odiedog52

What were you guys drinking on the 4th?

I'm not exactly sure if this is the right spot for this or if someone did something similar, but I checked .. so forgive me if this isn't right. Also I know it's a few days late, but here's to hoping you guys had an awesome and crazy of a 4th as I did! It was pretty awesome and my brother goes to pretty great lengths to keep it that way because I only get to come home twice a year from the Army and this was one of those times.

Wow. I had a crazy 4th! Went to the liquor store to get some vodka and rum cause we burned through all the free samples we were sent (one of the AWESOME perks of owning a fine beverage magazine .. it's still hard work, but Red Bull LOVES us so we always have a ton of energy!) but it was closed. So we went to a place I thought might have a decent craft beer section .... and it was amazing.

Got a few Dogfish Head (DFH) 60 and 90 Minute IPAs, DFH Immort Ale, DFH Palo Santo Marron, DFH Raison D'etre, 2 Russian River Pliny the Edlers, Avery Brewing Co Collaboration Not Litigation Ale, Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale and Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale. I'm fairly certain I'm missing a few, but either way it was a ton of good beer. And all was drunk that night by myself and a buddy/business partner.

Then moved onto some absinthe; a bottle of Vieux Carre that Philadelphia Distlling sent us (along with their Penn 16 Rye Vodka and Bluecoat American Dry Gin, the latter which made a KILLER gin and tonic). We had moved Mutineer HQ to a partners house for the holiday weekend and we didn't have the appropriate accessories, so I apologize now. I added what looked to be a sugar cubes worth of sugar and some cold water to taste and mixed it up and it was awesome. The tap water wasn't very cold and we used all the ice, and that was my only complaint that it needed to be much colder, but that was all on me and not the absinthe. Of course there was a girl there who said it was crap absinthe and you have to light it on fire and it's the wrong kind of absinthe and the good stuff only comes from Poland etc etc etc. She then tells us (us being 4 people who own a nationally distributed fine beverage magazine and one of them being a professional Sommelier) that we have no idea what we're talking about. Oh dear..

Then we moved to Leopold Brothers Three Pins Alpine Liqueor which was awesome, then some Root which was really cool as well although we didn't really get a chance to incorporate them into anything or make any drinks with them or really see what they were capable of. Then my brother made a crazy jalepeno pineapple drink cause someone said he couldn't make up an extreme drink that tasted good in less than 4 minutes. It was good for a sip, not much else. Somehow Jeff drank a pint glass full of it. Gross.

Then it was shots of Three Olives Root Beer vodka ... which I think did me in.

Anyone else care to share?

Good grief Odie, the rockets' red glare and bombs bursting in air are supposed to be in the sky, not in your brain!

My 4th was much mellower -- I had two Hornsby's apple ciders and then stopped there, since I was driving my girlfriend and I to a fireworks display a couple hours (she's always doing that for me, so I figured I'd let her be the one to indulge this time). When we got back from watching the sky burn, we restarted the party with some absinthe (a Meadow of Love for me, a Walton Waters for her), and then we finished it off later with a shot of Castries Peanut Rum Liqueur (which is wickedly delicious).

Good grief Odie, the rockets' red glare and bombs bursting in air are supposed to be in the sky, not in your brain!

haha ... yaaa I know. But I figure I'm 23 .. and I'm home and we had a kitchen counter full of free (GOOD) alcohol and were at an amazing house with a view of a valley filled with fireworks and the gorgeous Mount Rainier standing tall at 14,410 feet tall in the background as we sipped our drinks in a hot tub and my girlfriend flew up from California .... it couldn't have been better. Simply amazing.

And I held it together pretty well, barely even felt buzzed until the very end of the night which is quite a feat considering most all those beers were at least 8% abv, if not higher like 11%. But then again, I am the guy that was still upright and walking around with a .30 blood alcohol concentration, up until the point I had the crap kicked out of me and woke up in hospital :drunk:

:pirate:

I had a watermelon slushie made at a dinner party. It didn't have any alcohol, but it had so much sugar in it that's a good thing. :twitchsmile:

It's become an annual tradition to pack up the cooler with various good things and head over to our friends who live in Maple Valley, WA. They're on five acres so it's nice and green and out of the way.

This time the selection of ale/beer included Full Sail Pilsner (LTD series; recipe #3), Whistling Pig Hefeweizen, and Negra Modelo. Also brought along absinthes Taboo and Obsello for those in the crowd that like tasting such things (at the St. Patrick's Day party I had done a tasting with five other absinthes). Also brought along a couple of bottles of french Cab Rose for JustKate. And finally the components for the cocktail du jour (usually something tasty that the crowd hasn't tried yet, and usually something that I've picked up from Murray at the Zig Zag Cafe). This time it was an unnamed cocktail containing gin, St Germain, and lime juice, muddled with lime, mint and cucumber ... a perfect summer drink and a definite hit. Finished the day by making gin & tonics with St Germain and a touch of Grenadine (usually use Peychaud's bitters but I forgot to bring them).

Needless to say, everyone else brought drinks as well, and the hosts provided the usual constant supply of quality beer and rum punch.

And then the food .... BBQ & potluck; too much variety to mention and all tasty.

Anyway, as this was a nine hour party, it was easy to pace myself and enjoy everything without getting wrecked. Which worked out well as we always finish off with our own (legal) fireworks display. Got to sleep in a bit the next morning too, as the boys were just as tired as we were (officially a nine-dog party).

Went to a mellow BBQ at a friend's pad that's right on Alki and overlooks the sound. No official fireworks show on Alki this year, which was good, as it kept the people at entertaining and interesting mass, rather than annoying critical mass. Watched the big fireworks being shot from assorted other Puget Sound landmasses.

A couple glasses of Marteau Belle Epoque bookended an Arrogant Bastard bomber. A perfect amount to factor in with the food+time/driving-myself-home-safely equation.

Wow, a lot of WA people in this thread. I'm stationed in North Carolina, but am from Puyallup, where I was able to spend the 4th.

enough Guinness to kill a horse.

Whoa, that stuff is about as strong as Kaliber™, compared to most of the beer I drink.

Either you mean the last surviving eohippus, or you polished off a night-mare-ish quantity of the stuff! :devil:

Either you mean the last surviving eohippus, or you polished off a night-mare-ish quantity of the stuff! :devil:

why should the 4th be different from any other day?

I am in fact a Fire Horse, just so's you know..where is this Eohippus, in the Valley of Gwangi?

"I am, in fact, a fire hose..."

Man, BS, you and Paul Nathan always braggin... :devil:

It might not be strong, but it's one of my favorite beers to drink when it's really hot out.

Iagree, except for me that would be Guinness Foreign Extra Stout at about 8% . It's not so much about the extra alcohol as it is about the thirst quenching acidity, which is why it was originally brewed for stout afficionados in the Caribbean.

whatever, dude, I couldn't do it (the Export) in the jungles of Belize. I opted for the fine (and only) alternative, Belikin Beer. Total crap, and I'd have it no other way! :cheers:

Guinness Draught is, on the other hand, made for chuggin'. Don't like them plastic floaties in the bottles though.

From what I remember, Vieux Carre, Boddingtons, Miller Lite, Guinness, Vodka & Fresca, some Shiraz / Cab blend and probably something else. They shot the fireworks off later than planned. Didn't make it. They did another display the following night, though. Checked it out, sitting on the awning outside my bedroom.

Had Terrapin Rye2 and some Knob Creek. It was a very mellow 4th.

Molly and I celebrated the 4th in the traditional way - at a French restaurant with champagne cocktails. I believe Ms. Molly had a Kir Royale, while I stuck to my usual French 75. Just one cocktail at dinner, but the food was rich enough to cover for the small alcohol intake. Molly had foie gras and filet mignon. I had escargot and coq au vin. We both split a chocolate souffle with cointreau whipped cream. I had another two glasses of white wine when we got back to my house. We were able to watch fireworks right from my apartment.

VC, VP, St. Germain, and water. A very tasty evening with good company--after some strong, percussive beatings from those firework thingies. Dang, were some of them loud and sternum-shaking!