Speaking Of Smoking....

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:30 AM

I'm thinking it's time to quit. I KNOW that I have emphysema,I havent been officially diagnosed with it but my lungs rattle when I breathe in and I cough up enough black stuff to fill a cup probably each day.... I started about 10 years ago and probably only went one month total without having something to smoke.. yes I do the bad stuff too, (shamefully) but I found that ever since I started getting into absinthe that I have cut down on it ALOT to the point where I dont really want it anymore and absinthe lasts a hell of alot longer then my smoke! I wouldnt really say that it saves me money but it definately goes towards a better cause. I coughed up a little red stuff earlier today and am seriously getting tired of having to go cough up black chunks every 10-20 minutes and am seriously thinking of flushing the cigarettes for good.
nasty prisms good sir

#2 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:36 AM

Good idea.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#3 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:06 PM

As long as you want to quit, it's just a matter of making the decision and using your mind to overpower the impulses of your body. Finding that will within yourself has many benefits in life outside of just quitting smoking.

#4 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

I've done it before, quit for a year and started back up again after I landed in the hospital for 9 weeks and almost had to get my leg amputated.....stupid hospital!
nasty prisms good sir

#5 Mike R.

Mike R.

• PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

Probably a good/great idea at this point.

Best of luck and take care of yourself.

#6 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:06 PM

Thank you very much!
nasty prisms good sir

#7 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:38 PM

What every one said. I'd also like to add that you need to go see a pulmonologist, if you haven't already. That is concerning (the coughing up of black chunks and now red, too).
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#8 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

I used to be confused by how difficult some people find it to quit smoking, and I admit I used to put it down to weak willpower.

I've quit many times when it was either inconvenient or undesirable to smoke (SO's preference, non-smoking homes, etc.) and never had so much as a hint of a nicotine fit. I've let full packs of cigarettes go stale because I forgot I had them. I would never go out into the cold or rain just to smoke. Screw it, I can wait. Tobacco is for enjoying, not getting a fix. etc.

Then I learned that there is apparently a genetic factor which suppresses nicotine addiction in some people.

Wayek, I fully support you in your decision to quit. Clearly it's not in the best interest of your health to continue, and let's face it, tobacco is just a recreational pastime. Your quality of life will only profit from quitting.

:cheers:

www.absinthemarteau.com

#9 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

In addition to the above, while I'll go all day without even thinking of tobacco, once the missus and I sit down at night to a couple of DVDs or Instant View on Netflix, I'm good for maybe five to seven cigarettes in a few hours.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#10 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:08 PM

Not preaching, but quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for your health...especially in light of coughing up abnormal secretions! I have to echo what MASTERPC said about seeing a pulmonologist. Take care of yourself.
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#11 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

Good luck, Wayek. I quit this last April. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be.

I'll third what has been said about seeing a doctor (if you weren't exaggerating). A greyish/blackish phlegm jim every now and then is not abnormal as a smoker, but every 10-20 minutes sure is.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#12 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

thank you for the words of encouragement, I've quit before and I should be able to do it again
and like I HAVE to quit...absolutely HAVE to... I know people who have been smoking for 30-40+ years and their lungs are in better shape than mine...

hopefully I can stick with it this time

I'm going to be one of those people who get stage IV lung cancer at 33 if I don't and that really scares me
I watched this documentary called: Thanks Tobacco: you killed my mother, of this guy who filmed his mothers struggle with cancer from when she got diagnosed to 3 minutes after her death she was diagnosed in september and died in march
nasty prisms good sir

#13 StevePrime

StevePrime

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

My general rule is that if you do anything so much that it causes you health problems, STOP doing it. As is usual for rules, it doesn't quite work for everything so I have a "b" exception that goes "well, at least cut back" -- I use that for things like food & sex. Dying from it does seem like a high price to pay so I'm glad to hear you're trying to give it up.

I've learned that some of these substances/actions are more or less binary for certain individuals. For my grandfather, that substance was alcohol. Some of us can drink in moderation (some even in excess) without letting it kill us. He could not. It did. Some of us can smoke in moderation (and some, excess) without it taking a toll on our health. The sooner one realizes he's NOT in that group, the longer he'll live. At least, that's how the theory goes.

I'm lucky to have that aforementioned genetic ability to avoid nicotine addiction; I've smoked 7 cigarettes and 2 cigars in 2009. Since I'm genetically pre-disposed to a whole bunch of other things that could kill me early, it's nice to have that one crossed off the list. It's good you're crossing it off yours.
"flaming absinthe cocktail was probably the classiest thing I've ever had."
-Overheard on Twitter

Twitter: StevePrime
Facebook: StevePrime

#14 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:43 PM

Interesting discussion. Now I'm wondering something....

Our culture assumes that all adults more or less fall into one of three catagories:

1) People who have never smoked cigarettes or only tried it a couple times or less and didn't get hooked because they didn't like it.

2) People who smoke several cigarattes a day and get cranky when they are unable to.

3) People who used to be in catagory 2 who have successfully quit.

But how many people are "social smokers" who partake only on certain occasions?

As for myself, there was a brief time when I was much younger when I smoked daily. Later in my 20s I sometimes smoked while drinking, although like Gwydion I sometimes had cigarettes go stale on me because months might go by without the mood to smoke striking me.

Then several years ago I just decided they didn't do anything positive for me at all and I haven't smoked one since. (I'm talking about cigarattes only - cigars are another story.)

So is the occasional cigarette smoker common?
If it's legal is it as fun?

#15 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:46 PM

I'm generally opposed to smoking cigarettes. Seriously.
I am in favor of smoking salmon but be sure to fillet them first so the fins don't poke holes in the paper.

#16 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,724 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

Perique is as close as I like to get.

And that is only on very, very special occasions. :cheers:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#17 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:25 AM

I've never smoked cigarettes. However, I've quit a few very bad habits successfully cold turkey. Rough days but well worth it. My wife smokes and she had quit one time for ten years. It ain't pretty!

You will quit when you decide you want to quit or just before they start throwing dirt in your face.

Good luck on your choice. It has to be your choice.

There is quite a nice support group right here also but you've seen that.

Good luck and Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#18 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:14 AM

MrGreenGenes, I fall into category three, though I suppose I still am a social smoker on occasion. I find a pack every once in a while at work and keep it until I see my mother or in-laws. I usually smoke one or two before they get them, but have never gone back to smoking cigarettes on the daily routine. I'm with these guys though, smoking is not the best habit and Perique & salmon taste much better.
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#19 Muckaxe

Muckaxe

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:05 PM

I started smoking when I was 11, and quit for the first time at age 20. After about a year and a half of trying to quit by reducing I found that the only method that actually worked was going completely cold-turkey. You need to just cut the cord in order to learn how to live without it. I started up again two years later, and then quit again after another two years. It'll be 5 years next month without a cigarette.

I've had excess problems my whole life. When I smoked, I smoked a pack and a half to two packs a day. When I did drugs, I absolutely pounded in as much as I could get as often as possible. At one point I was 100 pounds overweight, because I would just eat and eat and eat. I still could stand to lose about 40 pounds, but six years ago I had to move to an all plant-based diet in order to not be dangerously overweight.

Strangely enough, the only major vice I never had a problem with was alcohol. I never really liked the taste of anything outside of a few wines, and never enjoyed being extremely drunk. Absinthe is really the only alcohol I enjoy drinking regularly, and I rarely go over the edge.

Wayek, I really hope you are able to quit and get the health care you need. One of the greatest blessings I found after I quit was that I could smell again. There were all sorts of olfactory nuances that I was simply unable to register when I smoked that suddenly came flooding back. It was really beautiful.

Edited by Muckaxe, 21 September 2009 - 05:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association