Ron

Legendre Herbsaint is back?!

New Orleans will have it first around 12-20-09.

By the time the holidays are over and the wholesalers get in stock it will likely be mid Feb before it's on the shelves.

If I get any more info I'll let every one know.

New Orleans will be fully stocked on Monday. (One store reportedly had a few on the 16th)

Texas, California, Chicago, Florida, and I believe New York will be next as each gets state label approval.

This may be old news to everyone except me, but I just got around to watching All the King's Men and happened to notice a bottle of Herbsaint sitting prominently on the table during a scene with Jude Law and Kate Winslet.

Edit: Whoops and whoops.

New York should have pretty good distribution. (From what I hear)

The Herbsaint Original makes an incredibly smooth Sazerac, and Herbsaint Suissesse (Use Chuck's recipe # 1) http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/suissesse.html

* 1-1/2 ounces Herbsaint Original

* 1/2 ounce orgeat

* White of 1 egg (or 2 tablespoons pasteurized egg white product)

* 1 ounce half-and-half (or 1/2 ounce each whole milk and heavy cream)

* 4 ounces crushed ice

Combine ingredients in a blender, whizz for 5 seconds and pour into a chilled goblet or rocks glass.

I'm playing with some of the old recipes out of the 1930s and 1940s Herbsaint recipe booklets.....more on that later.

So Kamal excitedly posted on Faye's Book today that DUNY has now got the "New Orleans classic" Herbsaint liqueur, and that his supplies are super-limited and that you should order immediately, after which he provided a link...

to the same old modern Herbsaint I can get anywhere. :angry:

Why was this newsworthy? Has he never carried it before?

In other news...

Orgeat is an almond syrup. Fee Brothers makes a nice one.

I have to disagree. Having tried home-made and small-batch commercial orgeat (Small Hands Foods™), I have to say the Torani, Fee Bros. and Monin syrups are as much like orgeat as Sprite is like fresh-squeezed lime juice. Kind of like how you can't buy decent grenadine over the counter for any amount of money.

Edited by Wild Bill Turkey