Ron

Legendre Herbsaint is back?!

Spec's in Austin, I am told (by their Liquor manager), will not carry the new old Herbsaint on it's shelves. They do, however, have it on their online site for purchase and shipment to TX, and the local store has offered to special deliver two bottles to them with my name on it. :thumbup:

Strange....

I was stuck for 20 mins at the cash registar waiting to check out of the downtown store with "my supply" since they didn't have it in the computer.

A package from DUNY showed up at my house today! I'm glad it contained a couple bottles of Legendre Herbsaint.

Ditto.

I got mine at the main store in Downtown Houston.

I know the supply is somewhat limited, but there should be plenty for Texas.

My package from DUNY turned up today. I'm savoring my first glass of Herbsaint Original right now--traditional drip preparation, at about 2.5:1.

It's very good. Lots of black licorice on the nose, but you discover on your first sip that it's more complex than the aroma would lead you to believe: the anise is balanced by some tasty fennel and other familiar herbs (lemon balm?), though I miss the wormwood. The finish is nice and spicy, with notes of honey and cinnamon.

In the glass, neat, it has a lovely olive hue. Nice, opalescent louche too. Not overly thick.

Very impressive overall!

Honestly, I don't see myself louching a glass of it regularly (after all, why fool around with a substitute when I've got the real stuff--and good stuff, at that--at hand?), but I fully intend to make use of it in cocktails (first up, a Sazerac) and I'm betting it'll make a mean frappe.

though I miss the wormwood.

I was wondering if anyone would say that. I haven't received my shipment yet, so I don't know if I'll feel the same way or not. Either way, everything else you said about it sounds very tasty. I really can't wait to get my bottle!

Even though it does lack that certain wormwood "bite", I think it's closer to true absinthe than any other substitute product I've had. Hell, it's closer to true absinthe than several "true" absinthes I've had, for that matter.

My comment about missing the wormwood in the new Herbsaint was not meant as a slight against it. Or even as a back-handed compliment. It's clearly well-crafted--for what it is. My point was simply that when I'm craving a glass of absinthe, I'll be unlikely to turn to Herbsaint Original, since it (naturally, as an absinthe substitute) lacks one of the defining components of that spirit. In this case, I want the real McCoy, not something that almost tastes like it, but not quite.

On the other hand, if I'm looking to impart some of the flavors associated with absinthe to, say, a cocktail, I'd be very likely to turn to Herbsaint because it is--in that case--a supporting player rather than the lead actor.

By the way, Ubu: love your signature. Luis Bunuel was the man. Have you read his autobiography, My Last Sigh? Hands down the best--and most entertaining--book by a film director in the history of cinema.

I think it's closer to true absinthe than any other substitute product I've had. Hell, it's closer to true absinthe than several "true" absinthes I've had, for that matter.

Absolutely!

Got mine today, and it's real tasty. I'm sipping on my first glass now. :cheers:

I also found a rather fitting article in the issue of Imbibe they slipped into my package. It was a nice touch. :wave2:

That really was a nice touch. All I got was a bottle, but I'm very happy to have it! I haven't tasted it yet, so I'm going to do that now.

Edit: Just had my first glass. I really like the flavor, but the louche never exactly happened. I ended up over-watering it, waiting for some kind of louche action. I didn't do a ten-minute drip from my fountain, but the drip was pretty slow and the water was ice-cold. Has this happened to anyone else?

Despite this, the drink is very enjoyable.

Edited by Ryan Winn (ubu)

I got a louche out of mine, but I took my time with the glass afterwards and it seemed to fade after an hour or so.

I noticed a weak louche as well. But it has a delicious flavor and works very well in cocktails. Not to mention the Herbsaint Frappe, which I seem to be enjoying every day now, it seems :D

The old stuff had a fairly light louche, it doesn't louche like the modern version.

You don't have to have an ultra slow drip, and I'd do about 3 to 1, or 2 to 1 on the water ratio.

I've only used a fountain once or twice,

I prefer to use the Herbsaint drip glasses, they give a perfect ratio every time.

I've had several glasses of this over the last week. I always use a fountain with ice in it and a slow drip. I had no problem obtaining a good louche from it except for one time when I poured a smaller dose in a big glass, and it never did louche. I overwatered it and ended up sinking it. So I think it requires a little coaxing.

Impy, the Herbsaint glasses are basically just the Tarragona glasses, right?

I believe the Tarragona glasses were the inspiration for the Herbsaint Drip glasses, I've seen mention of glass drippers in the 1917 book The Ideal Bartender, by Tom Bullock.

I'd guess that Marion Legendre had some experience with the Tarragona glasses.

I have new information on the Herbsaint glasses that I need to put up my web site, they date far earlier that what was previously known.

Funny, I was looking for a review of the Herbsaint Original here but did not find one. Were the reviews for pastis and others removed?

This is very versatile stuff. I like it prepared traditionally (because it tastes really good!), I like it in a Sazerac, and I like it mixed with an energy drink. I have yet to try a Monkey Gland, but I think this is what I'll use when I do.

Were the reviews for pastis and others removed?

Yep.

Why were they removed? I thought reviews of drinks such as Tourment Vert, Hill's and Absente were important for the education.

Edit: I've since seen the discussion on this in WS Reviews Module Thread.

Edited by Babble

I bought a bottle of the Original and Veritas. Both tasted similar. The louche was a bit weak, like the Vieux Carre I have, with a strong anise aroma, but an herbal/floral taste. I enjoyed it.