Sign in to follow this  
AiO

ROOT!

Art in the Age seems like a pretty small operation; I'm not sure if switching their production to another country is an option.

As to whether the ban on sassafras in the US is valid or not, I'll have to read up on that. I don't know enough about the plant. If it is as baseless as the former ban on absinthe because of its supposed thujone content, then I would certainly like to see it lifted here.

With regards to the thujone limit in the US--was that ever actually raised or were the powers-that-be simply apprised of the fact that there are no significant amounts of thujone in properly-distilled absinthe? I seem to remember the "lifting of the ban" here as essentially amounting to an "end run" around the (still) current regulations; after all, the sanctioned limit of less than 10ppm is basically the same as "no allowable levels."

I can tell you that--sassafras or not--ROOT is one tasty beverage! :cheers:

It should, the rest of the ingredients seem really appealing to me :thumbup: Wish it was available in here. I believe that once you adopt 35mg/l as the maximum allowable limit just as it is in Europe, many things will change for better.

In the meantime, the maximum limit in the EU will be uplifted what many producers shall benefit from (especially in Switzerland) and the definition of absinthe will be accepted and used, USA could follow that pattern, I know it is wishful thinking, yet everyone can dream :pirate:

Once you sort the case with safrole out, you should take care of coumarine, which is not fixed case only in the US, then asarone, myristicine and we are home.

I managed to hold on to a teeny tiny little bit and get it up here. I don't know if it'll last until Friday though.

Could definitely go for some more of this ... we didn't have enough to really mess around with it to its full potential. Regardless, there will be a small write up of it (as well as Leopold Bros. Three Pins) in the upcoming issue of Mutineer Magazine, which comes out August 1st.

Just wanted to say a big THANKS to Art In The Age for sending some more ROOT samples. We'll definitely be taking your advice with trying it with ginger ale. And for the record, this is Brian and not JJ :P

Thanks again, can't wait to try some new things with it!

I'd actually recommend using ginger beer instead of ginger ale in the Root n' Ginger; the ginger beer gives it an extra snap. Stewarts is a good brand that seems to be widely available.

Unable to find other ginger beers available recently, the local Whole Foods was loaded to the gills with Reed's Extra Ginger Beer. Goes well enough with the Root.

Unable to find other ginger beers available recently, the local Whole Foods was loaded to the gills with Reed's Extra Ginger Beer. Goes well enough with the Root.

Ouch. I know Reed's has the Jamaican pedigree and everything, but I just don't like the stuff. I think it may be the fruit juices they use in their blend that turn me off. If you're ever able to use a more "traditional" (i.e., non-fruity) brand like Stewart's, I think you'll notice a world of difference. Sure wish I could find my favorite, Sioux City, around here--it's nice and peppery! Makes great Moscow Mules too.

The usual fill the glass with ice, and 1/3 Root and fill with ginger.

That sounds about right, though here's the original recipe from Art in the Age's website, if you want to give it a whirl.