Joe Legate

The WS Music Project

hell yeah, seein's how yer fingers are jello...!

Oh man, now you made me think of the opening scene in Goodfellas.

Sir Mix-a-lot would be closer to the mark...!

A lucrative video project just fell into my lap that will pretty much consume all my free time for the next two weeks, so I guess I’m going to have to be satisfied with the 2 things I’ve already submitted. Even if there’s an extension, preparing to move to the new house is going to eat a bunch of time as well. Too bad, actually. The 2 or 3 things I had lined up are precisely the kind of thing I would listen to when having a glass.

I started something extremely dark, drone-filled and ambient last week. Maybe I’ll be able to do something with it in time, but I doubt it.

Which is precisely why we should really aim for a second CD...Although I'm definitely jumping ahead, it seems the music project idea has inspired a lot folks that will still have stuff on the burner after the first one. Hopefully- jumping way, way ahead- there will be many in a long series.

Ha!

And yes, I punch in instead of play through because I write as I record. It's easier to piece a song together structurally that way.

:cheers:

However, I do record a few takes of the same pattern if it is repeated at any point, so I can have that variety of "feel" (for lack of a better term).

I just realized my track is more "music to louche by" than "music to drink absinthe by," in that it's a very very stylized aural approximation of a louche. Might not be all that mellow, though it is celebratory in a way.

However, I do record a few takes of the same pattern if it is repeated at any point, so I can have that variety of "feel" (for lack of a better term).

It depends for me. If it's something with a lot of dynamics like acoustic guitar or clean tone electric, I'll do that. But with distorted electric guitar I consider it a challenge. Since I overdub four guitar parts for rhythm guitars it's very tiring to do a bunch of extra takes so I try to play the parts so precisely that there could never be any way to identify whether or not it's multiple takes.

I just realized my track is more "music to louche by" than "music to drink absinthe by," in that it's a very very stylized aural approximation of a louche. Might not be all that mellow, though it is celebratory in a way.

Sweet!

It depends for me. If it's something with a lot of dynamics like acoustic guitar or clean tone electric, I'll do that. But with distorted electric guitar I consider it a challenge. Since I overdub four guitar parts for rhythm guitars it's very tiring to do a bunch of extra takes so I try to play the parts so precisely that there could never be any way to identify whether or not it's multiple takes.

Good points, and now that I think about it I only do multiple takes for the more dynamic instruments as well. I like the thick tone that multiple rhythm guitar tracks can bring. It's going to be very cool to hear all the tracks that people have to offer!

I'm not going to have my stuff done by the 31st. I was going to do it this weekend but I had to go to work on both off days, help a great dane that we're temporarily taking care of adapt to the house, and spent the rest of my time watching football and trying hard to actually relax (fail).

You guys are doing something extremely awesome. Do you realize that? How many people do you know who really follow through on ideas? I'm seeing 1-2 tracks being mentioned by each of you, and even if the Halloween deadline isn't met, you can still make it by the holiday season if you buckle down in the next few weeks.

I can't wait to buy this thing!

I think I'll get my shit nailed down soon. I really don't have a lot of work to do. A weekend should do it for me.

How much more time/flexibility does this mean we have? I *think* I'm very close to finished, but I really need to give it a ton more listens to make sure I'm--and/or it's--not missing something.

Besides that, how many submissions would we actually end up with at this point? I don't think there was ever a proper head count as to who was submitting / planning on submitting what...

Man, we're just winging it. :) I kind of hope that somebody has been hiding out, working on their material in silence, because not a lot of folks have committed to submitting anything. That's part of why I did a third track. We really do have plenty of time to get this done so that it can be on sale during the holidays. Let's try to get it done soon, though. I just did a setup on my guitar and bass this afternoon so that I can get cracking again. I'll be getting on it during the evenings this week.

If we want to do a count, I have three tracks.

I'm just about to turn a corner on mine, I should have it done soon. Maybe not completely polished by Oct. 31, but it should be done in about a week.

I wont be developing my first prototype track, there was too much improv and I'm too much of a DAW noob to go back and completely re-edit it to perfection. I'm fairly happy with it, except for a bit of sloppy playing here and there (though in a way, it does add a bit to the melodic-dissonant dynamic I was going for). I'm willing to submit it also for consideration.

There's a possibility I may be able to come up a third, very simple atmospheric track as well, but I'm trying to stay focused on the one currently percolating for now.

So worst case scenario, I've got my one prototype to submit; best case scenario, I'll have three.

I hope the panel will opt to maintain good standards and I wont take it the wrong way if any or all of my submissions are passed on due to quality or suitability reasons.

Well, that brings up a good point. Getting done sooner than later is good because if there are any sort of technical issues in the submissions they can be addressed and still be included. I'm pretty confident in the abilities of everyone here (who would even submit if they can't hang?) and am fairly certain we're going to be looking at trying to gather enough stuff to fill a reasonable-length CD rather than weeding out material.

So I'll say I count for 2 submissions right now, at least 1 from C. hoefler 1 from Buddhasynth, 1 from Scuto, 2 from Precenphix, 1 from Wayek, 3 from Peridot, and 1 from Beautiful Loosher.

Edit: +1 from Danny Hawaii

Sorry if I missed anyone, please speak up if I did.

13 submissions. Not bad at all.

I'll attempt to finish my one submission by the end of the week, but it turns out that I'm heading overseas for the 2 following weeks for work. So it doesn't look like I'll be able to get to the same level of polish but I'll give it a shot.

Sweet. Bring it on, Danny. More the merrier.

I’m going to have to tear my studio down by next week so I guess I’m going to have to sit on my 2 submissions. I’d really like to contribute something else besides the two I’ve done, but I guess it’s not in the stars, lest we push back a release from the holidays to some other day. When’s absinthe repeal day? Was that ever decided?

The count is better than I had hoped.

Don't worry, precenphix, 2 submissions is good. Instead of pushing back the release, just plan on making stuff for Volume 2.

I read that, and then for some reason a laugh in the style of Ernie from Sesame Street popped into my head. I'll chalk it up to fatigue. :laugh:

Basslines done.

Only lead guitar and vocals left. I'll probably start vocals tomorrow but no guarantees on when that'll get done. I might start lead guitars tonight.

My first submission is up at the project MySpace page. I'll have a slightly better mix for the final.

That sounds good Peridot! Looking forward to hearing the rest of your submissions.

On my front, I've got all the parts written and drum samples picked, I just need to plan out how to arrange everything in the song's final form and then record and mix.