• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:06 PM

Love 'em or hate 'em?

Bought a Kuba Kuba last week on a lark. Had quite the surprise when I got home and smelled it. It's still in its cellophane in a segragated section of my humidor until I decide the time is right.
If it's legal is it as fun?

#2 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:11 PM

Wouldn't say I hate them. But it's a cold day in hell when I smoke one.

#3 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

Are you suggesting I should visit Wasilla, AK in January and smoke it there?

#4 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:14 AM

Wouldn't say I hate them. But it's a cold day in hell when I smoke one.

+1

It was like smoking a cigar full of flavored perfume.
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#5 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:56 AM

Zactly.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#6 zombie

zombie

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

I dont know to much about cigars but I would have to agree, didnt care for them. Its not often I do smoke a cigar, but when I do its either a punch or romeo and juliet. To tell the truth, those 3 are the only cigars I've ever tried
:hysterical2: Just had to add this 'cause I love the Python refernce
Props For Buddha

#7 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

It used to be - if I bought a cigar, it was an Onyx, a Romeo y Juliet, or an H. Upman (that happened to be Cuban I bought during a Canadian visit). Or it was something else given to me at a party, but it was hard to remember what it was.

Now with a humidor, I'm broadening my horizons.

#8 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:35 AM

Just found out I have club priviledges at the Grand Havana Room in NYC. I shall be visiting when I'm there on vacay in October. :cheers:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#9 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

Well, I smoked the Kuba Kuba yesterday. The reviews are either love 'em or hate 'em, and I fell in the love 'em camp. It doesn't go well with absinthe like I feel a traditional-style cigar would, but it was a very pleasent, contemplative smoke. If you're willing to stray outside of your ideas of what a cigar should taste like, you may like them.

#10 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:17 AM

I personally don't have a problem with new and inventive ways to enjoy a cigar. I just prefer my mouth not to feel like I was stuck breathing behind some old woman in a JC Penney's who doused her body in 20yo perfume, and that's what ACID cigars taste like to me.
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#11 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

Well that's how it smelled to me at first, but while smoking I found the herbal flavors to be complementary to the tobacco flavors.

But the reviews I read online are eather love 'em or hate 'em, so to each his (or her) own.

#12 brennivin

brennivin

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

It depends on the cigar, there's no way to make a generalisation about the entire brand, there's just too much variety in the mix. Some I find overbearing, some I find to be beautiful cocktails. And every Drew cigar I've smoked (incl. non-Acid lines) has been constructed flawlessly.

The Kuba Kuba and Kong (both blue line) I've tried were to sweet for me. The Liquid, Nasty (both from the red line), and Five (it's own critter) were all fantastic. The Atom (yellow) was good, but not something I'd go back to.

The non-Acid stuff Drew does, some infused, some not, are generally good too. I've had three different Naturals, a La Vieja Habana, and a Tabak Especiale (coffee infusion), and all were winners.

I'm inclined to give 'em a spin whenever one of his sticks sounds interesting. I don't like 'em all, but the same goes for even more traditional and commonly respected brands like Cohiba, Punch, etc.

#13 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

Am I correct that all Acids of particular line (blue, red, etc.) have the same infusion, so if you liked the flavor of one cigar, you'd like another of the same line, provided the shape also worked for you?

#14 brennivin

brennivin

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:21 PM

I don't think they have the exact same infusion, just a similar family of infusions. Like not all mexican food is the same, but it's all mexican, and not thai. Drew is pretty vague about their infusions, so I don't know for sure if that's the case, but it seems to be :)

#15 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

The 2 different ones I've tried were like spritzing Polo in my mouth. One had a blue band (I think it was the Kong), I don't remember the color of the other but I know it wasn't the same as the blue band one. All I know is both reminded me of the perfume drawer in an old lady's vanity.

So, to me, 2 completely different cigars were enough for me to generalize the brand. It would've been different had I been able to notice any nuances past the parfume'.

#16 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

ACIDs are very much an aromatic-first cigar. I used to really like them, when I was first getting into cigars, but now I can barely stand the taste of them. There are only one or two I still enjoy. Of course I can't recall their names. Every once in a while I'll get a 5-pack of the C-notes, if I can even find them. They're a nice little smoke. I do find that I more like Acids within one "color family". The Red banded ones tend to be a bit too strange for me. The Blue ones are not bad. I just think all the Drew Estate range is a bit too unconventional for me. Not that trying new things is bad, but for me I just like a more straight forward cigar.
Life is moist and stinky

#17 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

I had my first ACID today--a Blondie. I smoked it on the front porch while watching the local "Frozen Buns Run" that goes right past my house. It was fine, but I'm so new to cigars I probably wouldn't know a good cigar from a bad cigar. My plan is to keep notes and track what I try and how my tastes evolve. I'm sure I'll reach a point where I don't like ACID anymore, but for now they're fine to cut my teeth on.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#18 MrGreenGenes

MrGreenGenes

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:11 AM

Love the Blondies - relaxing 25-30 minute smoke. Another nice short smoke are the Waifs. They have the same infusion as the Blondie/Kuba Kuba but are flat-wafer shaped, so there's less of the fellatious look when drawing on them.

I don't like the C-Notes. They're loosely packed, feel like a marijuana joint in my lips and draw hot. I still have three of them in the little baggie they come in and I'm not sure when I'll get rid of them.

#19 PTAaron

PTAaron

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

I guess I don't know much about cigars - because I have enjoyed many of the different cigars Acid has to offer... especially like the 1400cc and the Kuba Deluxe. I tried a "Nasty" (red one) and thought it was "interesting" ... but I believe there was also a lot of Jack Daniels consumed that night so I may not be the best judge on that one.

Edited by PTAaron, 08 April 2010 - 11:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association