Photo

Absinthe & Flamethrowers: Projects and Ruminations on the Art of Living Dangerously

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Riley

Joe Riley

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

While it sounds as though absinthe is only one discussion in this new book, I'm curious to see how the author discusses it, especially on the inevitable book tour which should accompany publication

Absinthe & Flamethrowers: Projects and Ruminations on the Art of Living Dangerously

Whatever the author, William Gurstelle, happens to have written, I'm just hoping that he provides good information and doesn't dwell on misleading bunk.

Anyone seen this book yet, or read a review?
Fine Spirits Manager,Ace Beverage Washington, D.C.

#2 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:26 PM

Sign in to your Amazon account, and, clicking "Surprise me," you can look through a few of the pages, including 3 of the absinthe pages. It seems that he consulted with Dr. Lachenmeier, so that's a good start.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#3 Joe Riley

Joe Riley

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:43 AM

Sign in to your Amazon account, and, clicking "Surprise me," you can look through a few of the pages, including 3 of the absinthe pages. It seems that he consulted with Dr. Lachenmeier, so that's a good start.

Very nice, Alan, thanks. :)

<script style="display: none;" src="http://shots.snap.co...js?site_name=0" type="text/javascript">

#4 MMarking

MMarking

Resident Francophile

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:25 AM

Just the mere fact that absinthe is in the title of a book with instructions for making things that blow up leads me to believe that there will be more misinformation involving drinking something on fire. Tsk, tsk. :nono:
Good friends are the family you wish you had been born into.

War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate.
Marvin Gaye

#5 Gertz

Gertz

Stale pastry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:14 AM

The author says a bit about the book here.
+

#6 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

Like Molly, when I saw this title I balked. The article was OK. Not great, but not awful.

The comments, though... I needed to stop reading. :thumbdown:
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#7 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:50 AM

Seconded, ol buddy.

Reading the DROVES of ignorant comments here makes it feel like we've gotten nowhere.

"Is the horrible licorice taste of Absente unique to that brand? Does Taboo taste significantly better or not? My friends and I have already wasted our money on Absente and we just assumed that all Absinthe is horrible."

Comments like these make me want to weep tears of defeat, because even if we can make it so far as to educate everyone not to flame absinthe, and what genuine absinthe is, we'll never be able to erase this misconception...
At least it's not Le Tourment Vert...

15 minutes of reading could save you $50 or more on shit absinthe:

www.absinthe-review.net

#8 Joe Riley

Joe Riley

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:09 AM

The book's author is doing quite a lot of guest blogging on BoingBoing.net Perhaps that would be an avenue to address any misleading statements regarding absinthe, and clear up consumer confusion? It might even draw some visitors here to learn and educate themselves.

Just a thought.

*Edit: He even discusses his book's new review in the NYT on BoingBoing today: http://www.boingboin...nd-flameth.html

Edited by Joe Riley, 10 June 2009 - 07:12 AM.

#9 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:22 AM

From reading over the available pages, the book seems to be a discussion of Type T personalities and some of the things they've tried.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association