Joe Legate

The WS Music Project

If less is more, think of how much more more would be! ;)

Whoa... :twitchsmile: :dribble:

Wait--would it be less? Ha!

For better or worse, I've come to see it as very context-specific. Some pieces work best with each and every gap filled in, and others shine from leaving a lot of space open.

Still baby-stepping on my new track. It’s sounding pretty decent at this point just from tooling around with the beats, bass tones and trying to figure out what the structure should be. I believe I’ll be able to lay down the first two “verse” sections by the week’s close if I stick to it. Fun times.

Anyone closer to completing a track? More headway last night for me…maybe another week or two with tweaking and all…

Not yet. I've got demos of two tracks done on my computer. I'll take them downstairs to the studio sometime soon and rerecord them. I haven't decided whether I'll do a third song.

been sittin' on one track, making sure it doesn't need anything more. Got some other stuff in a really vaprous, ambiguous form. Not sure how many tracks are gonna come of what I got so far.

I'm nowhere near finished. Plus, I'm recording on a D888, not a computer. My computer is too old and not powerful enough to successfully run the programs I'd like to use.

I've been seriously thinking about getting a MacBook Pro for a while.

Heading down to practise the drum parts for these two songs this evening. Gotta get back into it cuz I haven't played in a few months. Before long I'm going to record them and then start an organic layering process for piecing the songs together the rest of the way.

I'm nowhere near finished.

Ditto. Though starting the WS comp track has got me thinking of ideas again, which is such a good feeling after nearly a year of nothing. :)

I have a rough demo on my myspace music page that is kind of in the same vein as what I'm trying to do with the song for this project. It's mainly in the loop that runs throughout the song; hopefully the 'shoegaze Satie' kind of comes across. This is just a demo, so the sound quality isn't that great.

Even though this isn't the song that I'm working on for the project (which is going to be an instrumental), it's near enough in style that if anyone has any suggestions on improvements to carry over to the WS song I'd love to hear them. I'm super critical of everything I do (and I'm not sensitive), though I'm generally not a good judge of my own material.

It's the first song, 'Miles'.

I really like this loop, with all the interlocking melodic pieces and the relaxing atmosphere it creates. Two things: is the bass slightly sharp? I'm thinking of the highest note it plays (which is sustained) in particular. Another bass nitpick--is the slight lateness of the bass note on the 1 an intentional device to keep things from getting too stable/comfortable? (I've used this sort of thing, myself, I admit.)

In other realms, I think we've already shared our love of Yoko's early stuff, so I'll just say I want that blue Fender of yours. :)

P.S. I'm too lazy to log on right now, but I'm scuto on MS for my personal page, and scutopus is my music page. :cheers:

Two things: is the bass slightly sharp? I'm thinking of the highest note it plays (which is sustained) in particular. Another bass nitpick--is the slight lateness of the bass note on the 1 an intentional device to keep things from getting too stable/comfortable? (I've used this sort of thing, myself, I admit.)

The first time I recorded the bass line, I had the note on the 1 but I didn't like it. The bass is sharp (and the strings are dead). When the final version is recorded, I'm going to make sure everything is tuned correctly. I'm also going to run the bass through a ring modulator on low frequency. I really like the slight pulsating effect that gives it. Before I do any of that, though, I'm going to finish the WS submission.

Thanks for what you said about the loop, that's really the only thing that's going to be similar in the submission (but not too similar, I hope).

Nice stuff on your page!

Ooo, I like me some ring modulation! And dead bass strings, but then again I like low-passed bass tones in general.

Crazy late-night idea--play with/subtly vary the timing of those not-quite-on-the-one bass notes! Though that seems harder to do than to think of when over-tired!

Thanks! :)

It sounds good as hell to me! I like the the slight dissonance of it being a bit out of tune.

Are you sure that's not the pain meds playing with your head, precenphix? :twitchsmile:

I'm late to the game on this, but I hope your foot heals quickly and you'll be back to kicking the crap out of crapsinthe very soon.

I like reading updates on the progress you guys are making in your composing and recording processes, so keep it coming!

Some progress on my track. It'll take a good amount of work to be successful, though. At least there is momentum! :cheers:

Decided to ditch what I worked on last week. Other avenues to explore that will sound better. Just not happy with it. Might send the sketch to committee though, just for the hell of it.

Next time I can get upstairs w/a clear head, I'll render off an unmastered quick version and figure out a way to get it out. Probably to the e-mail addy again. It's just not turning out the way I would have liked. It's sloppy and got a little too poppy for my taste. Might just start it off with what was going to be the ending I haven't worked on yet. Or just move on to another song. Who knows.

Bored.

I'd love to hear it.

Primary recording of my track is finished (I am comfortable knowing that this track will challenge listeners). Next up is the addition of outboard effects and then the daunting task of mixing.

Snippets of some of my released work can be found here:

http://www.myspace.com/chadhoefler

"Nocturn in Gradient (Part 1)" has been uploaded to the WS Music Project e-mail address. Those with access, have at it. Pretty sure I'm ditching this. I'm not overly fond of the poppy overtones things thing has going on. It turned out different than I would have liked...in a bad way, I feel.

This is unmastered and unleveled.

Might be continuing on with what would have been part 2 to this piece...in my head it sounds nothing like part 1. Full of drones and dark as hell. But I'm sure we'll have enough of that spread around on this project if it comes to fruition. It might just be time to move on...

Nocturne in Gradient (Part 1) is up.

For what it's worth I like it.

Full of drones and dark as hell.

wouldn't be the only one. I'm trying to find an excuse to mix some bagpipes in with the sitar.

Regarding both your quotes, DO IT. Then again, I like [good] drones, dark or not.

Bagpipes are a huge PITA, though I was a complete novice and only using the drones for the track I was working on--no chanter.

Nocturne in Gradient (Part 1) is up.

For what it's worth I like it.

Same here. It shows promise, but I defer to the artist's vision. :wave2:

"Nocturn in Gradient (Part 1)" has been uploaded to the WS Music Project e-mail address. Those with access, have at it. Pretty sure I'm ditching this. I'm not overly fond of the poppy overtones things thing has going on. It turned out different than I would have liked...in a bad way, I feel.

Precenphix, I believe I have a sense of what you were going for, and I think that changing the rhythm track to something less jazzpop percussive would go a long way to coloring this with the darker overtones that you're after. Adding a fuller bottom end in the form of slinky bass guitar or some organ in the lower register would sound great too, but now I'm just armchair orchestrating ;)

Give part 2 a shot and keep us up to date! Feel better soon too, man.