Wayek

Preparing Preban?

It doesn't. But good stuff still has high overhead right now, and crappy stuff (that could sell and profit at $5 a bottle) have to keep up appearances so the general public doesn't know it's crap until they taste it. ;)

Anything done on the small scale that artisanal absinthe is being made at will tend to be pricey. Even Ted's absinthe's aren't being made on the scale of say Maker's Mark or Buffalo Trace or Beefeater. Plus, absinthes sold at 65-72% ABV are much more concentrated than say 40% whiskey (80 proof).

Considering that any of the American made quality absinthes when properly watered at 3-5:1 will equal 3 to 5 bottles of wine (by volume).

Around here, you can get Crane Lake wines for about $4.50 a bottle. So for under $25 you can get five bottles of wine, or pay $70+ for a bottle of absinthe, equivalent to five bottles of wine.

Hm, I guess you're right baubel!

:cheers:

Plus, absinthes sold at 65-72% ABV are much more concentrated than say 40% whiskey (80 proof).

I don't know about Bicardi 151, but I can get 750 ml of Everclear for $16.99, a bottle of Plymouth Gin for $28.99, and a bottle of absinthe for $70. At what time and speed would all three bottles intersect if thrown from three trains going opposite directions? Hehe! :cheers:

Anything done on the small scale that artisanal absinthe is being made at will tend to be pricey. Even Ted's absinthe's aren't being made on the scale of say Maker's Mark or Buffalo Trace or Beefeater. Plus, absinthes sold at 65-72% ABV are much more concentrated than say 40% whiskey (80 proof).

Considering that any of the American made quality absinthes when properly watered at 3-5:1 will equal 3 to 5 bottles of wine (by volume).

Around here, you can get Crane Lake wines for about $4.50 a bottle. So for under $25 you can get five bottles of wine, or pay $70+ for a bottle of absinthe, equivalent to five bottles of wine.

Hm, I guess you're right baubel!

:cheers:

Ahh yes, now I see the sense in that!

I don't know about Bicardi 151, but I can get 750 ml of Everclear for $16.99, a bottle of Plymouth Gin for $28.99, and a bottle of absinthe for $70. At what time and speed would all three bottles intersect if thrown from three trains going opposite directions? Hehe! :cheers:

HA HAAA!!!!! :laugh:

I don't know about Bicardi 151, but I can get 750 ml of Everclear for $16.99, a bottle of Plymouth Gin for $28.99, and a bottle of absinthe for $70. At what time and speed would all three bottles intersect if thrown from three trains going opposite directions? Hehe!

(In a snooty tone) We shan't throw good booze from trains thank you very much. HA!!!

Prepare pre-ban with a light and delicate hand. Watch, taste and be amazed. Enjoy with friends.

*smile*

One question I have to ask, and this is along the metaphysical line: When you drink pre-ban, do you feel in touch with the energies that prevailed back when the absinthe was created?

Definitely. It's like drinking the akashic records.

This is one of the things that attracted me to absinthe in the first place. I'm an anachronist by nature and that has informed practically every passionate interest I've ever had, from my spirituality, through fine woodworking, to recreating ancient incense and perfume formulas and now absinthe. That's what inspired the Marteau tag line: "Tastes Like History."

Also, have a look at Retrogarde's Time Travel Experiment.

Every time I drink water, I feel the primordial sea before life ventured forth on land...

Thanks for putting it in perspective Mr. Buzzkill. ;)

Good example. Now let's do the math on five bottles of mid-range or higher wines.

When you break it down, even the best absinthes cost under $3.25 a drink.

... sample of Absenta Aregenti that should be arriving sometime in the next week thanks to Mr. Oxy David Nathan Maister and am getting quite eager to try it!

I just had the Absenta Argenti 1960 over the weekend. Incredible. Smooth, crafted, wormwoody... absolutely delicious. I had it at around 3:1 with cold, but not ice-cold water; no sugar needed.

Have you had yours yet?

For me, the rule no. 1 concerning pre-ban is not to be too concerned about "getting it right". That will make me start worrying all too much about whether this or that is the right glass/day/moment/moon phase/weather/whatever, and I will be incapable of simply enjoying that damn nice glass o' booze. I've had pre-ban out of a plastic cup after a round of tequila slammers, and I enjoyed every last drop of it.

I've also seen pre-ban spilled on the floor from a plastic cup. That may be one step too casual.

:laf: It's true!

Every time I drink water, I feel the primordial sea before life ventured forth on land...

Thanks for putting it in perspective Mr. Buzzkill. ;)

:laf:

However did I miss that quote the first time 'round?

For me, the rule no. 1 concerning pre-ban is not to be too concerned about "getting it right". That will make me start worrying all too much about whether this or that is the right glass/day/moment/moon phase/weather/whatever, and I will be incapable of simply enjoying that damn nice glass o' booze. I've had pre-ban out of a plastic cup after a round of tequila slammers, and I enjoyed every last drop of it.

I've also seen pre-ban spilled on the floor from a plastic cup. That may be one step too casual.

Too casual.

I tried finding a photo of Paul in the burger joint near the end of the film...

Well, hopefully it happens! I havent been to check the mail over at the other place for the last 2-3 days so it might be in already...however absintheclassics.com has been catching heat for shipping to Canada so we will see how this pans out...

(tough crowd, tough crowd)