Sign in to follow this  
1SubSailor

My Fountain is on the way!!

Okay, this is killing me. I've always figured I'd rather use my perfectly nice glass absinthe fountain with it's little Sanrio™ plastic spigots, and spend my absinthe money on absinthe. But you guys are making me really jealous with these pictures.

The price is really not bad, given what you can buy for $200.00 these days. And, properly cared for, they could become the next generation's collectibles. Kind of like the Royer-Hutin pyrogenes from the 70s that are selling for big money now to people who know they're repros.

I've thought about that "Lady" fountain, that was shown in one tantalizing prototype auctioned on ebay last month. It was undeniably kewl. But it was also kind of obviously a trophy or something repurposed to hold the fountain base, and as near as I could tell, it was only attached on two points, directly opposite each other. I could see it starting to lean. Maybe that's just the psuedo-engineer in me trying to talk me out of buying that gorgeous fountain...

No smell, and yes, it's the #2.

One of the leaks is from the spigot, and I probably can fix it with the emery paper and ice cream machine lube. The other leak is from where the tube is first exiting from the base of the fountain towards the spigot. It appears that the job of adhering it to the base (through the drilled hole) is very shoddy. I'll probably just fix it myself with some JBWeld.

Oh, and the internal filter thingy won't come out of the top of the glass container after it's unscrewed.

Zman,

If I was you I wouldn't use JBWeld on that, since you are able to remove the glass jar from the base a Jewler will be able to braze that tube on correctly for you and while he's at it might as well have him touch up the other three tubes too. I took mine to a Jewler and he said it could be easily fixed but my glass jar was epoxied to the base and this prevented him from fixing it.

I guess I'll stick to my #1 fountain. If I'm going to get another at some point, it could be one of these, made and sold in Val-de-Travers:

ceramic3mu.jpg

greenimp,

Well I got the only one that is because even Phil seemed baffled that mine was epoxied, but it is and it ain't coming off easily either!

Gertz,

Holy Crap man, those are cool. What price range are those babies in?

Gertz,

Holy Crap man, those are cool.  What price range are those babies in?

The pitchers were around 40 euro; I didn't dare to look for the price of the fountains.

You'll have to go to Switzerland to get one. And find out how to get it back home.

Well I got the only one that is because even Phil seemed baffled that mine was epoxied

Your grandchildren will make a fortune, when they sell it on eBay one day.

I see the pitchers, the fountains, but tell me more about the tall, slender objects with the green "hats"... Are they just decorative or in some way functional?

Years ago, Muse Verte Pastis made a funky looking little green ceramic fountain, I remember when a bunch of people were looking for them during the dark years of no reproductions.

Ah the old days of stainless steel Pernod spoons, and feeling lucky to have a crappy bottle of Deva, look at us now.

tell me more about the tall, slender objects with the green "hats"... Are they just decorative or in some way functional?

I have no idea, except that they look like stylized versions of the Val-de-Travers fairy that is on every tourist brochures and even on the local trains.

So, ya'll really like those fountains, huh?

Not to dis' the craftmanship, but compared to the delicate glass fountains, these look like burial urns...

Actually, yes. OK, so they are not delicate glass, but I like my kitchenware a bit rough'n'tough'n'medieval. Burial urns? That comparison is not dissing in my book. Hey, I could even be buried in one, when my time's up. Burnt Gertz.

Subsailor you’re killing me. I love your enthusiasm.

Yeah, I have a tendency to get excited. I dive right in, All Ahead Full!! Actually I'm getting like that right now as I can't wait to louche one up this weekend! So when you coming to Texas Oscar??? :drunk:

Submerge the ship. Diving officer, make your depth 600 feet, helm come right steer course 275........easy there Wild Bill, I can snap back to the good ole days mighty quick!

Might be more interesting than "Talk like a systems analyst day"

Stroller, I dig the new avatar.

My apologies to the systems analysts out there..

They do. They try to play with Stroller but he's just interested in sleeping. This time of year he's camped out in front of the fireplace waiting for someone to light it.

Once in awhile he gets out in the back yard and runs around with the dogs. It's funny to watch.