Ron

Legendre Herbsaint is back?!

So let me get this straight... Herbsaint is and always was a Pastis?

No, it is an absinthe substitute (all things being equal, it's basically absinthe without wormwood). Pastis is something entirely different.

In the USA there were a handful of absinthe substitutes that were different from Pastis, one I've found goes back much earlier than previously known.

Herbsaint is the only survivor of the historical USA brands.

If this is just now coming out, then when I ordered an Herbsaint frappe at Arnaud's on 11/12, they gave me something other than Herbsaint, correct? Les batards!

No, you almost certainly got Herbsaint, but the modern one. All this hoopla is about the much-better-regarded classic formula coming back.

Cool :thumbup:

Now I am very interested in this. Will it be available in Canada? (I'm asking even though I'm pretty sure I know what the answer will be)

Why wouldn't it be? it contains no wormwood so the thujone law wouldnt even apply to it... LCBO should be able to approve it

If this is just now coming out, then when I ordered an Herbsaint frappe at Arnaud's on 11/12, they gave me something other than Herbsaint, correct? Les batards!
Like they said you got the regular stuff.

I know for sure on Dec. 17, You can order a Herbsaint Frappé in New Orleans, and have it made with the new vintage style Herbsaint. I'm having one in New Orleans that day at the media launch. :devil:

Cool :thumbup:

Now I am very interested in this. Will it be available in Canada? (I'm asking even though I'm pretty sure I know what the answer will be)

Why wouldn't it be? it contains no wormwood so the thujone law wouldnt even apply to it... LCBO should be able to approve it

Just because it doesn't contain wormwood mean doesn't mean that they'll stock it. I'm sure they don't stock every liquor that comes there way.

The guy that made Taboo tried getting his Eaux-de-vies into the LCBO for like five years before they finally accepted. There reasoning was "We already get our grappa from Italy". For Herbsaint they'll probably say "We already have an absinthe substitute: Absente!!"

Adding this:

I know for the SAQ, that they make more money off of wine than they do spirits. It's about wine at the SAQ. I think the mark-up difference between wine and spirits is: 40% for wine and 20% spirits. So the SAQ is in no hurry to be stocking new spirits.

Edited by Babble

Any place that carries Sazerac's products should be able to get it.

I don't have any myself, other than the dusty old 30's and 40s stuff in my cabinet.

You should just get rid of that old stuff, Imp. I have some brand new bottles of genuine absinthe that I'll send you in an even trade for all that old absinthe substitute. Don't go on about my generosity, I just like to give back to the community when I can.

Such selfless devotion.

I'm just going to leave that old stuff in cabinet, it would take too much effort to get past the armed guard on the door. :wave2:

gonna try to contact the government monster aka SAQ to have some of that wormwood less stuff

While you're at it tell them to take the damn Clandestine out of their boxes and put them on the goddamn shelves.