So this time I would like to hear from the distiller that grows their wormwood themselves ... so what are the condition to get perfect and flavor full wormwood ... I did several experiement with soil : sand and poting earth ... the one in sand grow smaller but the leaves are greyish and the smells is better

I would like to hear some about this as well. I wonder what effects it would have in an herbal tea blend. Outside of alcohol, hot tea is my drink of choice.

Only a masochist would willingly drink Artemisia tea.

Seriously...my herbal doctor had me drinking it at one time, I can't remember why now, could have been to boost my immune system...but it was god-awful, I could barely stomach it.

I am not a fan of bitter tastes though. :dead:

I'm with the Gypsy on Wormwood Tea.

I'm fortunate to live in an area where wormwood thrives. It's not just about the soil but water, sunshine, elevation, and a host of other things. I'm ass-deep in a half a dozen experiments, trying to discover some of the answers to EdouardPerneau's questions. I wouldn't pretend to know the answers yet but like you, I've noticed that some plants that struggle may be smaller but have a more intense flavor and aroma. An apparently very healthy and vibrant plant could develop off-flavors or as a dear friend describes "camphor." Then, to add even more to the mix, when the plants are harvested and at what stage at their development will also impact the flavor and aroma.

Check back in a few years and I might have more answers than questions.

Well, I happen to be a masochist, but I would still only try it mixed into some other strong flavored tea, like a chai or something. Cream and sugar would also help.

Cream and sugar would also help.

No it wouldn't. Absinthium insanely bitter. Just a pinch could ruin a pot of tea. After all that, you get nothing for your trouble because of the small amount. As far as effects? Emetic, vermifuge, tonic, appetite stimulant, emmenagogue. It won't get you high.

Wormwood does have a lot of medicinal benefits...but is it really worth the suffering?

Wormwood Herbal Info

I have written this site (a couple months ago) asking them to update their blurb about Absinthe, maybe a few more letters will get them on the ball.

That website is so screwed up, I think it's beyond hope. What a wealth of misinformation!

Absinthe, a spirit drink made with aromatics including fennel seed, star anise and crushed wormwood leaves. This drink has green color but turns white when you add some water, is derived from wormwood. It was very popular in France as well as in the United States in the 19th century, but is banned now. The addictive drink was flavored with oil extracted from wormwood and contained thujone, a toxic substance, and hence overindulgence with it may prove to be lethal.

yep, as far as medicinal herbal info it is ok, but that bit about absinthe ticked me off. I wrote them, giving them the correct info, but to no avail.

Our Wormwood stripping parties rarely get repeat visitors.

I believe 2 or 3 hours of stripping leaves and flowers from wormwood stalks cures them of worms forever. No need to return for a second treatment.

Frequently. It doesn't help. Within 5 minutes, everyone has the bitterness of wormwood in their mouth and in their nose. Nothing can resist it.

Having drunk various forms of bad military coffee, and then working for a gourmet coffee company for 4 years, bitterness doesn't really bother me that much. I've nibbled chunks of both high and low quality wormwood to get a sense of the different flavor elements and been fine. However, I think the full on harvest scenario Joe presented might be a challenge for even me!*

This tea talk makes me wonder if petite wormwood might be nice in tea. I love the aroma and taste of raw fresh pontica, and of course, as part of a well made verte. Maybe it would go well in a green tea, mint, and chamomile blend? Just speculating.

*Oh yeah- forgot about some infamous brown prototypes that were...definitely challenging!

I seriously need to start growing some of these constituent herbs if only to train my nose and palate. I think I've got things at about a 40% level of appreciate at this point and I'm kind of disappointed in myself that I haven't persued it further.

Once I get into a new place where I can set up a garden, it's on.

If anyone would like to experience the pleasure of wormwood stripping first hand, we should be ready to start processing this year's crop in two or three weeks.

Just a friendly offer.

Having the plants and herbs to nibble on actually does help quite a bit. I've had some generous members mail different herbs and so forth to me. It's quite eye opening.

A degustation kit would be nice as well.

I know Markus was offering those for a while, but I never bit. There's an organic shop / hippy shop nearby that sells every herb under the sun, so that might be a place to start. If I were to get a couple bags of this and that, stick my snoot in them and have a sip, I'm sure it would be a step in the right direction.

As for helping out on the Ridge, that'd be incredible for sure. Alas, I'm all tapped out of time and seriously watching my cash considering I've begun house hunting. It's time to get the hell out of Lemoyne.

Someone up at the Ridge suggested a small stripping party during Green week, and although I was interested, I didn't have any small Bills. ;)

Someone else said you taste nothing but wormwood for a week after, which is kind of what happened anyway. ;)

Another person suggested a small weeding party after dinner one night, since it had recently rained, and I was interested in taking them up on that offer as well, but it too faded like the clouds above us. Maybe next time I'm up there I'll be able to help out with the farming. :cheers:

I wouldn't pretend to know the answers yet but like you, I've noticed that some plants that struggle may be smaller but have a more intense flavor and aroma.

Fascinating stuff, and analogous to the second-hand info I've picked up from my brother about wineries' vines.

The Cape's got some sandy, acidic soil. I should go talk to my local herbalist. :)

Well, I know it doesn't grow in Southern California when birds eat all your sprouts :angry:

However it thrives if the sprouts escape the birds. However, the aphids are feasting now...as are the ladybugs. I hacked the stalks down before they went to seed and they're returning with a vengeance. I'm hoping the aphids don't do the same.

Another person suggested a small weeding party after dinner one night, since it had recently rained, and I was interested in taking them up on that offer as well, but it too faded like the clouds above us. Maybe next time I'm up there I'll be able to help out with the farming. :cheers:

I'm going to harvest my front yard this weekend if my cold abates. Ya know, the ones we used for mosquito control experiments. I hope to take a pic first because the weed is almost as tall as I am. You're welcome to come help. :wave2:

Yup. I remember being eaten partially alive with all the wormwood around. With all the wormwoody alcohol I had in my bloodstream that night, it's not wonder they kept coming back.

If Kallispell was an 8 hour drive from here, you'd all be sick of me by now. :twitchsmile:

I hope you recover from that cold here pretty soon.

Someone else said you taste nothing but wormwood for a week

I don't know about a week , but after a small harvest, I tasted wormwood on my lips for the rest of the afternoon!