Scotteh

Hi from WI

Hello Wormwood Society Forums!

My name is Scott, I’m from Wisconsin, and I have been lurking around the forums for a while trying to get educated on absinthe. I am originally from a small town, and I am now a student in the School of Pharmacy at UW-Madison.

I was first introduced to absinthe via Robert Hess’ show The Cocktail Spirit on Small Screen Network. After turning 21 in March, I began searching for “my drink,” and his show was my first introduction to mixology and spirits in general. Coming from Wisconsin, large majorities of people drink beer…often… which I enjoy, but I was looking for something different to sip on.

After a stint with bourbon whiskey, and after doing some absinthe related Google-ing, I happened upon this great website and learned a great deal from it's content. Fortunately, I had a proper introduction to absinthe history and service from Robert Hess and Jamie Boudreau in their videos, so I avoided any misinformation from other sites about thujone and preparation (ie fire :thumbdown: ).

My first sip of absinthe was last week, after I bought a bottle of Lucid. I had been searching my local liquor stores to scope out their absinthe selection, but Kübler and Lucid predominated. I eventually ran across the Lucid gift set for $50 on a home town visit, and decided that I had to pick it up because I couldn’t find the bottle itself for under $57. I already had two Lucid etched Pontarlier glasses that I found for $1 each at a local grocery store about a month ago ( :yahoo: pure luck), so now I have four glasses….and only one spoon. Anyways, on to the tasting!

Upon opening the bottle I enjoyed the aroma of anise. I let the bottle breathe for about 20 minutes before pouring a glass. The louch was very fun to watch after reading about it for quite some time, and I was instantly hooked on the absinthe ritual. I have found that I enjoy my Lucid most between 3.5 and 4:1 with sugar. I find Lucid to be quite tasty, and a very relaxing drink. The spiciness in the finish is very interesting, and I think I can now differentiate some of the herbs. Knowing that there are some mixed reviews on Lucid, I am very excited to get something higher rated and compare them. I am thinking of ordering Obsello and Vieux Carre from DUNY after my Lucid is more than halfway gone (comes out just over $100 for free shipping). Otherwise, I may have my friend in NYC try and find a bottle of MoL or WW to bring back to me.

So after all that, I just want to say thank you to everyone on this site! I look forward to posting here and continuing my absinthe experience. Most importantly, I believe that I have finally found my drink! :cheers:

-Scott

Hi everyone! It's very nice to hear from all of you so quickly! Are there any other members in Wisconsin?

As far as Mansinthe, I have not seen any yet, and I've been to quite a few stores. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it on the shelves though.

Hi everyone! It's very nice to hear from all of you so quickly! Are there any other members in Wisconsin?
Hello and welcome! I lived in Wisconsin for ten years before moving to England. (Janesville, Wisconsin that is...)

Cheers! :cheers:

As far as Mansinthe, I have not seen any yet, and I've been to quite a few stores. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it on the shelves though.

Dixie's Clubhouse

5015 Greenville Drive

(the old Hwy 76)

Grand Chute, WI

Greetings, Scott! Obsello and VC are both very good choices, IMO. Mansinthe isn't bad either, if you get a chance to try it. :cheers:

Hi Scott. Welcome to the forums! :cheers:

Here's a great source for the Mansinthe, Vieux Pontarlier, and Duplais Verte that DUNY holds currently out of stock. Prices, delivered, are comparable, as long as you order two bottles or more. And, they ship to WI.

Welcome to the WS, Scott! :wave2:

Your intro made it sound like you hadn't seen Meadow of Love or Walton Waters at DUNY, so just fyi, they carry both (and I very highly recommend you get a bottle of each!).

Hello all! Glad to hear from some fellow Wisconsinites!

@absinthehour - That sounds like a long move, all the way to the UK from WI. I really want to visit England someday, do you miss the badger state?

@pierreverte - I googled Dixie's Clubhouse in Grand Chute WI but the site dixiesclubhouse.com seems to be down. I did figure out that it is a restaurant/bar though! Do you own it? Do you serve absinthe? :twitchsmile:

@fingerpickinblue - Thanks for the recommendation, I will keep that site in mind when it comes to ordering whatever I try next.

@Jay - I did see MoL and WW on DUNY, but I'm afraid that I need to keep my order very close to $100, but I want free shipping. Possibly I could go with WW+Obsello, that would be $115ish. Decisions....

Unfortunetly, for now I cannot order anything as I spent all my money on dress clothes for school and volunteering. At leat I'll look nice though right? :thumbup:

>@pierreverte - I googled Dixie's Clubhouse in Grand Chute WI but the site dixiesclubhouse.com seems to be down. I did figure out that it is a restaurant/bar though! Do you own it?

No, I don't get the Wisconsin that often anymore. Just Googled it myself...

>Do you serve absinthe?

To my guests, yes