Joe Legate

The Absinthe Foodie Project

A new project? Yep!

Consider an Absinthe Foodie Book filled with recipes that use absinthe or a recipe that pairs well with absinthe. Maybe even, what's your favorite dish after a glass or two of absinthe?

I have drafted the original Verona Gentleman, Mat Bocian to head-up this project and I have empowered him to select a small committee to bring this thing to life. Anyone want to give this guy a hand? PM Mat if you'd like to be actively involved on the committee. If you're too busy to help with the committee, consider submitting your favorite culinary masterpiece. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! (I'm sending my Roast Red Pepper Cannoli recipe!)

I know Mat will also be very responsive to helpful suggestions, too. Don't be shy; Help the guy out!

Mat, make sure you raid the Cookbook forum for absinthe inspired recipes! I'm going to do some experimenting, but I'm betting I can make a pretty good marinade for chicken or fish with absinthe. I've been ruminating on the idea of louching a glass before using it in the kitchen. It's hard to get around the punch that unadulterated absinthe offers straight out of the bottle.

Frozen watermelon slices; squeeze a couple of limes all over them and drizzle a few drops of Leoplod Bros on it right before eating.The day was pretty damn hot(103 F)and I had so many my teeth hurt the next morning. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

La Coquette would probably work as well but Leopold's hit the nail on the head.

I'll have to think of something to help "flesh" it out for veggies like myself. Joe, was that cannoli thingy meat free? Sounds great!

It is indeed, meat-free. I usually serve it as a side with Chicken (or Eggplant) Parmesan.

Are folks lining up to help Mat? Any committee members, yet?

(And on that note, how are the music and calendar projects going?)

Frozen watermelon slices; squeeze a couple of limes all over them and drizzle a few drops of Leoplod Bros on it right before eating.The day was pretty damn hot(103 F)and I had so many my teeth hurt the next morning. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

La Coquette would probably work as well but Leopold's hit the nail on the head.

Scrape that frozen watermelon and have yourself a beautiful sorbet..... :thumbup:

><snip><

Are folks lining up to help Mat? Any committee members, yet?

Not too savvy on this one, but if there's anything I can do to help, give me a shout Mat.

(and on a lesser note how about that pamphlet? Don't get me wrong I Am total stoked for the aforementioned projects, in fact, the music project inspired me to pick up my guitar again after a much too long hiatus.)

The music project is chugging along, but we could still use some more submissions, so if any of you has a musical bone to pick a guitar or other instrument with (or want to fake it for the day), please PM our fearless leader peridot (or myself if you're reading this post and feel too lazy to look up his profile).

Whoa. Excellent idea!

I'll be eating them...

+1. Can't think of anything at the moment, though I'll work on it.

Bippity..Boppity..BACON!

If someone could infuse Bacon and absinthe… I’d be all ears! (or mouths)

Our first official committee member is Attack Accountant! Welcome aboard AA! I am thinking three folks (including myself) would make a good small group to get this off the ground. Joe and I have been tossing the idea around for a while now and I’ve been doing some research into the production in a Café Press style format. I’m pretty excited about this one, and as I’ll be starting 15 credits of Graduate work in three weeks I’m glad to have AA on board as well as any other folks who want to be actively or passively involved!

Joe: Calendar submissions are still ongoing. Committee is awaiting them, and though I haven’t checked the email in a few weeks the last I did we hadn’t received any yet. I hope this is due to the overwhelming number of photos out there that people are sifting through in attempts to decide on their three to submit ;)

I’ll keep you all posted and bump as soon as we get the criteria established for submissions (I’m thinking there will be very few criteria as well, we all love food and absinthe).

Once again, as a humble WS servant I am just glad to help out. You folks really are the tops!

Edit: I'd also like to welcome Mike R. to the Foodie Committee! That makes three; so unless anyone else out there is really itching to go I'd say we have our committee. Thoughts?

Just a bump: We’re in the process of laying out how recipes will be added to the cookbook (our thoughts are the more the merrier) and we should have submission requirements (or lack thereof) shortly!

We’ve pondered a special recipe category for foods with absinthe as ingredients. Aside from the traditional food and meal categories of side dishes, pastas, meat dishes, etc. how does this make you all feel?

Bryan used to have a recipe on the Obsello website for an absinthe sauce over ice cream. I think it was simple enough, something like absinthe in a pan over low heat, add sugar and reduce until proper consistency.

Heheh. I love the idea of an absinthe crème brulè, though those are supposed to be lit on fire! I have yet to try this sauce, but I am intrigued. :)