On the whole La Fée NV thing, I guess sooner or later someone would make an anisette style drink that tried to link itself to absinthe. And why not? People have varying taste. Like my brother who likes Coors light, ketchup only on his cheeseburger and *shudder* Transformers 2. Of the absinthe I've had him try he likes the simpler, lighter ones. So why not open the market for those people who don't like complexity. Not saying I would try this but it has it's place.

this discussion reminds me a little about what I've heard about Llama breeding in the US.

When they first arrived, llamas fetched top dollar, but there was not a very strong breeding association or breed standards, etc.. Eventually all kinds of substandard llama were imported, bred into the market, and the prices went down. (not sure how you tell a llama is substandard, but that is what I've heard).

When alpacas came around, they had learned these lessons and ensured that the alpaca breeding was better controlled and bloodlines more documented.

The point being not so much that it is a good thing to ensure that you can spend $25K on an alpaca, but if you do happen to do so, you should get an alpaca that is worth that and will retain that worth.

So, it behooves the WS to warn as Monty Python warned, "Cuidado! Esta es llamas!" when the situation calls for it.

how was that for a non-sequitir?

Maybe more of a sequitir, there are clearly really good absinthes, but not everyone can afford those. The idea of Lucid 750ml or Kübler 1000ml as a $50-60 "starter" absinthe is still a hefty pricetag, especially when compared to other popular brand spirits. Absente still appears on shelves alongside the real stuff, and there was talk about it incorporating A.A..

I preferred the taste of Absente to Pernod aux plaids en boeuf, although it pales (as much as it's artificial coloring will allow) in comparison to either Lucid or Kübler and certainly to anything like Leopold Bros or Marteau AdbE.

However, I'd have to say that even Absente seems to have "the general idea" of absinthe right, anise and wormwood flavoring sufficiently represented. Maybe as a "starter absinthe", with A. A., not too bad.

[edit] i mention Absente and Pernod des paints l'industrielle because it seems like the purveyors of Pernod would be the ones most likely to reap the benefits of economy of scale, and to drop their price.

Their latest Press release.

"Now changing the face of the absinthe category across Europe, Asia and the USA with NV Absinthe Verte the first Premium Mainstream Absinthe - a spirit for everybody ... NV Absinthe Verte by La Fee is to absinthe what JD is to whisk(e)y and what Bacardi is to rum, at an RRP of US$21.99 / 750ml ... a giant leap forward for the category into mainstream spirits, with affordability at no compromise to quality from The House of La Fee ... From a stable whose provenance, authenticity and quality are second to none, comes a contemporary absinthe for today's market - NV: The True Spirit of Absinthe for the People... "

I was expecting this to show up somewhere in the US by now: has anyone seen it?

Thanks.

They returned 'The Green Fairy' with La Fee - the first traditional absinthe to be distilled in France since the 1915 ban.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original La Fee an oil mix?

Thanks.

They returned 'The Green Fairy' with La Fee - the first traditional absinthe to be distilled in France since the 1915 ban.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original La Fee an oil mix?

Yes

For some reason, I seem to recall someone in the upper Mid-West seeing it.

I had high hopes but no. Ohio has even fewer brands approved now that we used to. Gone are the La Fee's, Pernod, and Kübler! The November list has only these: Lucid, Mata Hari, Grande Absente, and Absente Liqueur.

a giant leap forward for the category into mainstream spirits, with affordability at no compromise to quality from The House of La Fee

Define quality. Define "mainstream".

The WS reviewers of La Fee (US version) have rated that product at 2.5. Does this mean that they are able to produce the same product at lower cost? Or are they trying to imply or say that they have improved the quality and provided it at lower cost? Not necessarily.

Replace "The House of La Fee" with any other producer and the meaning is unchanged. You could even change it to promote the latest gazillion gigahertz laptop from whatever PC manufacturer you know.

It could be this is a great product; I'm just commenting on the notion of marketing in general.

I was expecting this to show up somewhere in the US by now: has anyone seen it?

We have it here, which boggles my mind. I think it came in with Swine Flu.

It really pissed me off when I saw it too, because we got Lucid, Kübler, and St. George fairly quickly after all three of them came out...and then nothing for a long time. We finally got something new and it ended up being that swill.

As an absinthe producer it really makes me want to cry when I read the advertising and product descriptions on many of the bottles masquerading as "absinthe."

I really wish the TTB would define absinthe somewhat along the lines they have done for gin.