leighbie87

Absinthe Ignorance

Is anyone else fed up with other peoples' mis-information and ignorance with the topic of absinthe??

I had someone on an eBay discussion forum claiming absinthe was a "controlled substance" and that I smuggled it in...and other people (even my own BF) swears up and down that it causes hallucinations....

It frustrates the crap out of me because they base this on nothing...just from what they heard and they don't care how much you research it and how much more self-educated about the topic you are than they are...They think they are right... GRRRRR! They sure would get a disappointing surprise that they won't get "high" and see green fairies when they actually try the stuff...and I'd like to be there and say, "I told you so!".

My little rant...:) Sorry, I feel better now! :twitchsmile:

Hear hear! :cheers: You mean to say that Tinkerbell and these other sprites are just a figment of my own screwed up imagination and not caused by the absinthe? I'd bet that delirium tremens can be fun :twitchsmile: I wouldn't put it past 'em to try & sell that in a bottle next!

Welcome leighbie87 :wave2:

Just so you know, there's also a "What pissed you off today?" thread. Feel free to rant there.

Is anyone else fed up with other peoples' mis-information and ignorance with the topic of absinthe??

Somebody should start a grassroots educational organization!

No, really, it could work. It could have an online discussion forum, and do personal outreach to the media, retailers and consumers.

;)

btw, you need a new bf. This one's a dumbass.

Gwydion let's not be rash here, this relationship can still be saved with some...tough love ;) :

NightStick.gif

I think we're all rooting on the Absinthe Mafia to expand. They have the advantage of living in the country that promotes most of these misconceptions. I told Martin once they get bigger they need to organize a march for genuine absinthe!

It frustrates the crap out of me because they base this on nothing...just from what they heard and they don't care how much you research it and how much more self-educated about the topic you are than they are...They think they are right...

I hate to sound cynical (who, me?) but that sort of thing seems to be true whatever the subject. Especially religion, politics (oops) etc. :devil:

...:) My Bf just thinks he's soooo smart.. But whatever...I guess I can handle it. I'll have to try the ranting on that other board next time I rant :D

Your BF just needs to be approached in a different way about the drink. He's just misinformed and there are folks that could explain things about this drink in more fun/educational ways than I ever could.

I believe your attempts are admirable. Your BF may be smart but in other areas.

The best of luck to you, Cheers!

It does indeed exist. Join the family.

Dang, another language to consider and I don't use this one very well.

I'll stick to american and work on my grammar/spelling issues.

*smile*

Absinthe Mafia

It's just another Urban Legend™. :dry:

It does indeed exist. Join the family.

The Mafia

I'm pretty sure I'd be loosin' at least a coupla fingers if I joined anuddah familia at this stage of my (of course nonexistent) mob association at this other, somewhat more credible, and tenured forum. :devil:

Alternatively if you want to see what some of us here had to deal with for the whole of 2007, you can try reading the Czech "Absinthe" blog.

Don't bother posting there, because your posts will not appear ...

Oh good lawdy. I just wasted a lot of time and energy getting through that string of comments. Ugly, snarky, petty... I think I need a drink now. ;)

Maybe instead of trying to clear up the misinformation, someone should create a total piss-take site all about the AMAZING THUJONE HALLUCINATIONS and FIRE and FAIRIES!! (with lots of exclamation points and animated gifs of incorrect 'rituals', of course)

Give the people what they want, but in an Onion style humour wrapper.

Strapline: Absinthe-- everything you've heard is true.

I'll bet absintheeverythingyouheardistrue.com isn't even taken. :twitchsmile:

Shame it probably would backfire and do even more harm... * sigh *

I lurves me some Purple Fairy parable.

Purple and Green Fairies! Those are some wonderful secondaries...

...as colors.

Let's try it then

- Say, it's been a while ! Where the heck have you been ?

- I've been living for a few years in England man ! And by the way, I thought of you, and brought you back a little something that may please you.

I was glad to see Eric again. We have been friends since high school, and lost each other for a few years now. I invite him to enter my place, and show him around. When we reach my home office, he seems flabergasted.

I can understand why : I have in a few years brought up a gorgeous collection, odd as it may be. Carafes and Baccarat and Louis Philippe glasses, all from the first half of the nineteenth century, branded corkscrews, and a fine diversity of wine-tasting cups, to say the least.

And then he throws at me

- Well ! If I had only known ! Say, you're gonna be even happyer man ! If you only knew the fright I had going through the tolls...

He leans on his bagpack, opens it with great care, and fetches what looks like a bottle wrapped in newspaper sheets, to make it "discreet". I have a bad feeling to myself, I think I know. I see him gazing at me, hoping for a joy I won't express, and it kind of breaks my heart. I carefuly unfold the paper and extract the bottle, and feign I am a ravished connaisseur.

Which I'm not. Ravished, I mean, otherwise I know my stuff. The bottle is filled with a chemical looking red/violet liquid, decorated with a label on which danses a roguish Bacchus, holding a cannabis leaf in his hand. "Chateau Satyre"... The name says it all.

- Do you mind if I open it ?

- Please do, by all means, but I'd rather not taste if for myself, I'll have an absinthe for the aperitif (nota : hope the word works here), if you don't mind

- For the aperitif ? You mean you don't want to drink it during diner ?

- During dinner ? You know, there they use to drink that before or as a digestive. Rather as a digestive actually.

Well, oblong friend, we are condemned to a couple life. I open the bottle, which, though it is glass made, has a plastic stopper, and let the aromas go to my nose. Yup... That's it. Cider alcohol, with grape juice, and some food coloring... The cannabis is just there as a commercial teaser.

You see, that's the shame these last years. Some dork wanted to restore the myth of wine, which as been forbidden for a century and a half in France and several European countries, and brought up this this story saying that it's very traditional in England. As if. Obviously, they did not inquire a lot about what wine truly was, and developped something around alcohol, grapefruit, and this famous bordeaux color sung by poets.

They surfed on the tantalizing aspect, decorating it with relations to Pan, Dyonisos, bacchanalia, forgetting completely what was wine to the French culture for many centuries. And that's not the worst of their commercial inventions...

- Say, with all that paraphenalia you have, don't you have the pipes ?

... And there you have it. Flaming wine in Cognac pipes...

- Errr... No ? You know, at that time, they used regular glassware, or wine glasses. Like these ones for example. And they would not put it on fire. Yet, sometimes, according to where the wine came from, you have to let it settle a bit, or open it with the correct timeframe before serving it, or serving it at the correct temperature. That my friend is the purpose of the settling carafes you see over there, or the thermometers right there in the corner.

- But all this stuff, you don't use it, right ? asks he, inquisitive

I let a sigh, and lean against my office's cupboard. I let the left door slide, revealing my personal cellar.

- Of course I do, kind sir ! After all, I am a connaisseur !

- But it's not genuine, is it ?

- But yes it is, true French wine, produced nowadays by passionate though little producing wine producers !

- Yes, but I mean, it's not the real thing, because I know they are selling it, but it's been altered, they removed the dangerous stuff... Err... what do they call it ?

- tannins ?

- Yes ! That's it ! tannins !

- You know, that was the excuse to have wine prohibited. That and an excessive alcoholism at that time. Not to mention the others reasons. But it has been proven that you would have to ingest a large quantity of wine to be at least a little sick because of the tannins... And well, they have strict control over the concentration of tannins in beverages in Europe. Oh, and that, over there, is what I am the most proud of !

Saying that, I point my finger to a vintage bottle of a fine origine, dating from before the prohibition which occured at the half of the XIXth century, which I fetched for a "democratic" price, from a friend of mine.

- You're not going to dring that ? It must be poisoned, like it was in that time !

- Well, that's not what scientific studies say. Not for this quality and this origin in fact. And the problem was they feared the phyloxera, a rather nasty aphid. Out of superstition, they thought it poisoned the grape. Since, it has been proven that no, it did not. Merely killed it. But you are right, I'm not going to drink that bottle yet. I am not trained enough to appreciate it. No yet.

- Speaking of which, one last thing about the bottle I brought back. The seller told me that this brand was the one containing the highest level of tannins.

He tells me that with a little smile, which I interpred as "that's the one you will get your best fix with". I choose not to comment. And feeling that we are not headed anywhere interesting, I decide to leave the room with him. I'll wait another time to school him.

- Come on, let's reste a bit on the terrace, the ice cubes already are in the glasses, we are going to sip a little verte. You will excuse me, I only have below par stuff, for the aperitif, and I tend to think that serving with sugar and spoons is a bit too "old fashion". My grandfather used to do that

- No harm done, I tend to drink it very diluted

- So then Eric, tell me about England...

------------------------------------

So there it is. Translated the best I could, but it's not that easy :)

Wait, so you didn't see the Purple Fairy? ;)

Thanks! The original essay and this both have a facetious tone to them which I really like.

...aperitif (nota : hope the word works here), if you don't mind

It made sense to me. :)

So far I've never had someone tell me that it's not "real absinthe" if I've bombarded them with historical and technical information. A lot of people just go, "oh, I guess you know what you're talking about if you can remember all that crap."