Gwydion Stone

2005 Absinthiades in Pontarlier

Ha!

(i was going to add a comment similar to "well, how about you let ME risk it" but then i remembered that this place is supposed to be civil, and unlike the boardinghouse i'm usually at.)

cheers, papaPV.

my wife was flattered by the comment...

amazingly enough she is sexier after having a baby, but it doesn't mean i'll risk it a second time...

Wow, Peter, she kinda reminds me of a younger Helen Mirren, and I always found her to be incredibly sexy! :cheers:

Extracted from the Alandia site:

Jury 1 : 1st Kübler 45%, 2nd Partisane 65%, 3rd Versinthe La Blanche and Un Emile 45%

Jury 2 : 1st Clandestine FrancoSuisse 55%, 2nd Blanche de l´Heure Verte 60%, 3rd Libertine Amer 68%

My questions are: Why two juries? Why no overlap in the winners? What do the WS members think of these rankings?

What do I think?

The new an improved UE45 must have had a stellar improvement to make 3rd and ahead of so many other brands.

They need better people on the juries. And they need to stop watering down good absinthe to make "french" versions.

They need to have more experienced people in the jury. That is the main issue. The next thing is that there was so many bad absinthes it was hard to choose which was worse.

They need to learn a thing or two about absinthe and tastings in general.

You can't expect results to be perfectly "honest" when you only get one glass which you re-use all the time. After having an anise or fennel packed absinthe with that scent and taste sticking to the glass, the next can't be properly judged.

Let me put it gently this way. It was only me and my "neighbour" at my table who repeatedly asked for new glasses...

...and I must keep on... What the cuddle's up with the Partisane?!

Although I bet it cleans off glass easier I have a couple plastic goblets that I use every once in awhile. A good scrubbing and a trip through the dishwasher later and you can still smell absinthe in them. Matter of fact I haven't used them in at least 2 months and I just went and smelled one, mmm fennel.

How are the tastings done? Did they rate one absinthe fully and then move on to another?

Yes, pretty much. A score sheet with scoring for color, aroma and taste. You could of course changes scores on previous ones, and go back to taste a previous one again if you wanted. Also, there was no set rule for how to treat the score for color in a blanche. That was pretty much made up along the way. "If you like a clear absinthe, then you score it like that..." !?!? WTF? Is it a blanche? Yes. Is it clear? Yes. Does it louche nicely? Yes. Then it's a perfect score.

BAH!

Sounds like they need some serious changes in their judging system.

When I did my 4 tasting I listed on FV I each step at the same time figuring I couldn't smell well with the taste of the last glass in my mouth. Even then I had to take mini breaks and coffee sniffing breaks to clear my nose. It quickly got full and I really couldn't smell much else in the other drinks.

Also one other question, was it a sip swish spit tasting or a gulp gulp gulp all done kind of tasting?

Either way you wanted. If you cared to spit - there's a bucket for you. If you care to sip, go ahead. If you care to gulp - suit your self - there's 12 to try...

How were the jurors selected? Is it possible to make suggestions for the next round/competition? Would it receive serious consideration or is this too much of an insiders game?

If two panels/juries, why not break them down according to "distilled" versus macerated or other more meaningful distinctions?

I don't think there's much of a selection. It shouldn't be a problem to enter the jury for anyone who wish to volunteer. I considered joining, but ended up thinking that there would be funnier ways to spend that couple of hours.

Apparently an artisan has his own 'brew'  almost ready and I'm pretty curious to be honest..

Sounds like I finally became an artisan after screwing up a promising academic career as a mad scientist. That's just fine. But I do not *brew* anything!