Sign in to follow this  
tayker

Deviolle La Charlotte

I've read the review on here. Blanche de Fougerolles is my most favorite absinthe of all. Is the La Charlotte the same as the verte that's not too good, is this a new recipe, is it close to my favorite but a verte? I have so many questions and don't want to waste the bones to find out.

Sidenote: Wow! Obsello is $45! I might get that too.

Vertes de Fougerolles is, in my view, a pretty good absinthe. And it's much better than La Charlotte.

The latter is rather too bitter, in my opinion. With a liberal application of sugar, and if one is in the mood, it is acceptable, but that's the best that can be said for it.

Obsello is a good choice, if not in the top tier. I would certainly buy it or VdF long before I got another bottle of La Charlotte.

I'd ask what makes you prefer the BdF to other absinthes you've tried. Do you prefer it to other blanches, say the Clandestine, for example? It might be that your taste is just in line with those at Devoille, and you may be right to try sampling their other products. They make quite a few, including several vertes and blanches of their own, as well as products made for other vendors, such as the ones they've made for Luc's Verte d"Absinthe, and the Maison du Pastis.

I agree the VdF is a good drink, it just got eclipsed by the Jades a few years ago and nobody talks about it anymore. I enjoy the subdued, vegetal flavor and the mild grassiness that's always described as a flaw.

I agree the VdF is a good drink, it just got eclipsed by the Jades a few years ago and nobody talks about it anymore.

Either you just called me a "Nobody", or you didn't read last night's posts on the "What Ya Drinking tonight?" thread.

VdF is my favorite commercial verte, and I'll talk anyone's ears off about it if they really want me to. :cheers:

La Charlotte, needs a lot of work before I buy another bottle. VdF has always been nice and sweet tasting to me, but La Charlotte was unpleasantly bitter.

Hmm, some VdF does sound good...maybe I'll indulge and have a glass of it tonight. :wave2:

such as the ones they've made for Luc's Verte d"Absinthe

Parisiennes (Luc's absinthes) are something else. They share with the VdF and BdF the excellente wine alcohol Devoielle uses, but there is definitely something more in my opinion.

That being said, BdF is a rather particular product in the Devoille range methinks.

Now, to be constructive, tayker, if you really want to try another Devoille, La Charlotte is not the way to go. They've done far better.

Libertine as its fans, but I, for one, would rather go for Soixante Cinq (they asked LSR to supervise it)

Tip : some Devoille are better when you let them warm a bit.

And VdF is definitely something, moreso if correctly oxygenated

I enjoy the subdued, vegetal flavor and the mild grassiness that's always described as a flaw.

I used to, but then Veronica and I had a major falling out.

I'd ask what makes you prefer the BdF to other absinthes you've tried. Do you prefer it to other blanches, say the Clandestine, for example?

I prefer BdF over other blanches I've tried because I like the underlying flavor and mouth feel it has. I can't recall all the ones I've tried, except for Blancette, Clandestine (and her green label sister), and Kübler.

Out of the vertes I like Amer, Lucid, Mansinthe, Obsello, Eich, and Duplais Verte (my favorite so far). I haven't tried VdF.

I guess I'll pass on the La Charlotte then. Thanks for the replies. :cheers:

I find La Charlotte to be a most delightful Verte for the price (only $30 ). Though much more bitter than most ( i like to taste the bitters of the wormwood) it requires a generous amount of sugar and not too much water to make it delicious to my taste. Not as good as many other much more expensive brands but really good to me for the price! ( actually i rather enjoy it even when price isnt factored in)

Grapes are a wonderful thing! If only all Absinthe distillers would stick to them rather than grain or worst of all in my opinion thus far, beet. (mostly because of the awful taste of La muse.)

Add me to the "once was blind, now can see" column. Vieux Carre helped make a believer out of me too.

Do still love me a good grape base, though...

:nono: now, now, I used to think like that till Marc and Cheryl straightened me out....

Please do straighten me out as well, as i am sure my biggest problem with the brands I do not like root from far more than the alcohol used, but i must addmit I am particulary fond of grape alcohol cause of my love for wine and the mysteries of grapes... drink up me hearty :pirate:

Indeed.

Pisco, anyone? :thumbup:

Of course, that base swill that Pernod Fils was fond of using wasn't half bad, either. :laugh:

Add me to the "once was blind, now can see" column. Vieux Carre helped make a believer out of me too.

I don't disagree that there are some very good absinthes that are not grape based but wish that there was more regulation ( for the snob in me). Most would not disagree that a traditional absinthe is a grape based alcohol with herbs would they not? Anywho there are good absinthes made with evey type of alcohol out there.

Well, I like most of the grape base absinthes I've tried, I like me a little variety every now and then. What I would like to see is someone doing something kind of like what Claude did, and do the same recipe exactly the same with different bases.

I hesitate to throw out root bases. I tried a very tasty HG once that had a lot of roots in it.

I'll admit it: for the price, La Charlotte ain't that bad. Kind of off-putting at first, but seemed to improve somewhat over time. Similar to La Muse in that respect. Besides, I tend to lean towards bitter. (Flavor AND demeanor!) :tongue:

For an everyday absinthe it wouldn't be too bad. The price makes it so.

I think it would be one of those that you could sip while doing other things like yard work or chores around the house. It's better than some things we've all had. I would use it as a filler for those times that you want absinthe but don't have the time to set and enjoy it.

I'll try it this weekend while working in the yard.

Tip : some Devoille are better when you let them warm a bit.

And VdF is definitely something, moreso if correctly oxygenated

Yes. I'm glad someone's already mentioned this!

I didn't really want to say anything before (being new and all), but I don't find the La Charlotte to be nearly as objectionable as the reviews on the main site would suggest. In fact, I kind of like it. Considering that I just tacked it on to one of my orders so that I would qualify for free shipping, I'm pretty happy with it.