Raymond

Two vodka questions

I like vodka, usually in mixed drinks, and I have been seeing some products online that I am not familiar with, so I thought I would ask here.

1. Cannabis vodka - a vodka with cannabis seeds in the bottom of the bottle. Does it really make any difference and is it even legal to sell in the US? Has anyone tried it and is it worth getting?

2. Crystal Head Vodka - a brand I had not previously heard of, but I want to get one just for the bottle, if nothing else. It actually looks like a crystal skull. I just wonder if the actual vodka is any good or just lighter fluid.

1. Well, it seems like the marketing gimmicks still work ;)

2. It's not bad. But vodka normally doesn't bring anything to the table, other than alcohol. CH has as much character as any other 5/10/1000000 times distilled vodka does, which is to say very little.

3. If ask about AGWA, I'll find some way to slap you through the computer. :twitchsmile:

I'm a fan of the voddy, too. However, unless you are going to sip it straight, ice cold, my suggestion is to buy what is in the lower price range or what is on sale. Many vodkas are delivered to the distillery in a tank that is then hooked up directly to the bottling apparatus. If you like the Crystal head bottle, buy it for that.

Seen the bottle in person. It ain't all that.

Me too at my local liquor store. Had a big seam right down the center of the skull from the molding process. Looks real cheap. Not worth the $50. :thumbdown:

I saw some at the store last night, and was surprised to see it. I mentioned my surprise to the cashier and he said it wasn't that different from mid-range vodkas. Then a coworker of his walked by and said "You're buying it for the bottle." They had one out of the box behind the counter, for customers to see from a distance, so I didn't see the seam.

I was interested in vodka for a little while, but I've slowly sipped/slipped away from it.

As far as I can tell, the higher the quality of vodka, the less taste it has. Therefore one could theorize that the best vodka wouldn't taste like much of anything at all. Who would want to pay a lot for nothing?

There are a ton of mid-range vodkas out there, I usually keep a bottle on hand just for mixed drinks that don't fit with any other flavor profile, or if I don't want to waste good gin/whiskey on it, for instance if I were spiking a soft drink or energy drink.

The resurgence of premium vodka goes to the heart of a common taste, that being that many people don't want to taste the booze in their cocktail. For them, it's worth the price. For those of us who enjoy the taste of different booze, and are very particular about it, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I have nothing against premium vodkas, I'm sure they are well made and carefully crafted with very pure ingredients. But from an enjoyment standpoint, to me it seems like trying to create a water color painting with only water and no paint. You still get the paper wet, you may get some water marks, but it can never be a masterpiece.

Thank you for the input. I was just wondering. I normally only use vodka to mix with, because I do like the large variety of creamy and chocolate flavored drinks that are made with it. If these two brands are no great shakes, I will just stick with my Tanqueray's or Grey Goose. I don't see the point in paying more than $20 for it.

I'll stick with smirnoff silver label. It's inexpensive and it works. It's clean and easily mixed. BUT, I haven't bought any in several years.

Hmmmmm, wonder why?

Dammit!!! Back to the liquor store tomorrow.

I think there's more variation in high quality vodkas than some people might notice, but I'm beginning to realize I just don't care. I use Fris for mixing and other than not at all liking Smirnoff Twist or any Finlandia, that's about the end of it.

These days, if my tastes are running toward a vodka drink, I'll use Fris or Quintessential gin -- the premium vodka of premium gins. Seriously, if you're trying to switch a vodka martini drinker to gin, ease him over with Q.

Allow me to rephrase. If you want to wean someone off the bizarre custom of shaking cold vodka with ice and serving it in a martini glass and calling it a vodka martini, introduce them to Quintessential. Eventually they may make the leap to aromatic gins and vermouth, perhaps, after much hand-holding, a dash or 2 of Regan's orange bitters.

I didn't like Finlandia either. Fortunately, I only bought an airplane bottle of it.

As for martinis, I prefer the Chocolate Martini. It is basically vodka and Godiva.

I also like a good gin, and will have to try out this Q you speak of.

As for martinis, I prefer the Chocolate Martini.

That's not a Martini. A Martini is a specific cocktail made with gin and vermouth. There's an unfortunate tendency these days to substitute the word "martini" as a generic term for a "mixed drink."

Look back through the old threads. It's almost as intense as the Sugar Wars.

Some victims lost eyes and/or limbs. Some are permanently scarred with deeper yet less obvious wounds. Some are gone forever.

Just accept that a Martini (that delicious gin, vermouth and bitters combination) is served in a cocktail glass. Really, it's for the best.

What is the law? SPILL NO BLOOD!

Don't know about the Czech stuff, but if you want this concoction at the restaurant where I order it, it is listed as a Chocolate Martini. It even comes in a cocktail glass with powdered cocoa around the rim. I notice that in most of the restaurants and bars in the area, nearly everything with vodka in it is called a martini of some sort.

Don't know about the Czech stuff, but if you want this concoction at the restaurant where I order it, it is listed as a Chocolate Martini.

I could open a restaurant tomorrow and create a cocktail list that included a cocktail that was made up of Rum, some coke, and a lime. I could call it a Margarita. But it still wouldn't be one. ;)

The use of the term Martini is just a bastardization of the word, in an effort to mark the work as synonymous with the word cocktail.

Raymond, what we have here at the WS is a group of cocktail enthusiasts who celebrate the art and enjoyment of such beverage. Anything that has attached "-tini" to the end of its name (obviously) ruffles feathers. Don't feel bad. I used to think the same way but I have since been enlightened. HALLELUJAH! I have seen the light! Pass me the tambourine...

If you haven't already, visit DrinkBoy's website and cruise around a bit. It's very informative. And yes, he does include cocktails with vodka.

It's a very user friendly site and I can find cocktails with just a few clicks of the mouse. I reckon the cocktail glass is synonomous with martini. So, with that, anything in a cocktail glass becomes a *******tini.

I may still drink wine through a straw just to watch the purists cringe. *devil grin*

I really enjoy properly prepared cocktails. I just struggle with making the damn things. A learning curve is what I'm on.

Enjoy your cocktails, Cheers!

Someone I met a few weekends ago told me she tired a "Chocolate Martini". She looked rather disappointed and said the only thing about it that even resembled a martini was the glass it was served in.

I've never tried juniper and chocolate. Maybe there's some tastiness in there.

Thanks for the site link. I'll look it over. As for the martini, I was just saying that's what they call them. If you want the girl to bring you the right drink, you have to tell her according to what is on the menu. I get in the habit of calling it the same way because I have not seen a vodka and Godiva cocktail anywhere else.

Baubel, she shouldn't have expected it to resemble a real martini, it had "chocolate" in the title. The one I get is nearly black from the Godiva and it has that strong taste. Also, everything I see in public that is called a martini has vodka in it instead of gin. Maybe that's something 007 started. "Give me a vodka martini, shaken, not stirred."

007? Would anyone really want to drink something that comes out of a rehashed spy franchise that never ends?

I often don't expect things to really be what their named after.