Sign in to follow this  
Mike R.

Spoons or Brouilleur?

I just recieved 2 Brouilleur from KegWorks and was wondering others preferences for mixing.

Spoons or Brouilleur?

I plan on ordering a few spoons to have on hand as well for those that prefer that method. The Brouilleur looked like a nice way to dilute.

These Brouilleur are of failry thick glass, with a very small hole drilled through a flat ground bottom instead of the funnel tip I have seen on others. I thought that would avoid the potential of breaking the tip.

My only complaint, if you could call it, that is that the top edges of the glass are not polished down, this would have been a nice tactile touch for the handler.

In any case, thanks in advance for the replies.

Mike R.

The two have different responsibilities.

I don't sugar, so I don't really have need of spoons, other than for other people and collecting.

Brouilleurs are nice, but tend to have a stronger stream than what I normally prefer, so when I use them, I try to find a way to plug the hole a little, like with a marble or something similar. I normally use my cheapo fountain to prepare, since it's quick to set up, clean and break down, as opposed to my lady fountain.

Spoons or Brouilleur?

I rarely use either one. I have a couple very simple and easy to care for fountains that I prefer. I don't use sugar but I keep spoons and brouilleurs on hand for those that prefer them.

That's just me. <shrug>

Well, much in line with my reply to the cubes vs syrup thread, it depends on the occasion. I enjoy the whole ritual of the water dripping from the fountain onto the sugar cube on the spoon, etc., especially in the company other enthusiasts. That's a big part of the absinthe experience. A brouilleur allows for easier transport and is therefore much more portable than a fountain. I should point out that the only real purpose for a spoon is to hold a sugar cube in a stream of water followed by mixing your drink if the sugar is not fully dissolved. If you prefer your absinthe unsweetened then you can dispense with a spoon or grille entirely. If you prefer your absinthe sweetened and you want to use a brouilleur, note that cubes tend to clog the hole as they fall apart into granules. With the auto versuer, the original instructions say to drop your cube into the goblet of the brouilleur then add water. Well, that caused chronic clogging problems. The solution was to use simple syrup with the brouilleur.

I generally use a brouilleur (packed with crushed ice and no sugar at all) when I prepare an absinthe. However, I prefer spoons because they look cool and are so much easier to spell.