me and the wife were bored stiff.

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#39 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

Truly. But I'm a sucker for British/UK social realism--Mike Leigh, Ken Loach, Lynne Ramsay, Andrea Arnold, etc.--going all the way back to the early '60s "kitchen sink" stuff.

I find Naked fascinating mostly because of the protagonist. I'm always interested when a movie puts a thoroughly unsympathetic--in this case, downright despicable--character in the lead role. It's like a game--it challenges to our tendency/desire to identify with the "hero" of the film--but (at the risk of sounding totally pretentious) I think that it also teaches us something about humanity, both ours and Johnny's.

For an interesting contrast to Naked, check out Mike Leigh's last movie, Happy-Go-Lucky. It's protagonist is the exact opposite of Johnny in every respect, but her indefatigably sunny and chipper personality tests the audience in exactly the same way.

#40 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,723 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:07 AM

Indeed!

Thewlis's performance was one of the greatest of all time, in my opinion.

Okay, it was no Daniel Day Lewis in "There Will Be Blood", but it was pretty damned incredible, nonetheless.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#41 Entropy

Entropy

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

The Killer Shrews, starring Festus himself James Best. Mystery Science Theater 3000 did this movie. One of my favorite episodes, but this is just the movie in all it's grandeur.
Do nothing and leave nothing undone.

myspace

other myspace

livejournal

#42 Entropy

Entropy

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:20 AM

"The Descent" was greatly intensified with Duplais and Marteau, as was "I Am Legend" and its older brother classic "The Last Man on Earth" with the great Vincent Price,one night recently ... :shock:

I'd go with the older brother (I'd rather almost call it completely nonrelated distant cousing) any day. I am Legend completely destroyed the intent of the book. Last Man stayed true to the book, and it had Vincent Price.

Speaking of The Descent, I saw Pandorum last week. It wasn't what I was expecting at all from the trailer. Not bad. Not life changing. It's very much a cross between The Descent and Event Horizon.

myspace

other myspace

livejournal

#43 Entropy

Entropy

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

Carpenter really did a good job with The Thing, when I read Chamber's "Who Goes There?", I was really surprised and really impressed at how well he adapted it.

The Thing is one of my all time favorites.

Lynch's Dune is fun to watch with some Montemarte in hand. :twitchsmile:

Lynch's Dune is one of my all time favorites. Echo?

myspace

other myspace

livejournal

#44 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

The Killer Shrews, starring Festus himself James Best. Mystery Science Theater 3000 did this movie. One of my favorite episodes, but this is just the movie in all it's grandeur.

YES!!! the big shrews that are obviously dogs! I saw that when I was young enough to seriously dig Godzilla and the blatant dog-ness of the shrews blew me away.

The baldfaced audacity! :laf:

#45 Neorebel

Neorebel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

Been hittin' Young Frankenstein pretty hard in the last few days; last night was Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress.

I just saw that recently myself... I got it in a boxed set with Yojimbo, Sanjuro, & The Seven Samurai... Any suggestions for my next Kurosawa film?

#46 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:35 PM

Rashomon, baby. Quintessential Kurosawa.(say that 5 times fast when drunk!)

#47 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:52 AM

Ikiru. One of the most moving films ever made. Up there with The Seven Samurai as my favorite Kurosawa.

I'm also a big fan of High and Low, a ransom thriller with Toshiro Mifune in the lead.

#48 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:38 AM

Throne of Blood has some great imagery in it as well. If you like that sort of thing..

#49 Jetzster

Jetzster

Advanced Member Äbsintheuris~Practicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

YES!!! the big shrews that are obviously dogs! I saw that when I was young enough to seriously dig Godzilla and the blatant dog-ness of the shrews blew me away.
The baldfaced audacity! :laf:

I still remember that 50 gal barrel's raggedly cut square viewing window with a long fang hung up on its edge,trying to get in.. :shock:

Another jewel classic is "Panic in the Year Zero" with Ray Milland finding a place to hide his
50's family when enroute to go camping ,(a nuke hits LA behind them)...great panic scenes like throwing gasoline out and trying to cross the main LA escape drag with the family trailer in tow!
:thumbup:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.."-Mahatma Gandhi 1869-1948)
. ......".Barkeeper!...Marteau!!...and fresh horses for my men!...."

#50 Le Loup

Le Loup

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

Truly. But I'm a sucker for British/UK social realism--Mike Leigh, Ken Loach, Lynne Ramsay, Andrea Arnold, etc.--going all the way back to the early '60s "kitchen sink" stuff.

I find Naked fascinating mostly because of the protagonist. I'm always interested when a movie puts a thoroughly unsympathetic--in this case, downright despicable--character in the lead role. It's like a game--it challenges to our tendency/desire to identify with the "hero" of the film--but (at the risk of sounding totally pretentious) I think that it also teaches us something about humanity, both ours and Johnny's.

For an interesting contrast to Naked, check out Mike Leigh's last movie, Happy-Go-Lucky. It's protagonist is the exact opposite of Johnny in every respect, but her indefatigably sunny and chipper personality tests the audience in exactly the same way.

We need to talk film my friend, "En Ra Ha"!!!

#51 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,723 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:16 PM

Yuppers, that Scott was a major fruit bat, alright.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#52 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:49 PM

We need to talk film my friend, "En Ra Ha"!!!

As Brando once said: Whatcha got?

#53 Entropy

Entropy

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:23 PM

Another jewel classic is "Panic in the Year Zero" with Ray Milland finding a place to hide his
50's family when enroute to go camping ,(a nuke hits LA behind them)...great panic scenes like throwing gasoline out and trying to cross the main LA escape drag with the family trailer in tow!

I actually watched it about 2 weeks ago. I saw it in a double feature with Last Man on Earth at walmart for 5 bucks. Had to get it. I also liked Throne of Blood. But yeah, only if you're into that Shakespeare stuff.

myspace

other myspace

livejournal

#54 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

Absinthe, House M.D. and a little medical knowledge makes for a great night.
Absinthe Veritas, Distiller Probitas. These are the things we fight for.

#55 Jetzster

Jetzster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

I actually watched it about 2 weeks ago. I saw it in a double feature with Last Man on Earth at walmart for 5 bucks. Had to get it. I also liked Throne of Blood. But yeah, only if you're into that Shakespeare stuff.

Millands "The Man with the X-Ray Eyes"was rather disturbing, also I wonder if his "The Lost Weekend" had been about Absinthe, instead of whiskey ,what the critics would have thought.. :g:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.."-Mahatma Gandhi 1869-1948)

#56 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,732 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:23 PM

I watched Miracle Mile a few weeks ago while sipping some absinthe.

Diamonds. :cheers:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#57 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

Although it's not a movie, I got into a habit of watching Battlestar Galactica while drinking Duplais Balance. So much so that when I see an episode I can kind of taste the absinthe.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#58 Jetzster

Jetzster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:46 PM

:twitchsmile: Another Absinthe classic:Bradbury's "The Illustrated Man",with Rod Steiger and Claire Bloom...intense short stories with a recurring theme of "the conflict of the cold mechanics of technology and the psychology of people" all tied to different tattoo "illustrations" on a tortured individual..
Great Absinthe Movie! :thumbup:

#59 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,732 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

Imagine how many glasses you could louche in The Long Rain!

Brings a different kind of meaning to the dead leaf look though... :thumbdown:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#60 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:44 AM

So I was thinking:

Posted Image

There seems to be a goodly number of horror/sci-fi movie fans here and tis the season for these kinds of movies. What are you planning to watch around Halloween (with glass in hand, of course)?

I love watching silent horror/fantasy films this time of the year, but we've pretty much covered that ground (I couldn't resist throwing in one last shout-out to Conrad Veidt in The Man Who Laughs, though--you've seen this one, right buddha?).

So what else? Personally, I'm also a sucker for black & white gothic Italian horror movies from the 1960s: Black Sunday, Castle of Blood, Nightmare Castle. Pretty much anything with Barbara Steele in it.

How about you?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association