Joe Legate

The WS Music Project

I would definitely like to be on this committee. I may not be a musician, but I am in the music industry and feel I could offer good input.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Fellahs?

Dang. I just looked at the Kunaki web site Peridot recommended. Even though our stuff seems much better in quality, their service seems to be outstanding and pretty dang cheap. It might work out better after all.

I really want to be on the committee, though.

They make a good product and the overhead is damn near unbeatable. I know a couple people who have worked with them and they’ve never had any complaints. Reprints on demand, bar code service, Amazon / CD Baby sales / delivery directly to retailers…it’s a good service.

Really, what this all comes down to is who’s footing the bill for the project and how much said person(s) is willing to drop once everything is compiled.

Well, Alyssa, the issue with Kunaki isn't quality, as theirs is really outstanding (the photos on the website don't do it justice at all). The issue is creative limitation. I would love to have more room for creativity, and your product does look incredible, but it's tough to beat the no-money-down aspect and production time they provide. With their service nobody really has to commit any money.

But since Annexed Asylum will probably not use Kunaki for our full length album I'll tell the other guys about your services and see if that's something they'd go for. I'm doing a lot of artwork for it that demands an expanded booklet.

So now the panel is me, precenphix, jay, and you. So there's one more slot open. scuto? c. hoefler?

That is exactly what I was noticing, no money commitment. Plus it would make handling shipping and everything a breeze.

This is going to be such a fun project.

So now the panel is me, precenphix, jay, and you. So there's one more slot open. scuto? c. hoefler?

Sure, I'd be happy to join the panel.

Okay, I've got a simple MySpace page for uploading songs. I'm not doing anything special with it graphically, nor going and getting a lot of friends. It's just a tool for the time being.

Edit: precenphix, I've just finished listening to the original version of that track, and I'm a couple minutes into your version, which is much more my sort of style. It's quite excellent.

Second edit: Man, what's really freaky is how well it matches in mood, key, and tempo with the first song I started working on for this project. They could go on the same album, not just the same compliation.

Well, that’s a plus. Thanks! My thing’s pretty anthematic, so I can’t wait to hear your bit once you upload the sucker. Keep on pluggin’. Maybe these two can appear side by side if the panel digs ‘em.

Are you taking care of putting things up on this MySpace page?

So far, yeah. But if anyone on the panel wants access to the email address and myspace page, just let me know and I'll send the passwords.

You're raising the bar pretty early here. Your submission has already given me ideas to enhance mine.

I figured that the songs would be voted on by the panel. I'd rather do that than have the entire membership listening to everything, because it would be great for everyone to be able to buy something they haven't heard in its entirety already.

Is the plan to upload submissions to the public myspace page?

I like Peridot's idea of keeping things a bit veiled so that the listenership will be eager to buy something fresh to their ears.

(That being stated, I enjoyed Ben's track).

:cheers:

Yeah, I'd generally prefer to keep everything just in the ears of the panel, but what the hell. Until we have a better way we can use the MySpace. I could have just PM'd the panel with the URL instead of posting it but anyone who cared could find it easily enough.

That's probably where this FTP thing will come in handy. We could still use the e-mail address, but upload the results there so only the panel can get into it.

Glad you guys liked what you heard thus far. I had to re-encode the thing twice just so it would fit under 10MB. Loaded with artifacts!

We can send the files to each other via YouSendIt, which is free. It is very easy. I do it with business all the time. Then we can keep up the mystery. You can send up to 100MB

I've this before. Doesn't it get to be a pain in the ass with download limits per hour / day? Or is that Rapidshare...

No, not that I have ever experienced.

It works pretty good. For files under 100MB, you don't even need to register, login in or anything. It's really very easy.

As long as we keep it under wraps, I guess that's alright. There is a limit to the number of downloads per file, however. I remember that. So if we're going to do the whole cloak and dagger thing, we should definitely keep it between the 5 panel members. So, for ease of use and to compile everything in one place, the FTP option still might be a good idea.

I'm sure the board members (mods) will be interested in what's going on as well, so they should be let in...unless of course they want a surprise ending as well.

Gwyd, Mrs. Gwyd, Joe, Jules, Brian, MMarking, Zman, Ari...thoughts?

I think you are thinking about a different system. I have sent the files simultaneously to many people with this system. You can add as many email addresses as you want. I use this in my office because my graphic design projects are such large files. But it doesn't really matter, I'm just trying to offer up some ideas of things we can do now to get music shared.

EDIT: Oops, there is a limit. There is a limit of 100 downloads per file. I just never got up to that limit.

OHH!!! My bad, my bad. I know what you're talking about now. Sorry.

I've used this myself a while back to send out the exact same track I uploaded for this project. It does work well. I thought there was some kind of limit on the number of e-mail addresses, but I guess I'm wrong.

We'll get it all worked out. Not trying to step on your toes at all, Alyssa!

Edit: Ha! Knew there was a catch! We'll never hit that limit, though. Not even close.

Here's my thought -- if there's an FTP setup, we can put mp3s there for us all to grab, using the e-mail address as a vessel to get them from the various artists. That way there's less need for multiple account setups.

After everything is sorted out and the tracks / continuity are chosen for the final release, we contact the artists and have them upload their mixed down masters to an individual YouSendIt account (with plenty of space), providing us with the varying links. From there, these files are placed on the FTP site for all to review before mastering begins, keeping the FTP address a secret from all but us.

Finally, whichever one of us ends up doing the mastering for the final release grabs all of these files and gets to work. After which, the FTP can be used to upload the final, mastered copies of the tracks for review by the panel and submission to Kunaki or whatever pressing agent we decide to use.

Sound like a plan?

I don't really know how YouSendIt works. Can we keep all the submissions together in one place online with it?

It doesn't really work like that. Basically, it allows you to send files from yourself to a person or group of people for them to download onto their own computer. Storing them together on your computer would be up to you. But it is free, and you can send to many people at once.

Okay, I've got a simple MySpace page for uploading songs. I'm not doing anything special with it graphically, nor going and getting a lot of friends. It's just a tool for the time being.

Edit: precenphix, I've just finished listening to the original version of that track, and I'm a couple minutes into your version, which is much more my sort of style. It's quite excellent.

Second edit: Man, what's really freaky is how well it matches in mood, key, and tempo with the first song I started working on for this project. They could go on the same album, not just the same compliation.

Thanks for setting up the MySpace page, Peridot.

And precenphix, I really like what you've laid down here. Of course, anything that starts off with rumbling thunder that reminds me of The Cure's "Same Deep Water As You" already has a leg up :laugh:

Peridot, YouSendIt is a lot like Rapidshare or Megaupload, if you've ever used those. You'll have a link that you can provide people with to download a song, but other songs are not accessible via the same link. That being said -- if I recall correctly, you can provide people with a link to your user profile, and they can see all of the downloadable files you've made available, so as long as you haven't uploaded unrelated files, they'd all be "grouped" together, so to speak.

Yeah, my girlfriend told me to start my first submission idea with rain, and I said, "I've done it on about 10 songs before. I don't think I'm allowed to do it anymore." And now it's good I didn't cuz precenphix nailed it.

Sure, I'd be happy to join the panel.

:cheers: I vote for C., too! I admit I was hesitant due to my indecisiveness and creative sloth at the moment. :twitchsmile:

Yeah, my girlfriend told me to start my first submission idea with rain, and I said, "I've done it on about 10 songs before. I don't think I'm allowed to do it anymore."

:laf:

And now it's good I didn't cuz precenphix nailed it.

Word to that.

Hmmmm. I could not get the song to play on MySpace last night, so I still couldn't hear it. It was strange. Other band pages would play, just not that track. MySpace is blocked at my office, so I can't hear it hear, either. :thumbdown:

I think all offices block MySpace by default. At any rate, MySpace is notorious for those kinds of problems with their media. I didn't have any problems listening to it last night, but suffice to say I’ve had my fair share of problems with their audio player over the years.

Took a listen through my wife’s cruddy little PC speakers and it’s completely devoid of bass. I’ll be listening to any submissions in my studio from here on out. Another thing about MySpace and / or YouTube is the horrible compression / aliasing and artifacts in the audio. This is where YouSendIt and the like will come in handy. Even a 192Kbps mp3 will sound better than what’s going on with MySpace.