Joe Legate

The WS Music Project

I'm not overly concerned about bad compression and whatnot for submissions. This is for voting and track order purposes, not for the final release. Nobody should have their opinion of a submission influenced by the compression. There's generally two types of listeners when it comes to that stuff: those who can't tell the difference at all, and those who can, but know that the original sounds better and can imagine pretty clearly what the difference is.

On the subject of compression, at some point, I think that we should strongly encourage people to avoid the overuse of audio level compression (not to be confused with data compression) in their mixes, squeezing out all of that delicious dynamic range. Same thing goes for audio normalization. Processing of that sort is a task for the mastering engineer.

Ben, last night I listened to your remixed track through my ADAM monitors, and it sounded very nice!

Yeah, I agree. What I was talking about was mp3 encoding compression and then MySpace's further compression.

Thanks! I did use a bit of compression on the drums -- they sounded wimpy without it. As for the monitors in my studio? Aiwa shelf system speakers. :blush: But hey, they’re a nicer variety!

I simply meant audio level compression on the whole mix (not individual tracks in a song).

Yeah, I agree. What I was talking about was mp3 encoding compression and then MySpace's further compression.

I certainly thought so.

Just reading the word "compression" made me think of audio level compression, which is woefully overused these days.

Yeah. I hate that shit. I especially hate how it's used on distorted guitars in so-called "heavy" music, to make them inaudible and not remotely heavy.

I'm working on an instrumental that, if it comes out like I hope, will sound a little like Satie if he was a shoegazer. Whether that's a good thing or bad I don't know.

Yesssss...shoegaze would totally fit into this project. Can't wait to hear it.

Now all we need to do is get Seefeel, circa 1993, in on this thing and we're set.

Ha! If I could do that, I would. My idea is far less subtle than either Seefeel or Satie, though, and it's proving to be a pain in the ass.

I have a feeling my material is going to stick out like a sore thumb just by having any grinding guitars and double bass drumming at all. :)

I have a feeling my material is going to stick out like a sore thumb just by having any grinding guitars and double bass drumming at all. :)

Bah...who cares. Everyone likes different stuff to sip to. That's part of the allure to this whole idea.

can I submit a song?

Hells to the yeah, Silent Bob. Please do. Submit 4.

Don't fret, my submission will stick out like a turd in a punch bowl. (Sorry for the imagery :devil:).

The song on the myspace site sounds great! Long time since i listened to anything like that and i had completely forgotten how much i love that kind of music :D

Great work, would love to hear more! Too bad i'm no good at making music, otherwise i would definitely participate in this. Altough my track would propably be some kind of ambienty and slow sixties hippie crap song :D

Along the lines of The Zombies - Time Of The Season or Aphrodites Child - Four Horsemen....

But if you ever manage to make a full cd (or preferably vinyl ;)) i will definitely buy one!

Oh, btw, i have done some dj:ing occasionally and have been trying to create a dj set for an absinthe sipping session. If i ever manage to make anything worth listening i can upload it somewhere if you're interested :)

I got a bunch of recordings to choose from .. I should probably only donate one song

It's original multi track stuff done either by myself or with a few band members.

I'm not sure if any of our songs would be anything to sip absinthe to ... maybe a few of them might

You can listen to a few of them at www.myspace.com/noarrowmusic

I'm the guy with the guitar :wave2:

I still can't hear the song on MySpace. My computer doesn't want to play any sounds, except for itunes at the moment, which seems to be a common Vista problem, but I have not found a solution yet. Very frustrating.

I got a bunch of recordings to choose from .. I should probably only donate one song

Hey Wayek, a contribution from you would be much appreciated. Bear in mind that you can submit multiple songs for consideration, and it's almost definite only one will be selected (and you can request only one be selected, as well).

I really don't know what to send in

if anyone has listened to anything on that page feel free to suggest something

I was thinking one of the not-so-heavy songs but if you've sipped absinthe to 'the pissing song' then thats okay too. :cheers:

I really don't know what to send in

if anyone has listened to anything on that page feel free to suggest something

I was thinking one of the not-so-heavy songs but if you've sipped absinthe to 'the pissing song' then thats okay too. :cheers:

There is nothing wrong about submitting new material with la fee verte as your muse.

:cheers:

I was about to say the same thing Peridot.

Wayek, I really like Colderside of the Sun, but I think you could make it even cooler (or, uh, Colder) if you did a another version or remix with absinthe specifically in mind, and it might also be more likely for the submissions panel to accept it. Just my 2 pence.

edit: basically what C. just said.