Absinthe Ben

The Rebirth of Alandia

There's a lot of work to do, setting people straight. This is from today and is pretty typical:

"authentic" Absinthe, it's all the same everywhere. Legally they aren't allowed to make its crazy strong like back in the day

It's hard to know where to start!

And I think it's easier to promote a craft whiskey/gin/etc since there's plenty of people drinking those spirits already. Absinthe, people still think it tastes like black licorice, and if you've had one, you've had them all.

And for a bar that has a couple absinthes: St George and Lucid (or other brands), that they got when they thought they had to have absinthe but now don't sell very well, it's much harder to get them to add to their collection.

True. But there's nothing keeping your from making gin, whiskey, or liqueurs.

I can only imagine how good a herbal liqueur would be from Delaware Phoenix!

Just sayin'. ;)

I can only imagine how good a herbal liqueur would be from Delaware Phoenix!

And how traditional would it be!

Tru dat! But I'm not as happy with their other clips, the ones showing more traditional methods of serving. The dumass always pours the absinthe over the sugar first, then adds water, in a sloppy demonstration of...I don't know what. It just looks stupid to me. Do it carefully, show some respect for the booze, if indeed you do care at all.

Ya... I've never seen that streamline method before. Pouring the booze into the water??? Did they ever do it like that back in the day?

Yup, they sure did. That streamline brouilleur is a reproduction of an antique one. You can one of these also at The Virtual Absinthe Museum. I've got one and it's an interesting option to the usual ritual.

Good question. The burnt smell really floods the room when a sugar cube is flamed, so I'm sure it's not good to inhale all that. I hope after they filmed that they opened a window. ;)

It did look very nasty, didn't it? Repulsive, in fact. That said, the video has certainly done its job. I'd like to second heavyharpoon's thumbs up. As I stated earlier, this transition is a very slow process, so we discussed what could be done in the meantime, and this was decided on as the next step. Mike did not mention how soon they would film the new preparation videos, but I'm glad to hear they are now online. So far, he has followed through on his word 100%, and I trust he will be willing to sit down soon and look over what else could be reasonably accomplished going into 2010.

Yup, they sure did. That streamline brouilleur is a reproduction of an antique one. You can one of these also at The Virtual Absinthe Museum. I've got one and it's an interesting option to the usual ritual.

Wait. Specifically, you're saying that the absinthe got poured over the sugar cube after the spoon was on top of the glass, and they the water was sloppily sloshed all over everything after that? That's my issue, not whether booze got poured into the water or water gets poured into the booze.

Shame that after releasing such a great video as the anti-Bohemian one they will now need to publicly apologize to the water. :laugh:

Personally I just pour in some Red Bull of course, so these are of no use to me. ;)

The Strong 68 is that horrible or ???

Here is how the local Absinthe bar/ Restaurant shows their product in the photo gallery,

IMG_0832.jpg

Owwww!!!! I hope that's not the Taboo in there.

You need to go in there and teach them a lesson Matt.

Yup, I got one too. Funny little things. Also called the Perrenod Brouilleur. Even David Nathan-Maister's Absinthe Encyclopedia says there's debate about how the thing was used - absinthe in the glass with water in the Perrenod several times, or water in the glass first with a dose of absinthe in the metal cup. He seems to side with adding absinthe to water below. I'm sure he's probably right but that method makes the louche over far too quickly for my liking. Not that it concerns me, but there doesn't seem to be a good way to add sugar using a Perrenod. An interesting thing to have on hand, but not an object I use often.

Oh, and in case OneBadPig didn't see the other thread... * clears throat * I think I can help you on the F. Guy thing. ;)

but there doesn't seem to be a good way to add sugar using a Perrenod

Well well well... Far easier than you'd think ;)

The whole purpose of a spoon or brouilleur is to add sugared water to absinthe. If the perrenod brouilleur is indeed (and I think so too) a way to add absinthe to water, you may as well add absinthe to sugared water.

Q.E.D :)

edit : sigh... Still waiting for someone to reproduce de Bloch brouilleur, though :p

Edited by Aggelos

Oh wow absinthehour, didn't know actual sales of absinthe was so close on the horizon since you first mentioned opening the site. Good to hear! Maybe I've just not been checking regularly enough.

Alandia's selection is still a bit full of novelties, but kudos on the video, though I must admit, am I the only one who thought it was pitching the " bohemian" method to the " bad boy" market with the music and all of that? They never explained WHY not to do it. I mean, sure, we, as people who've had experience with the spirit before knows that should never be the color of a prepared absinthe, but what if it's new to you and you didn't think to look elsewhere online?

I just bought a fountain from Absinthinia, the USA accessories division of Alandia. There was a minor problem with it, and Mike responded the same day, several times via e-mail to resolve things perfectly.

In fact, he even e-mailed me on Saturday with the final note. Hands-on, worry-free. It's always a risk with a new internet vendor, but I trust this guy because of how he handles himself and clients. BTW, the "mini lady" fountain I bought is very nice, and takes up a bit less space than the taller ones. The spigots are still high enough over the glasses.