• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

While helping to clean out my Grandmother's condo, I stumbled across a set of the World Book Encyclopedia from 1969. Here's the very short entry I found:

ABSINTHE, AB sinth, is a yellowish-green alcoholic beverage. It contains wormwood and anise. The use of absinthe can destroy the nerve centers of the brain. Production of absinthe is prohibited in the United States.

"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#2 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,601 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

Not surprising.

What did anyone know about anything in 1969, except maybe everything. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#3 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:32 PM

Hey, who needs the brown acid with stuff like that to consume? :wacko: Just for fun, here's Funk & Wagnalls from 1979: "Absinthe, liquor flavored with pounded leaves and flowering tops of certain species of plants belonging to the genus Artemisia, chiefly wormwood, together with angelica root, sweetflag root, star anise, and other aromatics (see ESSENTIAL OIL). The aromatics are macerated for about eight days in alcohol and then distilled, the result being green-colored liquor. Absinthe is prohibited in the United States, France, and Canada because habitual use causes mental and physical debility" :cheers:
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#4 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

Amazing.

Only half as mis-informed, the bastids want to hurt my little friends!

#5 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

Ahhh! Pull them up by hand?!
Blasphemy!

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#6 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,254 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

What? No mentions of hallucination and drug-like effects? Fancy that.

Encyclopedia Britannica 1910:

ABSINTHE, a liqueur or aromatized spirit, the characteristic flavouring matter of which is derived from various species of wormwood (Artemisia absinthium). Among the other substances generally employed in its manufacture are angelica root, sweet flag, dittany leaves, star-anise fruit, fennel and hyssop. A colourless “alcohólate” is first prepared, and to this the well-known green colour of the beverage is imparted by maceration with green leaves of wormwood, hyssop and mint. Inferior varieties are made by means of essences, the distillation being omitted. There are two varieties of absinthe, the French and the Swiss, the latter of which is of a higher alcoholic strength than the former. The best absinthe contains 70 to 80% of alcohol. It is said to improve very materially by storage. There is a popular belief to the effect that absinthe is frequently adulterated with copper, indigo or other dye-stuffs (to impart the green colour), but, in fact, this is now very rarely the case. There is some reason to believe that excessive absinthe-drinking leads to effects which are specifically worse than those associated with over-indulgence in other forms of alcohol.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#7 Attack Accountant

Attack Accountant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

There is some reason to believe that excessive absinthe-drinking leads to effects which are specifically worse than those associated with over-indulgence in other forms of alcohol.[/i]

That's a true statement. It keeps your wallet flat.
I think I'm funny but no one else does.

#8 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

:laugh: No doubt!
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#9 Minnalouche

Minnalouche

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:26 AM

Amazing.

The bastids want to hurt my little friends!

Appalling! :shock:

The scoundrels!!

:blowup:
Does Minnalouche know that his absinthe
Will pass from change to change
As emerald clouds to opal,
And yet nothing will change?

Still he drinks opaline.

#10 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

There is some reason to believe that excessive absinthe-drinking leads to effects which are specifically worse than those associated with over-indulgence in other forms of alcohol.[/i]

I'll second that. By that standard I should definitely be a member of AA (Absinthists Anonymous, of course). When I think of the shoes I could have spent that money on... and in three months, I'd still have the shoes.

But shoes just don't taste nearly as good.

:cheerz:
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#11 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

I haven't bought shoes for over five years. Then I quit buying absinthe for a few months and now I own a brand new pair of shoes.

Honest! Ask the Precious. :closedeyes:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#12 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

<scratches chin> I just bought a pair of shoes for the same price that I could have bought both of the Delaware Phoenix absinthes for...course, that's only because my everyday shoes have holes in them and are falling apart. I'm upgrading from cotton to leather.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#13 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

Thats so funny, but true. My shoes and instrument obsessions have been on hiatus since absinthe came into my life. Now I buy bottles and stemware. I seem to have misplaced my mancard.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#14 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

These days I tend to think of most major purchases in terms of how many bottles of absinthe it would buy: An absinthe spoon holder or a bottle of Obsello? Fancy new boots or two bottles of Ridge? A fancy, oak barrel mini fridge for my new absinthe bar, OR 7-10 bottles of absinthe? Guess which one won each time?

So. No fancy boots. No mini fridge. No spoon holder.

But plenty of abinthe. :thumbup:
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#15 billnchristy

billnchristy

• Bronze Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Love it.

:cheers:

But honey, really? Those boots are 2 bottles of Leopold, look at those flip-flops....5 bucks, we could get some Obsello too.

:twitchsmile: :heart:

#16 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

I'm sensing a whole new kind of 12-step program coming down the pike. :unsure:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#17 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,601 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

:thumbup: :yahoo:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#18 Minnalouche

Minnalouche

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

:laf: :laugh: :laf:

Absinthe and absintheurs are so much more amusing than a new pair of boots or shoes or what have you not, as is evident by this here forum. :twitchsmile:

Still he drinks opaline.

#19 Minnalouche

Minnalouche

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

I'll second that. By that standard I should definitely be a member of AA (Absinthists Anonymous, of course). When I think of the shoes I could have spent that money on... and in three months, I'd still have the shoes.

But shoes just don't taste nearly as good.

But long after those shoes have worn out, you would probably still have the friendship of numerous fellow absintheurs. :cheers:

I have a couple of cats who seem to prefer the smell - and perhaps even the taste - of shoes to absinthe, especially if the shoes have been recently worn! :dead:

Still he drinks opaline.

#20 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

But long after those shoes have worn out, you would probably still have the friendship of numerous fellow absintheurs. :cheers:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association