Joe Legate

The WS Music Project

My first submission is up at the project MySpace page. I'll have a slightly better mix for the final.

Nicely played, good man! Slightly reminiscent of a Tool-meets-Alice In Chains hybrid, if you don't mind the comparisons. Just in time for Election Day, too...

Glad y'all dig it. I've uploaded the second track, an instrumental called "Craving". Now I only one song left to finish (I still have to record vocals for it whenever I get a chance).

[slightly reminiscent of a Tool-meets-Alice In Chains hybrid, if you don't mind the comparisons.

I don't mind the comparisons at all, but I don't hear it. :) To me there's more Agalloch than anything in there... more than I really ever intended actually. I think I kind of ripped off two of their songs in it.

I’m going to be moving in under two weeks which is going to require me to tear down my studio. It should be back up and running at the new place by the weekend of the 21st at the very latest, but I’m going to be pretty busy.

Should the mastering process begin, what will be required of the artists? Are we just submitting a final mixdown for mastering or are we sending in each separate track per song? I wasn’t sure just how involved we were going to be with this.

In other news, I have a pretty strong extension going to Nocturne in Gradient that would serve as the second part of the track. It could use a few more tricks and things to thicken it up / make it more interesting. Not sure if I’ll have the time to pull if off properly before I begin tearing everything down, but it’s possible.

I’m still really bummed that the two other things I had cooking aren’t going to be realized in time for this run. “Ridge Autumnal” promised to be very warm and comforting which would have really been a nice contrast to the other submissions thus far.

Peridot, I’ll try to check your tracks out tonight. I had a cursory listen this morning from another room, but I’ll try to dedicate some time to get into it more this evening.

Just checked out both of Peridot's on sub-par speakers. While "Sea of Avarice" isn't my cup of tea, I appreciate that it falls very much in place with the style of music it's supposed to represent. I am a big fan of when the double bass pedal kicks in on this one, however. Top notch. The vocal harmonies are really quite good...and I do get the AiC reference in that regard. I think that's where Jay was going with his comments.

"Crave" is more up my alley. Skillfully crafted. The drum rolls suffer from the machine gun effect a bit during some of the quicker parts, but that's easily fixed with a bit of round robin replacement. No biggie either way.

Overall, two definite contenders in my book. Everyone else get cranking! I'd love to get something else done, but I'm not sure it's in the cards. I'm still thinking a full album by the new year is kind of a pipe dream, but this remains to be seen...

I've uploaded scuto's track, "A Louche, in Time, Sips Fine." If I have one complaint about it it's that I wish it was the full 8 minutes allowed. :)

I'm also setting it up so that the newest additions to the playlist are on top.

Get cracking, people. We need to try to get everything in within the next few weeks.

Precenphix, for mastering we're going to do it compilation style. Uncompressed, unmastered finished song files, not individual instrument tracks. Some of the stuff I've heard is too hot and is clipping some, and will have to be submitted at lower volume before mastering will be possible.

And whoever's working on artwork, now would be a good time to get started.

Oh, and so far I haven't heard a thing that I would hesitate to vote for including on the compilation.

Thanks, y'all! It was much fun to make, figuring out how to stylize a louche into sound without being too obvious or literal.

If I have one complaint about it it's that I wish it was the full 8 minutes allowed. :)

:blush: Thanks, man.

In my defense, I don't think I've ever taken 8 minute to louche an absinthe. ;) (Or is that too literal? Hmm.)

I'll have to check out this Lusine ICL.

I finally made it over to the MySpace page and listened to all the tracks that have been submitted so far. Outstanding! I enjoyed every one of them, for very different reasons. I really can't wait to buy this thing! :cheers:

Just so we can get more organized, could everyone who is planning to submit something check in with their ETA?

If all goes according to plan, I'll have a second half of "nocturne in gradient" ready to be submitted as a final mastered wav file along with my other submission by the first week in December if that sits well. Is that early enough for everyone on the board's liking?

I am pretty much done with my one track. I had a couple of older ones I wanted to use but the hassle of reconstituting all the original files to make a high quality WAV or whatever of them was way more trouble than it's worth. I'll upload an MP3 in a couple days when I'm at a computer that will actually do that..

Well, unfortunately, I can't submit my prototype track since it only exists in MP3 format now (the original was lost in a computer crash).

I'm still working on my main track, and I just realized that the beat and tonality has a lot in common with the other song, so in a way it really was a prototype. I'll just have to use that cool super bell echo piano again on another song in the future.

I thought I'd be done with my current song by now, but I just can't keep things simple apparently. Hopefully it'll be done soon, I'll just keep plugging away and hopefully the last possible moment to submit wont pass me by. I remain optimistic.

I remain optimistic

Is there any other way? You music guys are really doing something that I can only wait for. I haven't heard a single bit of this project but I'm excited about it.

I've recorded vocals for my last submission for this volume. I just have to finish piecing it together.

Actually, with about 3 hours more work I could have all of my material completely ready for mastering.

Thanks. :cheers:

I was a little concerned when I first saw these that my voice got off-key a good bit on melodic parts, and that's a realistic assumption since I had no monitors and couldn't hear myself at all that night, but I think it's more because of the camera. The guitars have some funky off-notes that I know were not there so I think there's some weird shifting of the sound at points in the recording.

How are we going for submissions? I've come back from overseas and have some time to work on music again, so I'm wondering if there's an 'updated' deadline? End of November? I'd really like to contribute something, but if I don't make this volume, I'll definitely get to Volume II.

End of November is optimal. No later than first week of December unless we just don't have enough submissions to reasonably fill a CD.

Given my current circumstances, I think I’ll still be able to get everything currently created in by that time. That said, where are we uploading our tracks in uncompressed format? Has that been figured out yet?

It's being uploaded as I type this to the MySpace page.

This would be a great last track. It's atmospheric and droning, and pretty claustrophobic, too.