Joe Legate

The WS Music Project

I got a bunch of recordings to choose from .. I should probably only donate one song

Hey Wayek, a contribution from you would be much appreciated. Bear in mind that you can submit multiple songs for consideration, and it's almost definite only one will be selected (and you can request only one be selected, as well).

That’s not written in stone, is it? It probably depends on the total number of submissions there are to choose from...as well as any other criteria the panel comes up with. But hopefully this thing goes well enough for a volume 2. It sounds like there’s lots of talented folks with plenty of ideas that might encompass more than just one edition.

Wayek, I really like Colderside of the Sun, but I think you could make it even cooler (or, uh, Colder) if you did a another version or remix with absinthe specifically in mind, and it might also be more likely for the submissions panel to accept it. Just my 2 pence.

I like it as is, but I wouldn't mind hearing it rerecorded with fuller production (though I do love the very organic sound). But if that's not possible, then no sweat.

As far as number of submissions, I think we're so far working with the idea of a limit of 3 submissions and up to two ending up on the compilation, more only if we don't get many submissions. I think keeping the disc to an hour is probably reasonable and if there's lots of great stuff then we'll save some for next year's volume 2.

I'd like to think we'd put work from as many members as possible on the disc if the material is quality stuff, even if it means only one submission apiece, rather than somebody being left off for somebody else to have two tracks on it. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Wayek - I'm digging Colderside of the Sun the most out of these all. I don't think the production is too shabby. Besides, that can sometimes be part of the allure to indie rock. Sonic Youth's Sister was produced like dog shit but stands on its own very well.

If you have access to the masters, it could possibly use a little cleaning, but I like it as it stands right now as well.

EDIT: the myspace version was mixed by me and wasn't mastered in the UK, forgot which one was up there since I havent checked that site in a few months!

The original track was mastered at organised rhyme / brighton recording studios in Brighton and Hove UK and yeah I have the master of it.....

myspace streaming quality isn't really the greatest too

The more I listen to this song, the more I like it. I see now with the other version, it was just the (flanger or phaser?) effect combined with the Myspace quality that was throwing me off. I'm sure you can work with the panel and decide what version is best to use, ect. I personally would love to see this song in one form or another on the final CD.

If you guys would like to use it then be my guest. I'd more than happy to contribute it to this CD!

I really appreciate the comments, it's probably one of my favourites...that song stands out on its own

No Arrow was supposed to have a CD of their own and they still might depending on the other band members status. Lately I've been using the myspace as a platform for my own musical artforms which are starting to become more evolved since the actual band might have already broken up!

seeing that I have the name 'No Arrow' trademarked, I don't see this as any reason to start a seperate page.....

most of the songs on that page are multi tracked by me playing all the instruments

there are only 3 songs on there that have the original band members

I just put a new one on there just now called 'System'

Im currently updating the site...that could be why

if you have an MSN or an email I can send it to you directly in the meantime

shoot me a PM

EDIT: mastered version of 'Ashes in the rain' and new version of 'System' up for grabs

shouldn't have any problems with it now.

Made some progress on the first section of a new WS Music Project track tonight. Hip-hop beats mixed with some grimey d 'n b. Bass tones need tweaking, but at least the general gist is of the bass line is there. Next up, Fender Rhodes piano lines.

And there's dripping. I wanted to call this thing "louche", but I'm sure loads of other tracks will get that title.

Thinking about making cutting this into 3 parts. The jazzy, sexy 1st section, followed by a bit of a sinister middle. Rushing back into a harder rendition of the first section...closing out with a dark "absinthe dream" influenced section. We'll see how it goes, but there appears to be promise.

Well, that clinches it!

Can't wait to hear what you guys are cooking up! Anyone else jump on the bandwagon yet? Fingerpickinblue? Anyone else?

Well, it's way too early to tell for sure, but I might be able to come up with something I'm happy enough with to submit after all.

This thread has gotten me all motivated to start playing my guitar more and begin to experiment with music production software. Thanks to a some great virtual amplifier simulation, I don't have to worry about fixing up my ailing Fender Twin and calling in favors for help with miking and recording it.

We'll see if I can conquer the software learning curves and restore my currently feeble guitar skillz to something of their former glory. After a couple weeks solid playing, my callouses are back at least and my fingertips no longer hurt. I'm gonna try some stuff and also see if I can collaborate with a few folks.

However, even if I don't end up with music I think is up to par for submission this time around, I'm sure I stand to learn quite a bit.

Great! Don't feel you have to do anything epic. Minimal is just a beautiful as massive production quality. Plug in and get to strummin'. Looking forward to hearing the results!

...Don't feel you have to do anything epic...

I'm reminded of the Brian Wilson phase in Walk Hard- "It's still not finished yet. I'm hearing more Aboriginal percussionists. And I want an army of didgeridoos. Fifty thousand didgeridoos!"

Heh. I get your point, but as a sidebar to the notion of overindulgence…dude, I honestly only made it about 40 minutes into that movie and left the room several times throughout. I could have found more humorous and entertaining things in my stool than what comprised that film. It was an utter calamity and a poor, poor goof on the musical documentary genre. It was really shitty as far as even the worst mockumentary goes. I wasn’t a fan of Spinal Tap either, but that at least had me laughing out loud on a couple of occasions. I’d like to find the script-writer for that mess and piss on his or her shoes.

Well, if you didn't watch the whole thing, I just related the best part. I thought it started getting funnier towards the middle- not the most clever parodies to be sure, but I thought some of the music history gags were pretty amusing. Movies like that are what Netflix streaming is good for if you're a bloke like me and don't have cable.

Dude(s), that movie is fucking hilarious and you, sir, are a Wet Blanket of a most suspicious-smelling variety.

And I already have a drip tune, so I don't wanna hear a word about who did what first later. :devil:

Well, in that case, if I'm a Wet Blanket™, then we're both drips, my good man. ;)

Sorry, bro. I like the main guy, whose name escapes me at the moment, but that movie was an utter travesty, IMO. Different strokes, methinks.

Don't feel you have to do anything epic. Minimal is just a beautiful as massive production quality.

I'm all about minimal... and sometimes I make it epic as hell! :devil:

I have tremendous difficulty doing anything minimal. Even when I try to I keep hearing things I want to add, and then suddenly the mix is full of extemporaneous garbage. And then I realise "Oh yeah, I like that."

Heheh, yeah--extra stuff can really add depth to a piece. I've found a few different definitions of "minimal" out there, depending on the person, whether it's the number of distinct elements in a tune, or the amount of changes in a piece, which could include notes or structure. Hey, minimal might even pertain to quiet, unobtrusive music.

Okay, now I'm confusing myself! I'm cut off from thinking for the evening.