Ron

Legendre Herbsaint is back?!

Saw this over at FV. I didn't see a mention of it here, so I figured I'd share. I'm kind of excited about this. Looks like the COLA has already been approved too. I did notice FD&C Yellow 5 listed on the label though, not sure how authentic it will be to the original, as I don't know a lot about the original. Hopefully it will be absinthe this time, and actually include wormwood. The COLA has the standard bit in there requiring it to be "Thujone-free."

publicViewAttachment.do?filetype=l&filename=HER%20Other.JPG

publicViewAttachment.do?filetype=l&filename=HER%20Face.JPG

publicViewAttachment.do?filetype=l&filename=HER%20Back.JPG

I did notice FD&C Yellow 5 listed on the label though

Mmmmmmm, my favourite herb.

There's been some discussion of it here somewhere, Ron, possibly in one of last year's Tales of the Cocktail threads.

If it tastes anything like the old stuff, I'm excited. Any idea on ETA, Imp?

It's going to be at Tales of course, I believe they will announce the release date at Tales.

And maybe something might get said about the 75th anniversary too. ;)

Legendre Herbsaint never went away, all of it's American counterparts one, by one, have gone away.

As markets change, the focus of Herbsaint in many eyes changed to a cocktail ingredient for several years.

For many, myself included, this was the first taste of something that approximated absinthe, back in the days before one could get a bottle of absinthe with relative ease.

Btw.......the color has been used since the latter 1950s.

The uneducated consumers didn't understand feuille morte.

1959HerbsaintLabelbackcopy.jpg

Yeah, I did a quick search and came up with a bajillion matches, probably every post that greenimp has ever made! So I just looked at the recent ones and I didn't see any since the COLA approval a couple weeks ago. I knew there had to be some talk though, and you're probably right that it would be in a ToTC thread.

Also, I should have known that imp would have the skinny on this!

Happy days.

I was curious about the title of this thread, because I hadn't thought that Herbsaint had disappeared.

We've carried it for years, and I think that there will always be a place for it. If nothing else, it is so much less expensive than absinthe, so more bars and restaurants can carry it.

It's also a nice "test" spirit. When absinthe first came back on the market here, and I was fielding questions from the curious, one of the first questions that I would ask customers is, "Do you like pastis, such as Herbsaint, Pernod, or Ricard?" If they said that they didn't know those products, then I'd ask them if they liked star anise or licorice. If they said no, then I'd tell them, "Well, then you'd probably HATE absinthe, then!"

If Herbsaint is being reformulated to absinthe standards, then I'll carry it as well, happily so. :)

<script style="display: none;" src="http://shots.snap.com//client/inject.js?site_name=0" type="text/javascript">

The Herbsaint absinthe is a new addition to the Sazerac Co. line up, the regular Herbsaint will still be around. It's still my favorite for a Sazerac

I'd imagine that Sazerac will soon activate the absinthe sign on their website:

The Sazerac Company

I gotta start wearing my computer glasses :twitchsmile:

The Herbsaint absinthe is a new addition to the Sazerac Co. line up, the regular Herbsaint will still be around.

I'd imagine that Sazerac will soon activate the absinthe sign on their website:

Sazerarc Company

Oh, boy, then this is really good news! Thanks for the head's-up!

<script style="display: none;" src="http://shots.snap.com//client/inject.js?site_name=0" type="text/javascript">

It's also a nice "test" spirit. When absinthe first came back on the market here, and I was fielding questions from the curious, one of the first questions that I would ask customers is, "Do you like pastis, such as Herbsaint, Pernod, or Ricard?" If they said that they didn't know those products, then I'd ask them if they liked star anise or licorice. If they said no, then I'd tell them, "Well, then you'd probably HATE absinthe, then!"

Actually Joe, there are a lot of licorice haters drinking absinthe now. We make a lot of converts.

Once they get a chance to taste several well-balanced absinthes next to the anise-heavy mass-market brands, they find all the other flavors.

Just last night I was sitting at a bar and someone asked the bartender about the absinthe drips he was making:

She: Ooooh. What's that??

He: Absinthe.

She: Wow, really? The real thing? I heard it was legal now. What does it taste like?

He: Black licorice.

She: Oh, I'm glad you told me. I'd hate it.

Lost sale.

It should have gone more like this:

She: Wow, really? The real thing? I heard it was legal now. What does it taste like?

He: It's very herbal but light, sweet and crisp, with licorice overtones, some brands more than others. We have a sampling flight of four brands if you care to taste the differences. It's nice to know about these sorts of things.

She: Oh, cool, let's try some!!

Actually Joe, there are a lot of licorice haters drinking absinthe now. We make a lot of converts.

Once they get a chance to taste several well-balanced absinthes next to the anise-heavy mass-market brands, they find all the other flavors.

Just last night I was sitting at a bar and someone asked the bartender about the absinthe drips he was making:

He: Black licorice.

She: Oh, I'm glad you told me. I'd hate it.

Lost sale.

It should have gone more like this:

He: It's very herbal but light, sweet and crisp, with licorice overtones, some brands more than others. We have a sampling flight of four brands if you care to taste the differences. It's nice to know about these sorts of things.

She: Oh, cool, let's try some!!

Of course, you're absolutely right, Gwydion, and I've learned a lot in a short time, but I think at the time, my biggest concern was fear that I'd talk customers into spending $55-70 on a bottle and have them hate it, and return the bottles, now topped off with buyer's remorse.

I did sell quite a lot of absinthe when it first arrived, with Lucid on the counter, then Kübler, but I also encouraged customers to go to some of the better bars and restaurants in town which I knew were carrying it, and try some, especially in a cocktail. If they liked that, then I could sell them some for home use.

Lately, I'm beginning to think that Mata Hari might be just the right absinthe for folks who dislike licorice/star anise. I hate to use the term "starter", because I'd rather sell someone a traditional Swiss/French style absinthe to introduce them to it.

Lately, I'm beginning to think that Mata Hari might be just the right absinthe for folks who dislike licorice/star anise.

While Mata Hari isn't bad (I like it in cocktails and such), it still is very far from what traditional absinthe tastes like.

What is this?

By the way, great to see you yesterday, Joe. If any of you are in the DC area, stop by his place. He's got an awesome selection, including many of the Del Maguey Mezcals (which are unbelievably hard to find), Fever Tree and Fentimans products, great scotches, and even Marteau!

Yeah, I have a friend who hates licorice. He didn't like absinthe at first because all he could taste was the anise, but he really gave it a chance. When he discovered all of the other herbs he found he could barely taste the anise anymore and that it wasn't the same as a licorice flavour at all.

What is this?

By the way, great to see you yesterday, Joe. If any of you are in the DC area, stop by his place. He's got an awesome selection, including many of the Del Maguey Mezcals (which are unbelievably hard to find), Fever Tree and Fentimans products, great scotches, and even Marteau!

Man, you got me. I'll have to take a look in my control panel or something.

Thanks for the mention, Brian. :) You're too kind!

Actually Joe, there are a lot of licorice haters drinking absinthe now.

:wave2:

I have never cared for licorice but I have always enjoyed absinthe. To me, they're miles apart in flavor.

I have never cared for licorice

You and me, both. I actually find star anise to be pretty icky because, to me, it tastes like a bad box of "Good 'n Plenty". Finding Spanish anise and distilling it was a revelation.

I actually find star anise to be pretty icky because, to me, it tastes like a bad box of "Good 'n Plenty"

Yep!

I could be way off but I seem to be sensitive to star anise...is that possible?

I have friends who love licorice candy. Real authentic licorice candy, that's usually imported. They'd offer me a piece, and I'd take one. I didn't hate it, but one was enough for the next six months.

Needless to say, the "licorice" flavor of absinthe has never been a problem. I know quite a few people that hate licorice, but like absinthe. Like Gwydion says, absinthe is an herbal spirit based on anise and wormwood and other herbs.

There is a deli/cafe/store near us that serves wonderful food and they have over one hundred types/brands of licorice in stock. Lots of imported cheeses and so forth. We need to visit them again soon! Yummy stuff.

I'm just not a big fan of licorice. <shrug>

I could be way off but I seem to be sensitive, is that possible?

Well, if you hang around with those theatre people ya gotta expect a little weirdness creeping into your life. It starts simply enough with a little eyeliner and before long, you're going through a box of Kleenix while you watch Thelma and Louise.

I gotta get me a bottle of that Herbsaint absinthe. Oh yes, I do.

Yet another non-fan of licorice here who likes absinthe. :wave2:

Like DP, one of those Panda brand licorice candies is good--the best licorice I've had--but one is enough for a good long while.

Also very curious about this here Herbsaint absinthe. I need to see about getting regular Herbsaint 'round these parts.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the original Herbsaint from the 1930's didn't include Grande Wormwood, right?

I'm presuming the new Herbsaint Absinthe does indeed contain AA.

The reason I ask is because the publicity material for the TotC states that it's the original formula from the 1930s, which confused me a bit.