Ron

Legendre Herbsaint is back?!

At times, NYT is also hot garbage. But in this instance, they're fabulous! I think we've all been waiting to give the new formula a test drive. Available in New York also means...shipping to the rest of us!

I really want to find some of this new Herbsaint. Unbelievably badly, I do.

NYTimes is some great exposure. Congrats, fellas.

Spec's should have it pretty soon I would guess.

I have a small sample of it if you would like to stop by and taste.

Edited by eric

Should be available from some online sellers by March. 1st.

I have two pending callbacks from Spec's liquor department managers after they consult their distributor about availability. Maybe I should follow up on one of those. . .

Their distributor already has it ordered...

QUOTE (Brian Robinson @ Nov 20 2009, 09:50 PM)

No, it is an absinthe substitute (all things being equal, it's basically absinthe without wormwood). Pastis is something entirely different.

By the way, that's why I initially thought it was a pastis.

I thought pastis was originally an absinthe substitute.

I was just trying to figure out what Legendre Herbsaint Original really was.

I saw at DrinkUp, however, that it is listed as a liqueur.

Question: Is it truly a limited edition item as DUNY says--as in it won't be available in an ongoing fashion? Because if that is truly the case then I am sad.

That's a really good question Belarmin. I've been wondering about that kind of stuff as well.

This is what I think I understand so far (corrections and additions welcome)-

Pastis is an absinthe substitute but it is not the ONLY class of absinthe substitute*. Pastis also falls under the broader definition of a liqueur (it is a spirit with added sugar, as a opposed to a liquor like absinthe).

From Wikipedia:

"By legal definition, pastis is described as an anise flavored spirit that contains the additional flavor of licorice root, and is bottled with sugar (but no more than 100 grams/l).[2] While pastis was probably originally artisanally produced from whole herbs, modern representations are almost certainly prepared by mixing base alcohol with flavorings (essences and/or extracts)."... and of course, does not contain grande wormwood.

Herbsaint does not meet the definition of pastis, and is therefore a different class of absinthe substitute. However, I'm not familiar with the Herbsaint recipe, so I don't know which of the criteria distinguishes it from pastis.

Question: Is it truly a limited edition item as DUNY says--as in it won't be available in an ongoing fashion? Because if that is truly the case then I am sad.

I would imagine if it sells well, you'll see more.

Just to be able to see it on a shelf is something I never would have thought possible ten years ago.

FWIW, both versions of Herbsaint do not have large production runs, especially when you compare other products Sazerac makes and sells, they produce and sell a lot of other liquor in much, much, larger quantites than Herbsaint.

And yes, I know how much Herbsaint Original they made, and it's not a lot even by modern absinthe standards.

Sazerac really put a lot of work into the Herbsaint Original project, this is something that I'm very happy to have seen happen! :cheers:

Pastis was developed essentially to fill the gap left by absinthe after the ban (also to keep the absinthe makers from folding). It's essentially just a high-proof anise drink of varying levels of complexity. I don't believe it was ever intended as an absinthe substitute per se. I have a Berger pastis mignonette, but I'm not going to open it, yet.

Herbsaint was specifically developed as an absinthe substitute. It's more herbally complex and if the glass of vintage Impy shared with me a few years ago is any indication, it's definitely an inclusion in any desert island scenario I might envision.

That's a really good question Belarmin. I've been wondering about that kind of stuff as well.

This is what I think I understand so far (corrections and additions welcome)-

Pastis is an absinthe substitute but it is not the ONLY class of absinthe substitute*. Pastis also falls under the broader definition of a liqueur (it is a spirit with added sugar, as a opposed to a liquor like absinthe).

From Wikipedia:

"By legal definition, pastis is described as an anise flavored spirit that contains the additional flavor of licorice root, and is bottled with sugar (but no more than 100 grams/l).[2] While pastis was probably originally artisanally produced from whole herbs, modern representations are almost certainly prepared by mixing base alcohol with flavorings (essences and/or extracts)."... and of course, does not contain grande wormwood.

Herbsaint does not meet the definition of pastis, and is therefore a different class of absinthe substitute. However, I'm not familiar with the Herbsaint recipe, so I don't know which of the criteria distinguishes it from pastis.

Pretty much correct, Herbsaint Original is made with whole herbs, and there is no sugar in it.

Back in the day post prohibition, Herbsaint, Milky-Way, and a couple of others were produced alike, and were very high quality products.

I have quite a story's worth of information on this whole segment of green booze history, I just need a 48 hour clock to do it all. plus entertain a young boxer dog.

I have quite a story's worth of information on this whole segment of green booze history, I just need a 48 hour clock to do it all. plus entertain a young boxer dog.

I feel like we've been teased with this "story" for a couple years now. C'MON! Tell it! We're all ears! :cheers:

This has prompted me to make my first purchase on DUNY.

Yah know, I used to just be tempted by passing by the state stores on my way back from work. Now I gotta be distracted AT work; tempted into blowing my money on liquor, over the internet! :thumbup:

And your post prompted me to put in an order of just a few bottles myself, along with a tasty looking Amontillado I've had my eyes on.

A little birdie told me shipping should be on Monday.

Binnys in Chicago should have Herbsaint Original available online.

Washington and Oregon should have it in the stores by April.

There will be another bottling soon, and a couple of southern states like GA & FL should be added to the list.

And your post prompted me to put in an order of just a few bottles myself, along with a tasty looking Amontillado I've had my eyes on.

Looking forward to Herbsaint's imminent arrival on my doorstep, greenimp!

(And Ron, stay out of that cellar!)